Style Glossary: The Wayfarer

Considered a fashion icon from the moment they were launched in 1952, the Wayfarer has been adding a touch of instant intrigue to outfits ever since.

Characterized by a distinctive trapezoidal frame, sturdy arms, and a faintly masculine look, Wayfarers stood out from the sea of wire-framed eyewear that came before it. Created by eyewear designer Raymond Stegeman for the Ray-Ban company, this once-patented design enjoyed waves of popularity in the 50′s, 60′s, and 80′s, but lost steam to wraparound styles that dominated the 90′s.

Thanks to trendsetters such as Chloë Sevigny and Mary-Kate Olsen, we retro lovers have been able to enjoy this new, modern take on the sunnies. Our Unisexy Glasses capture these starlets’ looks for a classically chic summer look.

What’s your favorite sunglasses style?

About ModCloth

, , , , ,

0 Responses to Style Glossary: The Wayfarer

1. rachel 04/16/2010 at 4:06 pm #

i personally love the aviator style. thats the only style i wear! but..im considering the wayfarer :)

2. jill 04/16/2010 at 4:19 pm #

I got these in my Groundhogs Day grab-bag… and though they’re different from what I usually wear (I love aviators and big sixties-style frames!) I have been wearing them nearly every day. They are so flattering on my small, more angular face!

3. Kristie 04/16/2010 at 6:08 pm #

I love these and I prefer this style, but a little bigger than normal, so they’re bigger sunglasses with a retro twist.

4. Rachel @ a la Modest 04/16/2010 at 8:26 pm #

I have yet to snag a pair of these! I love big round and 60′s inspired glasses, but I also like aviator.

5. Kit 04/17/2010 at 1:23 am #

I love these sunglasses, but my friends don’t :( Because of that I haven’t got any yet, but maybe I will and wear them when I’m not with them ( though that is vertually never!)

6. Sophie 04/18/2010 at 12:48 am #

kit, your friends should let your sunglasses be! My friends disdain Wayfarers too sometimes because they’re trendy, but I love them. Even when all the trend chasers have put them away, they will be classic and cool. I have tortoise frames with gray/green lenses and they are divine!

7. Katharine Ellis Tapley 04/18/2010 at 9:54 am #

I had a pair, and I liked them, but they weren’t very flattering to my face. I have a Jackie-O style that works better for me.

When I was 17, I had a pair of purple John Lennons that I wore ALL THE TIME.

8. Michelle 04/19/2010 at 4:37 pm #

9. Tori 04/19/2010 at 10:46 pm #

anyone else notice that both jill and michelle said the same thing?

10. Kit 04/22/2010 at 5:22 am #