I’m not a vegan, but I am a proud vegetarian who enjoys cooking and baking without using dairy or animal products as often as possible. As a lover of Mexican food and lasagna, I was thrilled to stumble across a recipe for Mexican Tortilla Bake. This delicious dish is easy on the wallet, a breeze to make, and seriously good — it’s what I would imagine a Mexican-inspired lasagna to taste like! And, of course, what Mexican fiesta would be complete with a cool glass of horchata?
Mexican Tortilla Bake
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 large garlic clove, minced
• 11/2 cups cooked pinto beans or one 15-ounce can, drained and rinsed
• 1 141/2-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
• 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• 11/2 cups prepared tomato salsa
• 4 ounces soft or silken tofu
• 2 tablespoons lime juice
• 12 6-inch flour tortillas
• 1 cup shredded vegan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly oil a 9″ x 13″ baking dish. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the pinto beans, tomatoes, chili powder, and salt and pepper to taste, and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a food processor or blender, combine the salsa, tofu, lime juice, and 1/2 cup of the bean mixture. Process until well blended.
- Spread a thin layer of the tofu and salsa mixture over the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Arrange 6 of the tortillas on top, overlapping as necessary. Spread the remaining bean mixture over the tortillas and cover with another layer of tortillas. Top with the remaining tofu-and-salsa mixture and sprinkle with the shredded cheese.
- Bake until hot and bubbly and lightly browned on top, about 30 minutes.
• 1 cup long grain rice, rinsed
• 1 quart of soy milk
• 2 quarts water
• 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional, but definitely necessary, in my opinion)
• 1/2 cup white sugar
- In a large saucepan, combine rice, water and cinnamon. Heat until it’s just about ready to boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Purée rice mixture in a blender until smooth. Strain through cheesecloth or a fine sieve. Flavor with vanilla and sugar to taste. Chill, and serve over ice.
How does it look, ModReaders? Talk about your taste buds, or share your favorite cuisine with us on FoodBuzz.