Top 10 Irish Contributions to Culture

Leaping leprechauns — do you know what day Wednesday is? It’s Halloween! Just kidding. It’s St. Patrick’s Day, of course. So today’s Top 10, which we’re ‘dub-lin’ Top Ten Irish Contributions to Culture, touts all things Irish!

10. Claddagh Ring. A ring of love for the circle of life.
9. Shamrocks. There’s no getting over this kind of clover.
8. Guinness. Many are of the stout opinion that this is the best beer in the world.
7. Leprechauns. Where would Lucky Charms be without Leprechauns?
6. The Cranberries. This group’s music lingers on your mind for days after hearing it.
5. Colcannon. You’d ‘butter’ believe this dish is delish!
4. Frank McCourt. ‘Tis impossible to describe how lovely this man’s memoirs are — you’ll just have to read them for yourself!
3. The Commitments. A movie that speaks to souls and soul bands alike.
2. Step Dancing. This form of dance is quite moving, literally.
1. St. Patrick’s Day. That’s this week! So go out and celebrate!

What are your favorite Irish things, and what are your St. Patty’s Day plans?

About Hannah

"Q: Where do cantaloupes go for the summer? A: John Cougar Mellon Camp!" From that joke you can surmise a few things about Hannah -- she loves a good pun, she delights in irreverence, and red peppers are her vegetable of choice. How does one figure out Hannah loves red peppers from that joke? Hmm, that's top secret. Hannah also adores outdoor activities, arts & crafts, reading, and being abroad.

0 Responses to Top 10 Irish Contributions to Culture

1. Orla 03/15/2010 at 2:00 pm #

In Ireland we get the day off work! Wahoo.
    Most people go to their local ‘ST Patricks Day Parade’ and then the pub afterward.
    Well, to be honest it’s mostly the pub!!

To all ModCloth folk
    Lá Fhéile Pádraig Sona Daoibh!

2. Mandy (Modcloth) 03/15/2010 at 2:47 pm #

I am also obsessed with The Script who come from Dublin!! :) The commitments is a good movie, that is exactly how they sound in Ireland, oh good times. I miss it!

3. Julie 03/15/2010 at 3:03 pm #

I don’t typically like fast food joints, but McD’s has a ‘shamrock shake’ that will knock your socks off! If you like mint chocolate ice cream, in milkshake form, and green in color, then you must try this.

I saw a sign for it yesterday, mmm…

4. Kristen Renee 03/15/2010 at 4:00 pm #

Frank McCourt’s books are memoirs.

5. Rebecca 03/15/2010 at 4:15 pm #

Conan O’Brien!

6. ModCloth 03/15/2010 at 4:34 pm #

@Kristen Renee — Ack! Our bad. Thanks for letting us know! :)

7. Kaaaaate 03/15/2010 at 6:00 pm #

My dad is my favorite irish thing!

8. Tammy 03/15/2010 at 6:30 pm #

Me! My birthday is St. Patrick’s Day. I hated green while growing up because my parties were always green, but I’ve grown to love it. Oh, and I always want corned beef this time of year.

9. Alyse 03/15/2010 at 6:36 pm #

Redhair is my favorite irish thing! Especially my own :)

10. Alanna J 03/15/2010 at 6:49 pm #

They are memoirs, but rely very heavily on poetic licence!!! I live in Ireland and have the day off work, most people head to the pub to “drown the shamrock”. My favourite Irish thing is our language! ‘sí an Ghaeilge an teanga is áille sa domhan!

11. Becky 03/15/2010 at 9:16 pm #

I’m definitely hoping to find some time to rewatch “Once”–great movie about Irish street music!

12. Rae 03/15/2010 at 11:22 pm #

Being a former Irish dancer – i love the step dancing. My Claddagh I got in Galway, IRE 10 years ago is always on me and was even an emblem on my dancing costume. The heart is for love, the crown is for loyalty, and the hands are for friendship. What a wonderful ring. Also, I love the music. Well, dangit! I love it all!!!

13. Rubie 03/16/2010 at 3:23 am #

I used to dance as well. There is just so much spirit in Irish music and dance. I love the irish-american corned beef and cabbage on st. patties day as well.
    My mother used to read me books about celtic fairies and leprechauns and we’d watch Darby O’Gill and the little people, and even when I was young I still appreciated how ridiculously good looking young Sean Connery was. :)

14. Hilary 03/16/2010 at 3:39 am #

Favourite Irish thing… accents? Or it that just me? Sure it’s difficult to understand at times, and they generally sound like they’ve had to much Guiness, but I can’t help but love it.

15. Maya 03/16/2010 at 5:00 am #

Oh my god, The Commitments is just magic. I could just watch that movie over and over and over.

Also “Once”

16. Macmanaih 03/16/2010 at 9:52 pm #

Kind of flabbergasted that McCourt got a mention in lieu of Joyce, Beckett, Wilde, or any of the other superior authors out of the Irish canon.

17. Rachael 03/17/2010 at 1:42 pm #

I loathe The Commitments – so I’ll swap that flick out on that list for my favorite actor, Cillian Murphy :)

I’ll be headed to Ireland in just over two months!

18. Kit 03/17/2010 at 5:33 pm #

Mandy, I love ‘the Script’ too, they are awsome!!! And I love the Irish accents! James McAvoy is my favourite Irish actor,
    loved him in “Being Jane”, a film about Jane Auston. *SIGH* I wish I had the money to go to Ireland… :(

19. Kate 03/18/2010 at 7:06 pm #

Uh… Kit? James McAvoy, admittedly a very lovely man, is Scottish. I would advise against confusing the two, haha.
    I totally agree with whoever wrote Cillian Murphy, and may I add Johnathan Rhys-Meyers? Another lovely man.
    Favorite Irish thing, hm. Oscar Wilde, The Hounds of the Morrigan (awesome fantasy book heavily based in Irish mythology), Kerrygold butter is delicious, I love the symbolism of the claddagh ring (even if I can never spell it properly)… I can’t choose!

20. Kit 03/18/2010 at 9:45 pm #

Ooops!! Sorry about the James McAvoy!! I’ve only seen him in movies being Irish so my bad. I know how they don’t like to be comfused, lol…I’ve heard about the fury from people I know who have been over there! I bit like us Aussies not liking to be mistaken for being Kiwis I suppose…Thanks for the correction, save me from some unhappy reations!

21. Sarah 03/21/2010 at 4:29 pm #