ModCloth’s Guide for the Blushing Bride

The flowers are blooming, the sun is shining, and love is in the air. I’m talking about wedding season, of course! Welcome to ModCloth’s brides survival guide to stepping out in style, whether you’re a guest, a bridesmaid, or even a bride!

As a woman planning her own wedding, this post is very close to my heart. Naturally, I don’t want my wedding to be your typical event. A vintage flair for me and my bridesmaids is a must. So when it came time to put together my unconventional attire for strolling down the aisle (or charming handsome groomsmen), I knew I had to look no further than my own favorite site – ModCloth, of course! I asked Purchasing Assistant Bobbi to model some bridal looks.

Bright Wedding

While white is a delight and perfect for the big day, I couldn’t help but be left wanting more. My ceremony is going to be an outdoor affair, so a lighter dress with a breezy cut called to me. The Beach Picnic dress, with it’s stunning retro cut and well-crafted detailing, seemed to be the perfect fit. By adding a floral hat (in lieu of a veil), lace gloves, and floral-embellished shoes, this look still has all the romanticism you’d want for a blushing bride for her time in the spotlight. Don’t forget to match the bouquet to the shoes (okay, maybe I’m going a bit overboard, but what else do you expect from a Buyer?).

Get Bobbi’s unconventionally sweet bridal look in our Bright Wedding section!

Blushing Bridesmaid

Always a bridesmaid but never a bride? A fantastic floral frock that you can wear again and again is all the consolation a true fashionista should ever need! The aptly named Save the Date dress’s flattering cut, stunning floral print, and effortless versatility will take you from the ceremony to the dance floor without skipping a style beat. And if you plan on dancing well into the moonlight, the All Aboard Heel’s ultra-comfortable construction and vintage-inspired look will keep you going from the ABBA to ZZ Top. What more could you ask for?

Get Bobbi’s fantastically floral bridesmaids look in the Blushing Bridesmaid category!

Guest of Honor

And finally, not to be overlooked, the guest’s attire! A wedding is always an ideal excuse to buy that darling dress you’ve had your eye on without the guilt of wondering if it will ever leave the hanger. Sure, your dress may not be the center of attention this particular evening, but that doesn’t mean you can’t glam it up to help celebrate the union at hand. Demure gold details like The Neverending Necklace and the Eureeka’s Tassel Bracelet will transform a pretty floral dress into a uniquely chic look without looking overdone. Raise your glass, and toast spring fashion at it’s finest. That’s what wedding season is all about, right?

Get Bobbi’s gorgeous guest look in our Guest of Honor section!

To all you ladies preparing to celebrate one of the happiest days of your life, always remember that your wedding day is all about you (and your partner, I guess…)! A one-of-a-kind vintage wedding dress or the perfect bridesmaid’s look will help ensure that you’re not the only one that will remember your big day for years to come. If you need any additional couture advice, feel free to leave a comment. I’m only one of a handful of ModCloth ladies who are in the process of planning their wedding – and boy do we love talking style!

0 Responses to ModCloth’s Guide for the Blushing Bride

1. Andrei 06/04/2010 at 4:28 pm #

Amazing. I don’t like the bride outfit, but the Guest Of Honor outfit is just perfect. The 4 elements just fit perfectly together. The necklace looks like it’s part of the dress.

2. Jacky 06/04/2010 at 9:05 pm #

I agree, the guest of honor is nice. but really not the “bride” you can’t fool anyone here, that is not bride worthy.

3. Katie 06/04/2010 at 9:14 pm #

The bride outfit is horrible. I would never ever wear that to my wedding.

4. Lindsay (ModCloth) 06/04/2010 at 9:41 pm #

Thanks for your comments – I really appreciate your opinions!

I knew going into this that the vintage inspired look wasn’t going to be for everyone!

How would you style your ModCloth bridal look? I’m still planning my wedding, so of course I could use some pointers!

5. Katherine Wiggins 06/04/2010 at 10:40 pm #

Oh, I think people are being a little harsh on the bride outfit! I have that dress and it is gorgeous, and with the gloves and little floral hat, as well as the brightness of the flowers, It would be perfect for a small townhall wedding or the like. I do agree about the guest of honor outfit though – perfect!

6. Nina 06/04/2010 at 11:16 pm #

I absolutely adore the guest of honour outfit. It is perfect. However, I am not a fan of the bride outfit. It is much to casual for a wedding, much less the bride. The colour could work beautifully, but the dress? Not so much.

