It’s About Time!

Okay, so, I’ll chalk it up to big misunderstanding, but when Emily said she could get us into the Ronny Stash & the Good Deeds concert for free, I assumed that meant she had tickets for the show.

We agreed to meet at the venue, and I stood at the Flack Street entrance for a time, trying to look as cool in my leather jacket and motorcycle boots as I listened to the muted sounds of guitars and drums emanating from the opening band’s set inside. After scrutinizing my Don’t Metal with Me Watch for a  little over an hour – and after a series of suspicious looks from the hulking bouncer at the door –   Emily finally showed up.

I was mildly miffed not only at her apparent lack of respect for punctuality, but by the fact that she was wearing the same watch. But I have to admit that I thought it showed a lot of insight on her part to accent the tranquil Clairvoyant Dress with the punky edge of the unisex Don’t Metal with Me Watch.

“Where’ve you been?” I interrogated.  “I’ve been waiting for you for over an hour now!”

“Where have I been? I could ask the same of you!” Emily responded as she stood there in her Pistachio Sundae Heels, brandishing a bewildered look.  “I’ve been waiting for you where I told you I’d be – the back, secret entrance!”

“Oh! Sorry, I thought you said the Flack Street entrance!”

“Well, it doesn’t matter anymore, Richard.” At that moment, Emily reached into her Take the Wheel Purse and withdrew two laminated badges attached to lengths of cord. “I got the backstage passes from my cousin who’s the guitar tech for Ronny Stash. I met him round back at the band’s entrance. He’s still back there holding the door, waiting for us.”

“Are you serious?! Wow, okay. Let’s go then!” I exclaimed. We hung the passes from our necks, and then I followed Emily back to the correct entryway in disbelief that I was about to meet one of my musical heroes!

What about you, ModReaders? What would you wear to a performance of your favorite band? Have you ever met one of your favorite musicians?

Share:FacebookPinterestTwitterGoogle+tumblr

0 Responses to It’s About Time!

1. Bree 03/11/2010 at 3:01 pm #

I usually just don a t-shirt and some jeans, because that’s the most practical thing to be wearing front row where things are bound to get ruined!

But I actually *have* met my idol once. He’s a drummer of my favorite band – they are a Japanese band and at the time, they had just started touring in the States.

Anyway! They were a part of the Family Values Tour one year (2006, I think), and I was able to catch the Moline Concert. After their concert, they were scheduled to have a meet and greet featuring two members of the band. In preparation that maybe he’d actually be at the one meet and greet I’d go to, I had drawn something up to give to him.

So there I was, near the front of the line, and there was a curtain obscuring the pathway they were using to get to the table. We could still see through the gap and I was stressing over it and how silly it was to want to give him the drawing… when all of a sudden, my friend grabs my arm and says something to the effect of “You can give it to him!”

This doesn’t help my nerves at *all*.

They finally come out, and I’m getting coached on what to say and how to be polite… so when I get up to the table, I can completely choke, timidly hand him the picture, shake his hand, and then run off without shaking the guitarist’s hand.

It wasn’t until AFTER when I was frantic that I forgot to shake the guitarist’s hand and I didn’t want to cut and be rude to go back, that my friends calmed me down and were like “Did you see the smile he gave you?”

And in all honesty, I couldn’t bring myself to look at him, so no. I didn’t.

Apparently, when I gave him my drawing, he gave me a huge, full blown smile, not just a polite one, but I was too busy being a nervous wreck, that I missed it.

It’s the subject of jokes to this day.

2. Mabel and Zora 03/11/2010 at 3:07 pm #

The same thing happened to me once.

3. Angela (ModCloth) 03/11/2010 at 3:21 pm #

Bree, you tell that story so well! Love it!

4. Natalie M 03/11/2010 at 3:24 pm #

Ever since the first day my sister showed me the song “You’re so last summer” by Taking Back Sunday they have been my all time favourite band. I can’t get over them, they’re lead man Adam Lazzara is an all time babe which doesn’t help my obsession. And a couple years later my dream came true, I had met them at Warped Tour at an autograph signing but that wasn’t enough , I wanted to meet them upclose and personal, so one day I was watching MuchMusic and to my disbelief a contest “Show Me Yours” with the chance to go back stage at the Taking Back Sunday show. As soon as i heard that i got to work and made a video on how we could help the planet. I made print outs of little recycling boxes and the earth and made a video. and I WON! It was the best day ever and I even got to bring my best friend and my little sister, I will never forget that day.

