Barcelona: One Cool Cat-alan of a City

In this outfit: Ice Cream for this Dress, Matador Bolero, Fashion Fractal Hat, Look Twice T-Strap, The Lita Clutch in Luna

Just about everyone who’s been to Barcelona loves the city beyond belief. Could it be the arts? The architecture? The vibrant community? The lively atmosphere? The beaches? We can’t say what attracts everyone to this city, but one thing’s for sure – you’ll probably love the capital of Catalonia, too.

Casa Battló

1. All the designs of Barcelona’s beloved architect Antoni Gaudi are worth seeing, but if you have to choose one to tour in depth, you should visit Casa Battló. Crafted with such intriguing undulations and such organically fantastic decorations that it seems alive, this wondrous house is sure to knock to socks off you. Don’t think twice about shelling out the entry fee and going inside!

2. If you’re looking for a fun, seriously well-located place to stay, lodge your thoughts in the Equity Point Gothic Hostel. Dripping with artsy paper lamps and decorated in a colorful array of murals that burst with vivid lime green, ripe lilac purple, and bright orange, this hostel not only has character, but it also has a decent free breakfast included with its reasonable room fee!

3. You can’t walk around Barcelona without noticing the ever-present pride for their ‘football’ team. And justly so – the Barcelona soccer team is something else! Make it your goal to attend one of the FC Barcelona games. One can’t help but enjoy sitting in a stadium seat, eating a savory tortilla de patatas from the food stands, and getting caught up in the local crowd’s enthusiasm.

Barcelona Street Scene

Barcelona Street Scene

4. Get outside, get cultured, and get going to Gaudi’s Park Guëll. Rollicking over many acres above Barcelona’s city streets, this famed park is like Dr. Seuss Land come to life. Filled with Gaudi’s whimsical work, this park and its trails are a circus of delights.

5. Impeccable displays of fruit, delectable arrays of pastries, yards of fresh seafood, many varieties of Spain’s reputed cured ham – you’ll find all this and much, much more at the age old La Boqueria, located just off Las Ramblas. Housed under a metal roof dating back to 1914, this fantastic market is a foodie heaven and a super site!

What good things do you know about in Barcelona?

10 Responses to Barcelona: One Cool Cat-alan of a City

1. Franny 03/31/2010 at 2:58 pm #

i was debating Barcelona for my 21st this year.. I keep seeing signs EVERYWHERE!!
    And thank-you Modcloth one more for the list ( and you might just have swayed me =] )

2. Ana 03/31/2010 at 4:32 pm #

I live in Barcelona for 8 years and I really recommend to visit this beautiful city. To have some typical tapas from Catalonia and some wine I recommend a traditional wine shop in “Barrio de St. Antonio”. The address is Av. Mistral, 31. Near you have the Raval, where you can find people from the whole world and a lot of small bars and restaurants

3. COSMICaroline 03/31/2010 at 6:34 pm #

i did a post couple months back about amazing building around the world, and this barcelona warped building was in it
    so glad it’s this well known
    loving this post so much, keep em coming!

-cma
    COSMICaroline.blogspot.com

4. Amy 03/31/2010 at 7:22 pm #

My best friend lives in Barcelona at the moment. Apart from being able to visit and appreciate Gaudi etc, I MISS HER!!!!
    Park Guell is one of the best things I’ve ever seen xx

5. Mousevox Vintage 04/01/2010 at 12:58 pm #

I’ve been drooling over the ice cream cone dress all morning via The Clothes Horse. So cute!

6. Tara 04/01/2010 at 1:59 pm #

I’ve been to Barcelona and have been dying to go back since! Antoni Gaudi is my favorite artist ever, and my dream is to live in one of the houses or apartment buildings he designed. Or at least camp out at Park Guell!

7. Breana 04/01/2010 at 7:36 pm #

I’m going there next week!

8. Joyce Cee 04/05/2010 at 5:36 pm #

Ole, bravo, bravisimo to this matador inspired look.

9. A* 04/07/2010 at 2:25 pm #

I’m from Barcelona! haha i’ve never believed modcloth would talk about my beloved city! Come to visit, we catalans will love to have you around looking so fabulous!

10. Sonia 04/23/2012 at 12:10 am #

I am Cathalan and live in Barcelona, I recommend you a visit to the bars at the top of Avinguda Tibidabo, that is in front of the “Funicular del Tibidabo”, you will get a beautiful sightseeing of the city from there while you can enjoy a cocktail. Superb view of Barcelona, don’t miss it!!