Top 10 Things We Wanted to Be When We Grew Up

When you’re young, you dream big. I wanted to own a candy shop and be “someone who owns horses.” My younger sister wanted to be a mermaid. Since nothing is more endearing than little tyke tidbits, this week, we’re bringing you the top 10 things ModCloth Employees wanted to be when they grew up.

10. Danielle, Lead Photographer: “I wanted to be a shark trainer – and still want to be a shark photographer!”

9. Zach, Advertising Creative Specialist: “I wanted to be veterinarian.”

8. Barb, Staff Accountant: “OK, I’m really sad and pathetic.  I wanted to be a banker or do something with money.  Guess what?  I’m an accountant!  Go figure.”

7. Saad, User Experience Designer: “I wanted to be an artist when I was younger. That kinda-sorta worked out.”

6. Jackie, Customer Care Post-Sales Associate: “I wanted to be an archaeologist!”

5. Natasha, Social Networking Coordinator: “I wanted to be a news broadcaster, because I was a huge fan of the Ninja Turtles and wanted to be just like April.”

4. Aire, Traditional Media Coordinator: “I wanted to be a hockey player.”

3. Natalie, Graphic Designer: “This is going to sound weird, but I told my parents that I wanted to be a boy when I grew up! I loved my daddy so much and thought he was the best, so I wanted to be just like him. I just don’t think I knew what exactly that entailed!”

2. Braiden, Customer Care Team Lead: “At various points, I wanted to be a Lego designer, line cook, man of leisure, National Geographic photographer, and woodworker to the stars. Oh, and this isn’t a profession, but I remember really wanting smaller ears.”

1. Kate, Advertising Coordinator: “When I was little, I wanted to be Olivia Newton-John!  I [used to] make mad dance moves to ‘Let’s Get Physical,’ and when I was older, recreated the end scene to Grease, including the perm and fancy black leotard outfit.”

What did you dream of doing when you were a wee one?

0 Responses to Top 10 Things We Wanted to Be When We Grew Up

1. Julie (ModCloth) 04/23/2010 at 3:21 pm #

This is great!!

2. Zach (ModCloth) 04/23/2010 at 3:22 pm #

Everyone looks so cute – although not one of my better moments :)

3. Kirstin 04/23/2010 at 3:27 pm #

I wanted to be an Astronaut. I even went to Space Camp in 8th grade! But then I discovered that I fail at any math beyond algebra. LOL!

4. Katie E. 04/23/2010 at 3:29 pm #

I too have been through many phases of ‘what I want to be': dog trainer, police officer, CSI, TV Presenter, country singer, orange grower, cupcake maker and teacher…
    The list continues.

5. Katie S. 04/23/2010 at 3:31 pm #

At various points I wanted to be: an author, a journalist, an astronaut, a magician, a geologist, a nurse.

I grew up to be a graphic designer who makes money on the side doing illustration and comics! (funny that cartoonist wasn’t even one of my childhood goals- it just took me a while longer to figure out that I’m good at art!)

6. Christine (ModCloth) 04/23/2010 at 3:32 pm #

Oh my gosh! Everyone is too darn cute! These pictures should also go under a Cuteness Overload BP!

7. Katie E. 04/23/2010 at 3:32 pm #

Wait, just re-read that and the grammar doesn’t really make sense. I didn’t have plans to be a cupcake maker and teacher. You can’t teach cupcakes, they’re just too unruly.

8. Barb (ModCloth) 04/23/2010 at 3:40 pm #

I LOVE that Danielle has a Popple in her picture!!

9. Windsoul 04/23/2010 at 3:45 pm #

I wanted to be a prostitute (I picked up a word somewhere and thought it sounds very nice) and was very shocked when I was explained what it actually means.
    ;)

10. Elyse 04/23/2010 at 3:45 pm #

I wanted to be a singer or a veterinarian for awhile, but then I wanted to be a novelist. =)

11. Melanie 04/23/2010 at 4:12 pm #

i wanted to be a taxi cab driver. i was obsessed with driving, and steering wheels.
    also, i wanted to be a maid, because i thought i would get to actually wear one of those cute French maid outfits, with the little apron and feather duster.

12. Elise 04/23/2010 at 4:19 pm #

Princess, president, lawyer, ballerina, singer, designer, writer… I’ve always had a bit of a problem with self-entitlement…

13. Kristen Renee 04/23/2010 at 4:24 pm #

Seconding Barb… I love the Popple in Danielle’s pic. Wanted to be a ballerina, then a marine biologist, then a dolphin trainer, then an archaeologist.

