Celebrating Women’s History Month with Margaret of One Woman Farm

PinterestTwitterEmailFacebooktumblr

Margarets beautiful assortment of flowers

With Women’s History Month in full swing, here’s the second installment of our “Women Making History” series! I interviewed the president of One Woman Farm, Margaret Schlass, whose organic farm and Community Sponsored Agriculture farm food cooperative has been growing like hot peppers.

The Broccolis Growing Strong at One Woman Farm

Rows of organically grown broccoli at One Woman Farm

In December 2008, Margaret took a four-acre spot in Gibsonia, PA and began to cultivate her organic food haven. Before running her own farm, she procured her farming skills from working on other farms, including one in the Amazon River Basin. “It was working with Amazonian floodplain farmers in waist-high water where I first began to comprehend the paramount importance of an individual’s ability to feed oneself and [their] community.”

For Margaret, the past year was a lot of work. “OWF is stamped on my frontal lobe,” she says. Of course, the work pays off. She has learned that, “with enough sweat and guts, you can create an entire community of positively impacted people who center themselves around the very thing that blows your hair back day in and day out.”

“I have some of the most wonderful customers I could ever hope for,” Margaret says of the people who support her farming. “My favorite are the hugs and words of appreciation for doing what I love to do most, creating a community of OWF eaters who feel a real connection to their local food source.”

Margaret Schlass, President of One Woman Farm

Margaret Schlass, President of One Woman Farm

Margaret loves the organic farm community and fully supports it. Other than joining a CSA in your own hometown, she encourages each reader to “be a conscientious consumer buy voting with your dollar for the types of farms you would like to support every time you shop.”

If you’re in the Pittsburgh area, you’re currently able to sign up for One Woman Farm’s CSA. Wherever you are, you can also search for small, local farms though LocalHarvest, and look for potlucks at your local farms where not only can you socialize with other organic food fans, but sample delicious, homemade fare!

Being inspired by her mother –the “hardest working individual I have the pleasure of knowing” – I think it’s accurate to say that Margaret herself will inspire young women and girls to be the “one” fulfilling their own endeavors.

Do you belong to a CSA, or dream of farming your own plot? What are some of your aspirations for living more organically? Let us know!

, , , , ,

0 Responses to Celebrating Women’s History Month with Margaret of One Woman Farm

1. hannah 03/15/2010 at 7:16 pm #

What a woman! Thank you for sharing – she is definitely an inspiration.

I would love to one day escape the city and work on a project like this.

2. Natalie B. (ModCloth) 03/15/2010 at 7:45 pm #

This is such a cool concept – and reality! I try to go to the co-op more than Trader Joe’s, but… I need to do it more! I can definitely taste the difference, both in the co-op veggies, and when I have the pleasure of eating the cucumbers and lettuce from my grandparents garden in the summer. :)

3. Jen (ModCloth) 03/15/2010 at 8:55 pm #

In addition to feeling a connection to our food source, there is an incredible sense of community that comes with being part of a CSA — something that, when shopping at huge, chain grocery stores is, for the most part, lost. This is an inspiring woman with an inspiring story! Thanks for the post, Angela!

4. John Phillis 03/16/2010 at 1:02 am #

Wow!! Such a nice write up for such a wonderful person! My sister just emailed me a link to this blog, because I have been raving about Margaret’s spunk and “never say die” attitude! I’m so glad that she is getting this publicity, and this kind of reaction from everyone. She really deserves it! I have been a huge supporter of her for a while now, and I am so glad that everyone else is catching on. You will never find a better human being, and someone who has such extreme passion for what she does. I see a little part of myself in her, and am rooting for her the whole way! Everyone should get to know her!

5. Kaleigh 03/16/2010 at 7:50 am #

My mother and I joined a CSA together last summer and split our shares… it has been a complete eye-opener. We love the weekly fresh veggies, baked bread, and (sometimes) local wine… and it’s overall more cost effective than if we bought these same things every week at the grocery store!

6. Angela (ModCloth) 03/16/2010 at 10:23 am #

CSA’s are awesome. I’m glad that our readers are fans of them!

@John Phillis- Such kinds words for Margaret! I’m glad you found the post!

7. jill 03/16/2010 at 12:34 pm #

The store I work at sponsors a CSA and generally tries to support local businesses. I love shopping farmers markets as well.

8. Erika Brenner 03/16/2010 at 9:13 pm #

Oh yay, i just found this randomly and was so amazed and gratified to see margarets smiling face shining back at me. Margaret and I met while working on a farm a few years back and she has continued to be an inspiration. I hope she continues at attract the attention she deserves.