Blogger of the Moment: Selective Potential

PinterestTwitterEmailFacebooktumblr

You’ll probably recognize Tieka of Selective Potential from our recent Spring Fever Blogger Challenge. After working with her on that project, I realized I wanted to know a little more about this wonderful blogger, and I thought you all would too! She’s one of the sweetest people I’ve ever worked with, and it was fun finding out her favorite bands, who she’d have play her in a movie,  and just what her dreams for the future are. Keep reading to learn what Tieka is up to when she’s not blogging, take a gander at some of her favorite ModCloth pieces, and get a glimpse of her amazing namesake dress.

You currently live in Michigan. Is that where you grew up? Do you think your locale influences your style?
Yes–born and raised! I definitely feel my locale influences my style–I use the many gorgeous scenic views we have here as inspiration for my outfits!

Which celebrity would play you in a movie of your life and why? Who would play your husband?
I would love it if Kate Hudson played me in the movie of my life–just like her scene in How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days when she’s breaking up the boy’s poker night! It’s such a resemblance to me! I crack up every time I watch it. And as for my husband, it’d definitely be John Corbett. He melts my shorts!

Where do you see yourself in five years? What are your dreams for the future?

In five years — I see myself still happily married to my husband, with a few babies, living in a vintage home in the historic district of our town! My dream for the future is to have a simple life–watch my kids grow and celebrate my 50th wedding anniversary!

Do you blog full-time,  or do you have a day job?
Although I technically work full-time on this blog, I have a part-time job at a recycling center, and I’m a full-time student at a small art and design college! I’m too busy for my own good! My major is in digital media with a focus in interactive design–probably why I love blogging so much! It combines so many things I love!

What style blogs do you follow?

My biggest inspirations are my fellow girls in the Delightful Dozen (love you girls!), and I’m also in love with Le Blog de Betty, Blonde Bedhead, Lulu Letty and Kendi Everyday, to name a few! Phew, that was hard. There are so many wonderful girls and blogs out there!

If you could travel anywhere in the universe, where would it be?

I’ve always wanted to travel to Tuscany, Italy. After watching Under the Tuscan Sun too many times for my own good, I’ve always wanted to travel there–to fix up an old crumbling villa, experience a new culture, learn a new language, cook amazing Italian dinners and ride Vespas through the streets!

When you’re not blogging, what are your other hobbies?
My husband and I go to the movies every week, if not twice a week. We also love to be tourists in our own state and visit all kinds of festivals, museums, zoos, shopping areas, tourist spots. It’s our favorite thing to travel–even if it is just locally right now! I also like to play guitar, read too many other blogs and the rest of my time is spent cleaning or playing Sims!

What are your favorite bands?
My absolute favorite band of all time is Minus the Bear. My other favorite bands are Hot Rod Circuit, The Jealous Sound, The Appleseed Cast, Phoenix, Tegan & Sara and Two Door Cinema Club.

And last but not least
if you could have dinner with anyone, living or dead, who would it be, and what would you eat?
I’m not one who goes too crazy for celebrities or anyone famous–so I’d have to say it’d be my grandpa, who passed away ten years ago. We’d eat cinnamon sugar toast for morning breakfast in their kitchen, and he would play old time cassettes on his radio player for me! Just like old times!

Plus, don’t forget to check out the Selective Potential Dress!

Want to be a Blogger of The Moment? Here’s what you need to do to be eligible:

• Feature ModCloth items in your outfit photos on your blog.
  • Link to ModCloth whenever you’re wearing a ModCloth item in a photo.
  • Send us an email (bloggerofthemoment@modcloth.com) with a link to your post, and don’t forget to post your pictures on the ModCloth Style Exchange!

0 Responses to Blogger of the Moment: Selective Potential

1. Orchid Grey 05/05/2010 at 12:56 pm #

This girl is seriously awesome, glad to see her as the next BOM! Yay Tieka!

2. Tieka, Selective Potential 05/05/2010 at 1:10 pm #

Yaay! I’m so excited! Thank you, thank you! <3

3. Delightfully Tacky 05/05/2010 at 1:35 pm #

Aw, Tieka! I love you! I bet I’m gonna want everything you picked out… off to do some window shopping! Haha.

4. Ashley 05/05/2010 at 1:54 pm #

awee my boyfriend’s favorite band is minus the bear! I love her style. Casual but still so adorable.

5. Krameymartin 05/05/2010 at 2:20 pm #

I love Tieka! She is so adorable and sweet! And I love the dress y’all named after her. Perfection!

6. Jillian 05/05/2010 at 2:45 pm #

I love her blog! Very cool to see her featured!

7. brianna 05/05/2010 at 3:49 pm #

love her blog!! she has the most adorable sense of style and i always love to see what she’s wearing!

8. Maria 05/05/2010 at 3:57 pm #

Tieka is the best. Plus, she’s from MI, too!

9. Kristin Jones 05/05/2010 at 5:24 pm #

Yay, Tieka!!!!