7. Lauren 06/04/2010 at 11:50 pm #

Though the “Bride” outfit doesn’t quite cut it for what I’d like in my ceremony, I DO think it is absolutely PERFECT for afterward, driving away…

8. Anicka 06/05/2010 at 7:36 am #

I actually like the bride outfit – for a casual, bit 40s wedding.

9. Robyn 06/05/2010 at 10:56 am #

Very cute ideas for all three. I love the bride outfit, but not for the bride, maybe for a guest or a bridesmaid, though. Come on, it’s the bride’s (and sometimes the groom’s) big day! She needs to be a bit more, you know? Congratulations on getting married! I hope planning goes well and your day is lovely!

10. Katie 06/05/2010 at 3:26 pm #

Personally, I think that it’s the bride’s big day, and if she is non-traditional, and doesn’t want to wear a white dress, Lindsay’s “bride” look is really classic, retro, and chic! I’m definitely not into wearing a poufy, $10k gown on my wedding day, so I love that there are outside-the-box options like that! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I love that Lindsay took a risk here. This is what makes Modcloth great! You go girl. :)

11. Elizabeth 06/05/2010 at 4:36 pm #

Lindsay, I’m with you. The look you put together for the bride is actually right on. My grandmother got married in a skirt suit. I remember when I asked her why she told me that in the 40’s it was the “new look” and considered fashionable to wear something untraditional like that. Here’s a good example: http://www.fashion-era.com/images/Photosfam/egan.jpg

12. Andrei 06/05/2010 at 11:28 pm #

As an answer to Lindsay, I would say a white ( or just lighter) dress with a little more details would be prettier. Actually, it looks like the bride took the first item pulling out of her wardrobe. Also, instead of the floral thing, I would lean on the side of Elizabeth and take a hat that looks like the one on the picture. Imagine a breezy long white dress with the Composition VII hat.?

13. Jess 06/06/2010 at 11:55 am #

I actually like the “Brides” outfit, but I think it would be better suited for a guest or one of the brides maids. That is unless it was a courthouse wedding, then it would probably work.

14. Alice 06/06/2010 at 12:32 pm #

Honestly, I don’t think big floral prints on anyone are a good idea at a wedding. Some people might be okay with them but I think they’re too informal for the occasion. There are lots of great classy Modcloth dresses that would do a better job of expressing your personal style without taking attention away from the bride.

15. Kristina 06/06/2010 at 1:02 pm #

Love the wedding dress – I would definitely go for something like that.

16. Katharine Ellis Tapley 06/07/2010 at 10:17 am #

I agree with a lot of these comments: though it’s not what I would do, the bride’s outfit is classy and pretty. I dig it.

17. Katharine Ellis Tapley 06/07/2010 at 10:19 am #

Hey wasn’t there a white tiered short dress that ModCloth had a while back? Cloud Nine? I remember thinking that would be a GREAT non traditional wedding dress.

18. Jenna 06/07/2010 at 8:20 pm #

While I do *like* the bride dress, and think it could go into a wedding, a bride wouldn’t stand out in that at all, and it is, after all, HER DAY! Love the gloves, though, and the contrast is nice between the gloves and the dress. I think if the dress were lighter it could be done.

Personally there’s a lot more variety available to bridesmaids and guests than before, and both those choices are great. I was just at a very classy-but-casual, brown themed wedding and both of those would have fit in perfectly :)

19. Midiã 06/08/2010 at 12:12 am #

Bright Wedding ahhh perfect and lovely beautiful dress

20. Genevieve 06/09/2010 at 10:38 am #

It’s not for me, but I think it works for something more casual and non-traditional. The bride is very retro chic and I don’t think florals are too casual for a wedding at all! My uncle got married in shorts and flip flops on the lawn at my grandmother’s cottage and his wife wore a sundress. Very untraditional, but it worked for them :)

21. Andrew 06/10/2010 at 12:18 am #

I don’t mean to be too old-fashioned here, but I think the symbolism of white and its connection with purity is too important for a bride to give up just for fashion’s sake.

That sad, I think it’s a great outfit.

22. Andrew 06/10/2010 at 12:19 am #

*said, sorry.

23. Brittanyelizabeth 09/10/2010 at 11:24 pm #

i love the outfits, i wouldn’t personally wear the bride dress, but modcloth has many nice dresses that would pass as a good dress for the bride on her wedding day. i made a set showing ways you could dress up an outfit so that its bride worthy.

here’s the link.