Top 10 Kitschy Lawn Ornaments

All A-Twitter Haiku Contest

Photo: Flickr user Alovesdc

Plants and trees aren’t the only way to spruce up your yard – there’s also those oft-cheesy lawn ornaments. Should you choose to decorate with them, these silly sculptures will make your grassy plot colorful in all senses of the word.

10. Bird Bath. If you can ‘sparrow’ the change to buy one of these, your feathered friends will appreciate it.
9.  Gnomes. Seen in Amélie, these little dudes are now seen all over indie items!
8. Whirligig Ornaments. Make heads spin!
7. Geese. All the charm of real geese without the messy refuse.
6. Seasonal Inflatables. With enough of these, your lawn will be ballooning with decor.
5. Stone Lions. These inanimate animals will make your lawn the ‘mane’ attraction!
4. The Lady Bending Over. You may also call this a caboose on the loose!
3. Pink Flamingo. Total classic.
2. Gazing Ball. Before you put this iridescent ornament in your yard, reflect upon how it may look to observers.
1. Toilet Flower Pots. Brings a new meaning to potted plants.

Do you have any of these ornaments out and about your lawn? Do you have better ones? Let us know!

0 Responses to Top 10 Kitschy Lawn Ornaments

1. Angela (ModCloth) 04/14/2010 at 4:28 pm #

What about those kissing Dutch children?

My grandparents have had a fawn statue in their front lawn for as long as I can remember. I love it.

2. Sarita 04/14/2010 at 4:37 pm #

What about the wooden silhouettes? One of my neighbors has a cowboy resting against a cactus one.

And my neighbor across the street has converted an Oscar the Grouch garbage can into a birdbath by setting the lid of the can on top and upside down. I have never actually seen a bird take a dip in it….

3. Jenny 04/14/2010 at 4:44 pm #

what about the lazy cowboy shadow?

that’s a classic, right?

4. mikki 04/15/2010 at 1:45 am #

my parents have not one not two but 3 toilet bowl planters.

5. Rebecca 04/15/2010 at 12:46 pm #

In my mind nothing will ever beat the lawn donkey flower pot.

6. Anna 04/15/2010 at 2:57 pm #

oh, I love your post! So unusual. My vote would be having the gnomes as the top, lol

7. Mousevox Vintage 04/15/2010 at 3:03 pm #

I have gnomes!

I heard a nasty rumor not too long ago that the pink flamingo was no longer going to be in reproduction, as in noone is ever going to make them again.

8. KC 04/15/2010 at 10:57 pm #

i love gnomes as well! my dad is super into lawn ornaments and actually makes his own! He is really good he has made all kinds of crazy stuff! I think it brings a certain something to a lawn when they have ornaments all over the place!

9. caroline 04/16/2010 at 11:39 am #

how about those ducks that you can dress up for special holidays an such… (santa clause duck, thanksgiving duck ((a.k.a. a turkey)), or the leperchaun duck).

10. Amelia 04/16/2010 at 12:21 pm #

This post makes me homesick. My mom is all about corny yard decorations!

11. Missy 04/17/2010 at 12:35 pm #

cowboy boots as pots (as left in our yard by previous owners)

tea cups and saucers on tall sticks (as left by previous owners)

Bird houses are AMAZING…mod should think on carrying some

ceramic foxes (as left by previous owners)

claw foot tub as herb garden holder

12. Missy 04/17/2010 at 12:36 pm #

or the metal creatures made by misc. metal garbage that was big in the Kitschy midwest circuit for awhile!

Windmills (especially the ones made of pieces of soda cans;)

13. Jasmine 05/06/2010 at 1:36 am #

Macrame hanging pots, any old car tyre sculptures, an Australian classic is the tyre swan! Also, hubcaps. Totally awesome.

14. Jasmine 05/06/2010 at 1:37 am #

Oh and how could I forget, windchimes! Especially made out of seashells…

15. Pat PatioCovers 05/17/2011 at 4:38 am #

I think I’ll pass on the flamingos regardless if they’re classic. I still think they’re weird for lawn decor. Love the animal pots though.