Stuff We Miss: Four Square and 19 Years Ago

Four Sqaure Sport Game Diagram

Illustration: Jeremy Kemp

There was a time and a place when it was “hip to be square.” Does anyone else remember dominating the chalk lined court of Four Square? Inspired by the warm weather we’ve been having lately, I’ve been reminiscing and think this would be an awesome outdoor game for everyone! Heck, if a first grader can do it, why can’t we? Four Square seems like a long lost friend that needs to be re-introduced into my life! So, I kind of want to start up a Four Square league! Who else is with me?

About Julianne

Julie Since graduating from the "Center for Kids Who Can't Read Good and Wanna Learn to Do Other Stuff Good Too," Julie's aptness for the written word picked up steam like a runaway train. Her journey thus far has been fueled by an adventurous heart, creative mind, and love of breakfast, baking, and bacon. She often makes social situations more awkward than they need to be and loves the word "scrumtrulescent!"

, ,

0 Responses to Stuff We Miss: Four Square and 19 Years Ago

1. Brittany 04/21/2010 at 11:15 am #

I liked 4-square, but personally my 1st grade experience was dedicated to Skip-It.

2. Victoria / Justice Pirate 04/21/2010 at 12:01 pm #

I still play it! I’m a youth leader and we play it often. They even have a 9 square that somehow is successfully played. I like 4-square/box ball best though. I reigned at this game in 5th and 6th grade when I played it every recess!

3. kristar 04/21/2010 at 12:07 pm #

i still play four square. there is an elementary school i go to to play on their playground and they have a four square permanently painted on the concrete….so you know, sometime me and my fiends grab a ball and use it.

4. Jackie (ModCloth) 04/21/2010 at 12:31 pm #

My kickball league plays Foursquare every game day as a warm up!

5. rhea 04/21/2010 at 1:42 pm #

I’ve been thinking about this game a lot lately ever since signing up for foursquare.com… which is not the same :) but still a fun social network.

6. Sydney 04/21/2010 at 2:08 pm #

Huh….we used to call it “Box Ball” when I was a kid. Am I the only one?

7. Lisa 04/21/2010 at 2:13 pm #

Great post! Brought back memories of scraped knees and sunny days!

8. Maggie 04/21/2010 at 4:22 pm #

I played 4-square today! xD

9. Olivia 04/21/2010 at 6:20 pm #

Yes, I remember this. We played it with a tennis ball sometimes

10. Minda 04/21/2010 at 8:32 pm #

4 square will always rock!!!! XD

11. Amanda 04/22/2010 at 10:00 am #

We had EPIC foursquare battles (CHERRY BOMBS). But we used one ball not two

12. Nickie Frye 04/22/2010 at 12:23 pm #

Nooooooo!!! Do NOT bring up anything PE related, please! ;)

13. Stacy 04/22/2010 at 12:58 pm #

4 Square, the epitome of my elementary school days, its what got me to school on time everyday, unless it rained, it was a sad day without 4 square.

14. Mousevox Vintage 04/22/2010 at 1:06 pm #

Ahhh, 4-square. I definitely remember a time when it was just a fun and simple school yard game and not a social networking app for your phone.

15. Lucretia 04/24/2010 at 12:28 pm #

4 square was awesome in elementary school… next to dodge ball ;) I rocked at that game. haha