14. Kate (ModCloth) 04/23/2010 at 4:29 pm #

These are adorable… and I love Zach’s photo!

I wanted to be an explorer, a dancer, a “horse person,” a National Geographic photographer (like Braiden!), and an international business woman.

Now, I work for an awesome business, I travel every chance I get, and I’m an amateur photographer… so it worked out pretty well! :)

15. Natasha (ModCloth) 04/23/2010 at 4:39 pm #

Man, I miss being a kid! :)

16. Susan (ModCloth) 04/23/2010 at 4:46 pm #

Oh my goodness, ModCloth has the cutest staff ever!

I really really wanted to be an astronaut until I was 13 or 14. Then I found out that you usually have to be in the Air Force first and decided that wasn’t for me. So, I fell back on my second passion: FASHION!! I think it worked out :)

17. Mary 04/23/2010 at 4:50 pm #

I wanted to be a horse jockey when I was little. Then, I wanted to be an actress. I also wanted to be a Rockette but, then I figured out that I can’t get my leg up that high in the air.

18. Layla 04/23/2010 at 4:55 pm #

Solid Gold dancer.

And, I wanted my mom to marry Tom Selleck and for us to live in a mansion that was made completely out of glass, including the walls and floors. I didn’t really think of the logistics…

19. Christina 04/23/2010 at 4:56 pm #

Look at all you cutiepies!!!

I wanted to be an actress. I was always putting together plays for the kids in the neighborhood to do, and I was always the star! :)

I now host a radio morning show. So I at least managed to stay in the entertainment field!

20. Natalia 04/23/2010 at 5:00 pm #

I wanted to be Kristi Yamaguchi for a very long time. Then, teacher, professional equestrian (I don’t know either), writer, journalist, pilot.

21. Lisa 04/23/2010 at 5:02 pm #

When I was very little I wanted to be a washing machine.

22. Danielle (ModCloth) 04/23/2010 at 5:15 pm #

@Mary, I wanted to be a Horse Jockey too! I started drinking coffee in hopes of stunting my growth…

23. Victoria / Justice Pirate 04/23/2010 at 5:37 pm #

in second grade I wrote a book about what I would do when I grew up. It went from scientist, to ice skater, to teacher, to getting married in 2004 and having 3 kids as a housewife – oddly enough I did get married in 2004 (at age 20) and I have two kids, but we don’t plan on anymore unless we adopt. I suppose the last dream did become reality.

24. Emily 04/23/2010 at 5:58 pm #

I love this post! Simply wonderful!

When I was little I wanted to be an archeologist, ballerina, who was also on Broadway. And I’m not sorry to say that I still have that dream! :)

25. Meg 04/23/2010 at 7:12 pm #

Barb, I love the pun in your little snippet. :)

26. LA 04/23/2010 at 7:49 pm #

Want to be a dog sitter or dog trainer or work at j crew

27. Alyssa 04/23/2010 at 8:29 pm #

I wanted to be a puppet designer and work for Jim Henson”s Creature Creations…Curse the rise of animation and the death of puppetry. :)

28. aire (modcloth) 04/23/2010 at 10:38 pm #

I just realized how funny it is that I am wearing a dress, talking about wanting to play sports. Oh how things haven’t changed!!

29. Kate 04/23/2010 at 10:45 pm #

I wanted to be a trapeze artist, or a weather person on the news. And I had an “I wanna be Pocahontas” phase, too.

30. alicia 04/24/2010 at 1:01 am #

First a ballerina. Then an Olympic Champion. An actress. 8th grade I wanted to be an astronaut. And the First Lady!

31. Diana 04/24/2010 at 8:57 am #

Those pics are super cute!!

First I wanted to be an astronomer. Then a singer (I’m so out of tune…) or actress, author, journalist, tv producer…

32. Katie 04/24/2010 at 9:33 am #

:D I love these stories!
    The first complete sentence I ever spoke was apparently, “Mommy, I want to be a ballerina!”
    That lasted for awhile, and when I got older I decided I wanted to be vetrenarian who also made paintings on the side.

33. Jess 04/24/2010 at 9:53 am #

First day of Kindergarten I came home and told my mom I wanted to be a “a published illustrator.” That didn’t quite pan out, but I still work in the arts so it’s all good.

