One Band, Two Guitars, Countless Amounts of Amazing

Eyes saucer-wide, ears tingling with incredulous joy, I watched the finale of Rodrigo y Gabriela‘s recent Pittsburgh performance. Their fingers were racing across the frets of their guitars, moving so fast that I was sure their instruments would rip into flame from the sheer friction of their flying fingers. The show ended, guitars in one piece, but that didn’t mean Rodrigo y Gabriela’s show was anything short of incendiary.

If you’ve got no idea who Rodrigo y Gabriela are, it’s time to change that. You can start by watching their video of “Diablo Rojo” above. Go ahead, start streaming now. Take a minute. Listen. See what I mean? Incredible, right? How one song can meld together such a seductive combination of chords, rhythm, technique, and passion is purely baffling. And, “Diablo Rojo” isn’t the only song by this Mexican duo that will make you comatose with awe — they all will.

What do you think of Rodrigo y Gabriela’s music? Had you heard of them before?

About Hannah

"Q: Where do cantaloupes go for the summer? A: John Cougar Mellon Camp!" From that joke you can surmise a few things about Hannah -- she loves a good pun, she delights in irreverence, and red peppers are her vegetable of choice. How does one figure out Hannah loves red peppers from that joke? Hmm, that's top secret. Hannah also adores outdoor activities, arts & crafts, reading, and being abroad.

0 Responses to One Band, Two Guitars, Countless Amounts of Amazing

1. jill 03/16/2010 at 12:33 pm #

I adore R&G — their cover of “Stairway to Heaven” is mindboggling.

2. Katie 03/16/2010 at 3:07 pm #

Wow! Rodrigo y Gabriela! I bought my dad their cd last summer after he talked about them non-stop.
    That is so cool, and now I love modcloth even more. :D

3. Julie 03/16/2010 at 5:18 pm #

Seeing them live was a-ma-zing! They are so talented, it’s sick. Esp. Gabriela! Bravo to them both!

4. Samantha 03/16/2010 at 6:12 pm #

loove<33

5. Maya 03/16/2010 at 6:50 pm #

I saw them when they played the Enmore Theatre in Sydney a few years back and it was amazing! They played Wish you Were Here with a beer bottle slide and the crowd sang along and it was magical.

6. Meredith 03/16/2010 at 11:46 pm #

I saw them in Chicago, can’t say enough good things about these oh-so-talented musicans!

7. Claire 03/16/2010 at 11:48 pm #

I first heard them over a year ago and I absolutely adore them :) I’m so glad they are becoming more popular and can’t wait until I can see them live!