Different But the Same

PinterestTwitterEmailFacebooktumblr

If you’ve ever wondered what the supermarket shelves looked like to your parents or grandparents, the blog Different But the Same can offer some answers. This consumer-culture-lovin’ site compares vintage packaging with their current incarnations, so you can see just how much (or how little) commercial packaging, logos, and slogans have changed over the years.

Do you guys generally prefer retro or modern-day packaging?

0 Responses to Different But the Same

1. Maria 05/18/2010 at 2:53 pm #

Oh, I love looking at old packaging. Thanks for sharing this blog.

2. Christen (ModCloth) 05/18/2010 at 3:47 pm #

Wow, all the old packaging is so much more straightforward and easy to read! I think it should all go back to the original packaging!

3. Cat 05/18/2010 at 3:52 pm #

I adore old packaging…well, actually, I enjoy anything vintage in general :)

4. Richard (ModCloth) 05/18/2010 at 4:30 pm #

My parents or grandparents? Heck, I remember some of these packages from my youth! ;)

5. Richard (ModCloth) 05/18/2010 at 4:48 pm #

Also, the most glaringly obvious change in packaging (to me, anyway) between then and now is that the older designs are simple and memorable, whereas the new designs try to cram in as many colors, graphics, and slogans as possible. It’s ironic, then, because this over-saturation actually detracts the eye from seeing the brand name (i.e. making the brand itself more forgettable in relation to all the crazy images).

6. jodi 05/18/2010 at 4:59 pm #

As a designer, I agree, Richard!

And I ALSO remember most of those old packages.

7. Jesslyn 05/18/2010 at 5:03 pm #

i loveeee the retro packaging. :)

-Jesslyn Alice <33

8. Jeneva-Marie 05/18/2010 at 5:13 pm #

I love the vintage packaging because it’s just neat to look at. It’s like, wow. That’s what everything looked like back then. This is what my grandma looked at in stores and on commercials.
    However, the food tends to look pretty gross in the vintage pictures, TV shows, and commercials. I’d much rather eat the food in modern packaging :^P

9. Susan 05/18/2010 at 6:28 pm #

Instantly going into my feed reader. What a cool site!

10. Lyraida 05/18/2010 at 9:40 pm #

I think in most cases, old packaging is better designed. It seems that now, designers completely threw the “Less is More” rule out the window.

11. Sophie 05/19/2010 at 12:22 am #

I think my view of old packaging is tainted by recently cleaning out our pantry in the house we’ve lived in since 1994. We found dry custard mix that expired in 1996 at the back of the cupboard! It had some neat old packaging, but the nasty outweighed the cool!

12. Katelyn Likes This 05/19/2010 at 2:14 am #

I like the new version better!

13. Amanda 05/19/2010 at 11:39 am #

Is the vintage on the right or the left? I think it’s the left, but it’s hard to tell for sure without a caption (I don’t buy Triscuits. Oops.) At any rate, I like the one on the left more.

14. Zach (ModCloth) 05/19/2010 at 4:29 pm #

There’s definitely a place for both. Not all vintage packaging is good and some of it is plain drab, but on the flip side a lot of modern packaging is gaudy. One of the big problems is that manufacturers must place more text on packages due to regulations, etc.

15. RachelC 05/21/2010 at 4:46 pm #

I would have to say retro is somewhat (a whole lot) cooler…