Stuff We Miss: Skip-It

BY CHRISTEN, WRITING TEAM INTERN

My friend, Lindsay, did it ’cause she thought it was radically fun. My grandma tried it in hopes that it would keep her heart pumping longer. I’ll be honest; I only did it ’cause it looked obscenely cool. And that is how we passed our summer days — with Skip-It.

Even better was the day when the makers of Skip-It released a version that counted the number of times you skipped. Then, it was a real competition. We put our fears of tripping or getting our ankles smacked with a plastic rope aside, and did anything necessary—sweat, blood, and tears would not stop us—to get the highest number on the counter.

In hindsight, that’s probably how we kept our little impish figures, and it’s got me thinking I may need to re-invest in this truly miraculous invention. The next time I don’t feel like going to the gym, I’m just going to skip it. Literally!

What are your favorite Skip-It memories?

About ModCloth

0 Responses to Stuff We Miss: Skip-It

1. Catherine 05/10/2010 at 12:29 pm #

I loved my Skip-It! I had the counter one and it never left my side. I skipped-it all over the neighborhood. Such a simple, but fun toy.

2. Gracey 05/10/2010 at 1:05 pm #

I still have mine, woot!

3. Tracy J 05/10/2010 at 1:08 pm #

But the very best thing of all….there’s a counter on this ball! So try and beat your very best score, see if you can skip a whole lot more! Skip It! Skip It!

4. shauna 05/10/2010 at 1:09 pm #

Oh man! I remember the first day I got mine, it was purple and I skipped around the driveway for hours trying to make it to 999 counts. I wonder if it is still in my parent’s garage?

5. Amanda 05/10/2010 at 1:09 pm #

I still have a Skip-It! It doesn’t have a counter, though – just a ribbon thing. When I was still in college I would frequently bust out the Skip-It for drunken skipping marathons and wake up with a bruised ankle.

6. Katie 05/10/2010 at 1:30 pm #

I used to use my Skip-It until my ankle bled. Seriously! My mom made me a special felt ankle cuff to wear when playing with it after that. <3 my mom.

7. Rochelle 05/10/2010 at 1:48 pm #

In my elementary school orthadentia days, my mom gave me the choice of getting braces or going for the cheaper “bionator,” a device where you correct your teeth by doing these weird biting exercises on a retainer-type-thing. She bribed me into choosing the bionator with a Skip It. I got the Skip It and failed to use the bionator and ended up getting braces evetnually anyway.

8. Zoe' 05/10/2010 at 1:54 pm #

totally

9. Megan 05/10/2010 at 1:56 pm #

I think it’s perfectly fine to play skip it as an adult. For example, a few years ago (I admit, it was during my second year of undergrad) my friends and I decided to procrastinate by having a skip it challenge. Take a look!!

10. rhea 05/10/2010 at 2:02 pm #

Aw, I wish I still had mine. I always used to challenge my brother cuz he was uncoordinated… it was mean but fun. :)

11. Sophie 05/10/2010 at 2:32 pm #

Yes! My best friend and I OWNED our elementary school skip it record. We would practice at her house, haha! I have such clear memories of being in front of her house skippin’-it like there was no tomorrow. I am in love with these nostalgic posts!

12. kristar 05/10/2010 at 5:44 pm #

i never had one, but it looks fun.

13. Clara 05/10/2010 at 6:55 pm #

I remember using my skip it on our porch and it made the loudest sound ever but I did it for hours until I FINALLY got like 300 and was too exhausted to keep going. Definitely one of the greatest inventions though

14. Katharine 05/10/2010 at 8:28 pm #

I totally had one, but the counter was NONSENSE! I skipped too quickly and the counter never worked…

15. Allison 05/10/2010 at 10:59 pm #

This is how my best friend of two years and I met. It was on the playground. She had a Skip-it and I HAD to ask her to play! We both still love them.

16. KL 05/11/2010 at 9:46 am #

OH MAN. I had almost forgotten about the Skip-It! I had a hot pink one with a counter, and I wore that thing into the ground. I am pretty sure I’d be in better shape now if I still had it!

17. Emily 05/11/2010 at 11:36 am #

I loved my Skip-It! I remember playing with it in my garage so often, the number counter stopped working. Sadly, my brother broke it.

18. Katelyn Likes This 05/11/2010 at 3:14 pm #

I loved the skip-it. Especially the counter one – then you could compete with your friends.

I also liked the pogo ball! Does anyone remember that?

19. Stacy 05/11/2010 at 8:54 pm #

i remember skip-its! my sister used to play with the counter ones all the time in the summer. when we were done we would always find them covered in dead bugs:P poor ants murdered by skip-its!

20. Kim 05/12/2010 at 12:34 am #

I loved my Skip-It, except for the part where I got a permanent scar on my palm trying to open it Christmas day with ‘adult’ scissors…stitches and Christmas so not go together well.

21. Kenzie 05/12/2010 at 11:21 pm #

This weekend my best friend and I were legitimately talking about skipits, like the entire night. So stoked I still have mine.

22. Megs 05/13/2010 at 1:38 am #

I think I see the next as-seen-on-TV wonder workout item! Can we all take a moment and appreciate the ad for what I believe are slouch socks and the girl’s side ponytail with a scrunchie? No crimped hair?

23. maryb 05/15/2010 at 10:22 pm #

so love it. i remember i thought i was cool when i had it. lol