34. EmilyKennedy 04/24/2010 at 1:35 pm #

A librarian!

35. Ashley 04/24/2010 at 5:57 pm #

haha I laughed at Natalie’s. My father actually thought I was going to be a boy before I was born which I guess is a bit similar. I always wanted to be a model when I was younger, not quite working out!

36. Jo 04/24/2010 at 7:00 pm #

I wanted to be a fashion designer or Animal Nutritionist. Now I’m getting ready to go to school so I can be and interior/industrial Architect.

37. Amelia 04/24/2010 at 7:28 pm #

I love Natasha’s Ninja Turtle inspiration. haha!

38. corinna 04/24/2010 at 8:33 pm #

i wanted to be a doctor. but not just any doctor, the kind on Scrubs. I wanted to be Elliot!

39. Amelia 04/24/2010 at 8:59 pm #

Aire, I wanted to be a hockey player too! i’m (sort of) fulfilling that goal but i’m not all grown up yet. At 17 i’m still playing youth hockey. ice hockey, that is. When i was a kiddie I wanted to be a chemist. then I wanted to be Michelle Kwan because I was a figure skater. yay for tots on ice!

40. Brady's Mom 04/24/2010 at 11:31 pm #

I was a fashionista back in my day. Youbetchama! Made sure my honey always looked sharp! I loved that shirt on you. Sorry I couldn’t do anything about the ears, though. That’s why I let you grow your hair long.

Many moons ago, I wanted to be a dancer. Can still cut the rug!

41. Emma 04/25/2010 at 12:06 am #

I wanted to be a veterinarian. Now I’m in veterinary school, so I guess that worked out pretty well :)

42. Tani 04/25/2010 at 8:23 am #

Too cute! I wanted to be a graphic designer, and I’m in college for that so it’s working out wonderfully. :]

43. Julia 04/25/2010 at 11:55 am #

In order: A princess, a ballerina, an ice skater, an actress, a news broadcast journalist, a journalist, and now a psychologist. :)

44. Tina 04/25/2010 at 12:14 pm #

Too fun! What a great idea. Kids say the cutiest things. I wanted to be a beautician or a veterinarian, became a beauty school drop-out and now work at a local veterinarian hospital. Go figure!

45. Savannah 04/25/2010 at 12:14 pm #

I always wanted to be a magazine editor. :]

46. Casey 04/26/2010 at 11:06 am #

When I was younger, I wanted to be a actor or a singer. As it turns out, I’m a terrible singer and can’t act in front of a camera to save my life. They make me so nervous!! Ha ha.

47. Kiri Palm 04/26/2010 at 12:28 pm #

I really wanted to be a fireman when I was growing up. My parents found it kind of comical that it was always ‘fireman’ and not ‘firewoman’ because I was a very vigilant feminist during my grade school years. Then I hit 5th Grade and decided to be a writer, which is a lot more plausible when I think about it.

48. Sophie 04/26/2010 at 6:46 pm #

This is awesome! You all were such cutie pies! :D
    I wanted to be an architect or doctor that specialized in really complicated diseases, and now I’m applying to med school :)
    I gave up on architecture when I realized I couldn’t draw :/

49. Alexa (ModCloth) 04/27/2010 at 10:38 am #

Bill Cosby would be proud of all of those answers :)

50. Tara 04/27/2010 at 1:15 pm #

I wanted to be a helicopter pilot, but my vision isn’t good enough. :( I still get really excited every time I see a helicopter.

51. Aire (ModCloth) 04/27/2010 at 1:36 pm #

Amelia!
    How awesome!!! Good for you for following your dreams!! I never had the guts to follow it through!

52. Isadora 04/29/2010 at 11:57 pm #

I wanted to own a mango orchard. Or be a doctor. Or Indiana Jones – until I spent 2 months at the Giza Mapping Project digging up potsherds with a brush…I start med-school next semester.

53. Bea 06/09/2010 at 11:05 am #

I want to work here when I grow up:)

54. Kelly-Ann 07/05/2010 at 10:27 am #

when i was a kid i wanted to be a singer/archeologist/cook/doctor
    but now Ill setle for my own bookstore :P

55. Darci 07/09/2010 at 6:18 pm #

I wanted to be a “dollerina” i guess i wanted to be half doll and half ballerina. Then I wanted to be a rancher! haha I love my little self :)