Top 10 Retro Recipes

Retro Recipe

Photo: Flickr user x-ray delta one

It’s common knowledge that casseroles were king in the 50s, and fondue was a favorite in the 70s, but what else did people make back then? This week’s Top 10 takes a dive into dusty old cookbooks to find out!

10. Applesauce Loaves. Sure to be adored by everyone from the local Pink Ladies to your neighbor, Granny Smith.
9. Pork with Spaghetti. May sound normal, but look at the image.
8. Sweet ‘Tater Stuffed Pork Chops. A beloved recipe from the “National Live Stock and Meat Board.”
7. Mushroom Noodle Ring. I think most people have said ‘pasta’ la vista to this recipe.
6. Cheeseburger Pie. ‘Meat’ one heck of a hearty meal.
5. Tuna Stuffed Eggs. This 1961 recipe makes deviled eggs look angelic.
4. Tongue in Aspic. A recipe like this might leave you at a loss for words.
3. Savory Swiss Roll. The height of appetizing ideas.
2. Pickles in a Poke. Well, it all goes to the same place.
1. Bananas Hollandaise. This dish is bananas, B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Are there any vintage recipes that you love? Or, which of the above recipes sounds most delicious to you?

Share:FacebookPinterestTwitterGoogle+tumblr

16 Responses to Top 10 Retro Recipes

1. Aire (ModCloth) 04/30/2010 at 4:40 pm #

I loooooove Cheeseburger pie!!!! My family also makes sauerkraut pie for Christmas eve. Equally delish!!

2. annelise 04/30/2010 at 7:07 pm #

This picture…I just can’t fathom what is going on there. This is fascinating!

3. Elise 04/30/2010 at 10:59 pm #

I can’t decide if that loaf-thing is delicious (guac!!!) or awful. I guess that’s the point?

Wow, I’m glad I don’t live in the meatloaf age…

4. Carolyn 05/01/2010 at 1:45 am #

Is applesauce loaf considered weird?
    I make applesauce muffins and I know they’re in my “modern” (published in the last 2 years) cookbooks. I don’t see how it’s weirder than banana bread or banana muffins….

The pork with spaghetti & the mushroom noodle ring are terrifying!

5. Sophie 05/01/2010 at 10:29 am #

the recipe for Tongue in Aspic is hilarious!
    “cut in beautiful slices” hahaha, clearly a translation!

I also think that Bananas Hollandaise looks nasty :P Hollandaise sauce = yuck.

6. Ashlee 05/01/2010 at 3:12 pm #

Dude, Cheeseburger pie looks AWESOME! I’m serious, I want that recipe!

7. Jessica 05/01/2010 at 3:47 pm #

I’m pretty sure some of these recipes served as inspiration for food in the caf at my dorm. Instead of cheeseburger pie we have cheeseburger soup though :/
    Sweet relish and velveta in soup form, delicious.

8. Kit 05/01/2010 at 7:03 pm #

I agree with Carolyn, what is so weird about a applesauce loaf? It is just like the idea of a banana loaf isn’t it?

And I have eaten tongue before. It isn’t that bad if you cut the rough tastebuds off first…haha, that sounds terrible!
    But even though I was born WAY after the ‘meatloaf age’ I eat it regularly. My mum cooks the most wonderful meatloaf, not dry or bland at all. It is so good!

9. Katharine Ellis Tapley 05/02/2010 at 9:42 am #

Tongue in Aspic. It just sounds wrong.

10. Cécile 05/02/2010 at 2:31 pm #

Believe it or not, I had a dish very close to the bananas in hollandaise sauce…at the dining hall of the French ministry I used to work for! This is the worst place to eat in Paris but that day, the chef really brought hundreds of innocent civil servants to new culinary lows… Don’t try it, ever, even for fun.

11. Kayla 05/03/2010 at 12:16 pm #

What is THAT? The green thing?

12. Melissa 05/04/2010 at 10:33 am #

My husband loves cheeseburger pie. When we first got married I didn’t know how to cook meat (I’m vegan, he’s not at all) so I picked up a Betty Crocker cookbook from an outdoor flea market. Needless to say all of those recipes are a heart attack in waiting.

I do want to know what the green and orange thing is though.

13. Eudaemonius 05/04/2010 at 1:55 pm #

Thanks Hannah for using my recipe on your blog. Glad people are getting a chuckle from it. Just search Eudaemonius on Flickr.com and see many more!

14. joelle 05/05/2010 at 1:04 am #

this post made my day!

15. Katelyn Likes This 05/05/2010 at 2:30 pm #

Ehgads, these are atrocious! No wonder people were so thin back in the day! I wouldn’t have eaten much either.

Deviled Eggs is probably one of the few vintage recipes I make. Passed down through 3 generations.

16. David 06/29/2013 at 4:40 am #

I’ve actually tried the Bananas Hollandaise, and… I love it! Use almost ripe bananas and fresh, REAL hollandaise sauce. Surprisingly delicious retro dining, at its finest!