Baconized Jalapeño Poppers

BY CHRISTEN, WRITING TEAM INTERN

I’ve always had a taste for spice; the more of an emergency in my mouth, the better. So, of course, I’m a die-hard fan of jalapeño poppers. From time to time, though, a true appetizer-eater must ask herself, “How can I make this better?” And, the only reasonable answer to that question is: bacon. Because who doesn’t love bacon? (But don’t worry, vegetarian friends, we’ve got a delicious tweak to the recipe for you!)

So, let us carry forth to the kitchen, ModCooks of the world, armed with the power of bacon and the gusto of flavor, to reinvent the jalapeño popper!

Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeño Poppers
From The Pioneer Woman Cooks. Makes 40 poppers.

• 20 whole, fresh jalapeño peppers
  • 2 bricks (8 oz. per brick) cream cheese
  • 1 pound bacon OR 1 jar marinated sun-dried tomatoes
  • Toothpicks
  1. Heat the oven to 375°F.
  2. Slice jalapeño in half, length-wise. Scrape the seeds and white membrane out of the peppers with a spoon. This takes away the spice. Leave a few seeds in if you want them to be spicy!
  3. Smear cream cheese inside each jalapeño half with a spoon or butter knife.
  4. Unwrap the pound of bacon and slice it into thirds. Take each third and wrap it around a cream-cheese-stuffed jalapeño OR gently tear one side of each sun-dried tomato and wrap it around the pepper. Slide a toothpick through the middle of each creation to keep the bacon or tomato in place.
  5. Place the peppers onto a cookie sheet. If you have a rack to put on top of the cookie sheet, use it. This will allow bacon grease to escape, and will make your appetizer a little more healthy!
  6. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Serve warm or cool.

Can you believe something so simple to make looks so gourmet? Have you tried updating an easy recipe?

Share:FacebookPinterestTwitterGoogle+tumblr

0 Responses to Baconized Jalapeño Poppers

1. C 05/14/2010 at 3:17 pm #

Really excited to try this. My roommates are going to love me.

2. rhea 05/14/2010 at 3:19 pm #

mmm, thanks for this.

3. Stephanie 05/14/2010 at 4:39 pm #

Oh, but what fun are jalapeños if they don’t have that insane flaming kick to them. :P

I can’t wait until our next grocery shopping trip so I can go ahead and try to make these.

4. Jesslyn 05/14/2010 at 5:41 pm #

yumm(:
    thanks a bunch, cant WAIT to try this.
    it looks delish^-^

xoxo,
    Jesslyn Alice <33

5. Alyssa 05/15/2010 at 1:51 pm #

My family makes these almost whevever they can except we don’t call them poppers, we call them armadillo eggs. Not sure why though but they are awesome

6. Angela 05/15/2010 at 6:30 pm #

50 Ways to ask “Marry Me?” and be lucky:
    1º: Make Jalapeño.

7. Julie 05/15/2010 at 6:33 pm #

omgg.. that looks delicious!.. hehe I cant wait to try that my self.. hehe

8. Katie Pie 05/15/2010 at 11:52 pm #

I love to make these in the summer. Sometimes I like to dip the filled jalapenos into shredded sharp cheddar cheese or Gorgonzola THEN bacon wrap them, for en extra kick.

9. Jo 05/17/2010 at 1:00 pm #

YUM!!!! This looks ( and sounds ) sooo good!! I’m sending it to my sis in DC. She loves poppers!! XD

10. Becca 05/17/2010 at 4:02 pm #

Looks amazing and I cannot wait to try it! However, there is one drawback – nutritional info anywhere? I checked the Pioneer Woman Cooks website and did not see it. I’m fairly health conscious and while I don’t think I’ll get a heart attack from a eating a few of these, it would still be good to know what exactly I’m putting in my body.

11. ModCloth 05/17/2010 at 4:23 pm #

@Becca —

Hey! We couldn’t find any nutritional info either, but fashion writer Angela says you can easily make this recipe more health-friendly with substitutions like fake bacon (she swears by it), Tofutti (no cholesterol, butterfat, or hydrogenated oil!), or neufchatel cheese (which has slightly lower calories than cream cheese).

Hope that helps! :)

12. Kenzie 05/18/2010 at 12:17 am #

These are the exact poppers I make! I love to make them for so many events. Word the wise, make sure when you’re seeding the jalepenos to do it under cold water, I was choking the first time I did them.

13. Jean 05/21/2010 at 1:08 pm #

Oh man I cannot wait to make these! We are helping plan a surprise party for my brother-in-law, for his college graduation. I have been fretting over what to contribute to the party and now I know! He will LOVE these…well, I think everyone will love them!