5. Nikki 03/11/2010 at 3:31 pm #

In high school, I kissed one of the members of Simple Plan!!!! It about made my year :)

6. Kelly 03/11/2010 at 5:33 pm #

love the bright blue and plum color together!

7. Emma 03/11/2010 at 11:58 pm #

When I saw Marilyn Manson I wore the Polamaloop dress, fishnet stockings, and cute black flats. I was right in the front and he gave me a sweaty towel. <3

It was the outfit that won him over.

8. B 03/12/2010 at 12:48 am #

-Adam Lazzara of Taking Back Sunday…
    -The screamer (his name escapes me…) from The Devil Wears Prada
    -All the members of There For Tomorrow (one of my favorite bands!)
    Members of Valencia, Envy on the Coast, God or Julie…(i feel pretty hardcore right now. hahahahahah)
    Lead singer of Between the trees (CHECK THEM OUT IF YOU HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THEM!!! SOOO GOOOOD!!!!)

anyways, I dress down because the places I go to usually have “moshing” and what not, so I dont want to ruin my nice clothes….but I still put some thought into what I wear. To see Between the trees, I wore worn in black skinny jeans, gray sneakers, and a slouchy off the shoulder gray and white striped t with a chain necklace.

9. Katie 03/12/2010 at 7:11 am #

That’s really funny, Emma, because when I saw Kenny G, I wore the Polamaloop Dress and he gave me HIS sweaty towel! It’s shocking how sweaty that man gets while blowing his sax! He and Marilyn Manson must have the same taste…

10. Kelly 03/16/2010 at 4:29 pm #

B, we like a lot of the same bands! and thank you for introducing me to Between the Trees, i am like in love with them right now! but i also like more like pop-y stuff sometimes, so i went to see boys like girls wearing an awesome scoop necked blue and white striped shirt and dark jeans, and at the end of the concert people were taking pictures with Martin Johnson, the lead singer, and of course my camera had just died. So me being a rather outgoing person, i pushed through the crowd of people with cameras, poked his shoulder, and said hey! my camera died… can i have a hug? and he gave me one of those really long nice bear hugs lol. It made my year. hahahaha.

11. Kristen 03/21/2010 at 7:52 pm #

One of the several times (5 and counting…) that I went to see my favorites, Franz Ferdinand, I wore a thrifted super ridiculous looking polyester black button-up. Button-ups aren’t super flattering on me, but with a bright neon shell print that for some reason glowed in the dark, it reminded me of the weird shirts Nick McCarthy (guitarist/backing vocalist) always wears, so I knew I had to.

The show was in Seattle and was amazing, of course, especially since we were front row without any barriers. Afterward, my friends and I went to wait around the back to say hello to the guys. Alex Kapranos (frontman with equally ridic fashion sense) and Nick came out, and even before I got to tell Nick I’d worn my weirdo outfit in his honor, he exclaimed, “I love your shirt! Is it polyester!?” He couldn’t stop touching the collar and jokingly asked me if he could have it.

Little did he know… about a year later, I saw them again, this time in Vancouver, B.C. and brought the shirt with. When we met them afterward this time, after waiting in the pouring rain for 30 minutes, Nick brought my group of friends and about 20 others backstage (well, on the stage, really) and we got to chat with the band for at least an hour. (Do you see why I love these guys?)

I reminded Nick I’d met him before in Seattle and showed him the shirt I’d been wearing. He cracked up that I’d actually remember it (thinking me insane, no doubt), then was totally shocked when I told him he could have it. After convincing him that I didn’t wear it, he accepted it and gave me a kiss as a thank you, saying he’d see if it fit him. I hadn’t brought a camera or planned on getting photos, but he practically dragged me and my friends into one :)

Unfortunately, at Bumbershoot the next day, he wasn’t wearing the shirt, but I did get a wave and a cheerful grin before I was nearly crushed by the mosh pit/suffocated by my plastic poncho. Didn’t get to see him again after that, but now I know what I’ll be bringing to the next show ;)