10. sylvia 05/05/2010 at 5:48 pm #

Cute, but she wears the same thing, over and over. Same pieces. Skirt, belt, shirt, cardigan and flats. Looking forward to the next blogger for inspiration, ModCloth!

11. Imogen 05/05/2010 at 8:25 pm #

So happy to see Tieka in the blogger spotlight! I’ve been following her (and her lovley, girly sense of style) since I discovered blogging, and its great to learn more about her. Like the fact we both study digital media! Discover something new every day <3

12. Jess 05/05/2010 at 9:16 pm #

Aww Tieka! Congratulations my dear <3 You totally deserve it :) xo

13. Mara 05/05/2010 at 11:26 pm #

this makes me happy! I think Tieka is adorable and I love her style

14. Ebony 05/06/2010 at 10:58 am #

Tieka is such a fun and down-to-earth girl! Great pick for blogger of the month :)

15. Jennifer 05/07/2010 at 1:42 pm #

I love Tieka! I’m so glad she is the blogger of the moment!

16. antoinette 05/08/2010 at 10:05 pm #

I understand perfectly about the idea of blogging and school fulltime! we bloggers of the world do have a life, we swear! lol

17. andrea k 05/10/2010 at 12:21 am #

Yay! I’m so happy for you tieka! i love reading your interview responses because i know how it’s so totally you. <3

18. Kat 05/10/2010 at 1:08 pm #

Yay Tieka! I love her style and I’m so excited to see her featured!

19. m.fay 05/13/2010 at 4:34 pm #

she is a lovely gal. well deserved.

m.fay
    amateur couture

20. Mandy 05/14/2010 at 4:15 am #

You know lately I’ve been confused by ModCloth. Want to be blogger of the moment – just do this and this and this.

NOT TRUE!

All the blogger spotlights are of really popular blogs that rarely wear modcloth items are are sponsored by you. I think many of your contests are unfair. What happened to the old ModCLoth that wasn’t about just profit? Have to buy a $100 camera to be in a contest – come on!

21. Jess 05/14/2010 at 2:33 pm #

I agree completely with Sylvia, a dress with a cardigan and a belt over it, that’s all she ever does!

And Mandy, that’s a very good point.

22. Alicia (ModCloth) 05/14/2010 at 5:24 pm #

@Mandy

Our biggest goal with Blogger of the Moment is to feature bloggers we love. We started the post to support the blogging community and share with our customers daily outfit bloggers who are doing creative and wonderful things and changing where young women get their style inspiration.

Sometimes we’ve sponsored the bloggers before, and sometimes we haven’t, but if we haven’t, often Blogger of the Moment is a jumping point for a relationship that turns into a sponsorship because we admire their style and blog so much!

23. Lisa 05/14/2010 at 10:03 pm #

I agree with Mandy.

ModCloth you didn’t even answer the concerns she had. You listed rules for becoming ‘Blogger of the Moment’ and you don’t follow them yourself. Instead you pick top bloggers for this coveted award. Rarely do I see these bloggers wearing your clothes unless you send them free samples.

Really, the rules you listed (wearing the clothes and linking back) are to benefit ModCloth, not the blogging community.If you were helping out the community you would be featuring the ones that follow the rules and are good regardless of their numbers. Really its only a win-win situation for you. Seems unfair.

24. Kristin Jones 05/15/2010 at 6:18 pm #

I must jump in and give a perspective here. Although I am currently sponsored by Modcloth, I regularly purchase clothing from them, even before I started my blog! I remember many previous Bloggers of the Moment rocking adorable Modcloth threads long before I saw Modcloth even sponsoring blogs. So yes, many of these bloggers are wearing clothing courtesy of Modcloth now, but go back in their blog archives from months ago when they were unsponsored, and you will see Modcloth items purchased with their own money
    because they loved them. For me, Modcloth lines up seamlessly with my personal style, and I have been a long time customer. Shoot, I still PURCHASE clothing from Modcloth even after I have been sent “courtesy” items!

I definitely think that it is important to respect all opinions, but it is also important to research the truth to the matter before negatively speaking on it. Every featured blogger has deserved it, and in my opinion, Modcloth and the featured bloggers have always maintained incredible integrity in staying true to themselves.

As a blogger that wore Modcloth long before I was ever sponsored by them, I have always loved the mission of Modcloth, and their strong support for both independent fashion bloggers and designers.

• Amber Rose 04/28/2011 at 9:41 pm #

I am in absolute agreement with what you’ve said. I know this is (very) late, but I had to give you a virtual thumbs up.

25. Morgan 05/17/2010 at 11:55 am #

Completely agree with Kristin. No need to be negative, especially without knowing all the facts. And if you don’t like Modcloths policies why are you spending your time here anyway?
    I’ve found them to be a great company that goes out of their way to make shopping easy for their customers. Which is why I purchase from them so often.

But let’s get back to matter at hand! Tieka, Congrats! Always stylish and representative of everyday life. A real person whose style I always find inspiration from. Great job!

26. Kristin Jones 05/18/2010 at 1:46 am #

Right on Morgan! Tieka is phenomenal! :)