A Sunny Guide to Finding Your Perfect Frames

When the public pools begin to open, it’s a sure sign that summer is in full effect. Brightly shining sun means plenty of open toes, bare shoulders, and the opportunity to show off your favorite warm weather accessory – a pair of sweet shades!

We know that finding the best sunglasses for your face shape is no easy task. Here are some pointers to ensure your stylish sunnies are both complementary and chic.

SQUARE

Square sunglasses

In this illustration: Bridge the Gap Sunglasses

A square face shape is usually an angular face with a strong, square jaw line and broad forehead. To balance out the strength of a square, well-defined jaw, try a pair of oval or round sunglasses with thick rims and temples (the “arms” of sunglasses) which connect at the top of the frame.

OBLONG

oblong

In this illustration: 10-Day Shades

An oblong face shape is a fairly narrow face that is generally more long than it is wide. Tall or oversized sunglasses help break up the length of an oblong face shape, creating a look that’s proportional and perfect.

ROUND

round

In this illustration: Turbinado Sugar Shades

A round face shape is typically defined by full cheeks, a smoothly rounded chin, and an equal width and length, much like a perfect circle. Many sunglasses styles work for round face shapes. Angular or geometric frames define facial features, while sunglasses with temples that connect at the top of the frame add length.

HEART

heart

In this illustration: Hibiscus Hottie Sunglasses

A heart face shape is typically defined by a wide forehead and high cheekbones, with a narrow, convex chin. If you have a heart face shape, avoid top-heavy frames, as they draw attention to the width of your forehead. Instead, try a pair of rounded, aviator-esque sunglasses.

TRIANGLE

triangle

In this illustration: 88 mph Glasses

A triangle face shape includes a narrow forehead, with a wide, strong jaw line and broad cheekbones. To balance out the width of the lower half of your face, try a pair of semi-rimless shades, or a pair of top-heavy style sunglasses.

For more sweet and stylish frames to flatter your pretty face, check out our eyewear selection!

Share:FacebookPinterestTwitterGoogle+tumblr

, , ,

0 Responses to A Sunny Guide to Finding Your Perfect Frames

1. Jacky 06/04/2010 at 12:11 pm #

what about oval. I have an oval face.

2. Annie (ModCloth) 06/04/2010 at 12:13 pm #

You’re in luck, Jacky! Oval can wear just about any style of sunglasses, because of the balanced proportions of the face shape.

3. Aire (ModCloth) 06/04/2010 at 12:18 pm #

Awesome post Annie!!! And oh so helpful!!! :)

4. Ryan Russell 06/04/2010 at 6:30 pm #

I’m not sure what shape my face is it’s oval but kinda square. Does that mean that I can wear shades for oval and square faces? Please help love Ryan!

5. Jacinta 06/04/2010 at 6:36 pm #

ihioh

6. AC 06/04/2010 at 7:52 pm #

What about Diamond Shaped faces? Like a heart but without a wide forehead.

7. Rachel 06/04/2010 at 8:28 pm #

now i dont have to worry about what sunglasses to get. =)

8. Kamy 06/04/2010 at 8:53 pm #

I have a round face and this is exactly on the spot. I love those type of sunglasses and they look great on me! And everyone says so. Thanks for the help!!!!

9. Clair 06/04/2010 at 11:38 pm #

Yes! When I went sunglasses shopping earlier in the spring I picked the right pair for a round face… who’d have known? (:

10. Ellen 06/05/2010 at 3:01 am #

I have an oblong face and really… oversized sunglasses just aren’t the right thing for my kind of faceshape.

11. becci 06/05/2010 at 5:11 am #

I have tried every single pair of sunglasses on the planet and NOTHING suits me.
    I know it’s not just me because my friends have all said the same thing.
    I have a very small face and it seems I can get nothing to suit!
    HELP

12. Jannine 06/06/2010 at 6:29 pm #

I have an oval face, but I always find that glasses are extremely large for me, and make me look like a fly. What can you suggest?

13. Jackie 06/06/2010 at 9:49 pm #

I have like a tear drop face and can NEVER find glasses! HELP MEE!!!

14. Hollie 06/07/2010 at 3:49 am #

I think I have the same problem as Becci- sunglasses always look way too big on me :(
    Helpful post though :D :D

15. Annie (ModCloth) 06/07/2010 at 11:26 am #

Hey, everyone!

Wow, first and foremost, thanks for the awesome feedback!

@Ryan If your face shape is somewhat oval and somewhat square, I would recommend trying out a pair of oval or round sunnies with thick rims (recommended for the square face shape), because the oval face shape is flattered by many styles.

@AC I’m glad you asked about diamond face shapes! Rimless frames complement a diamond face shape, as well as cat eye and oval sunglasses.

@becci No worries, girl! For a smaller face, try a pair of narrow, linear frames. You might also find luck in a pair of aviator style sunglasses, as they seem to flatter most face shapes. Good luck!

@Jannine Luckily, with an oval face shape, most sunglasses styles are complementary. If you find that a lot of frames seem oversized and unflattering, try a pair of retro-inspired cat eye frames, or a pair of rectangular frames, which add strong angels to an oval face shape.

@Jackie Tear drop face shapes can follow the same advice as triangle face shapes. Try a pair of semi-rimless sunglasses to accentuate the upper part of your face:)

@Hollie Many sunglasses are oversized, as that style is becoming increasingly more popular. However, oversized shades aren’t for everyone. Try a pair of aviators or wayfarers for a classic style that is typically quite complementary.

Again, thanks for reading, everybody! Best of luck styling your sunnies!