Scarves, Our New Summer Staple!

Unlike Sandy and Danny Zuko, scarves don’t get much summer lovin’. After we saw this smart New Yorker using her scarf as a cardigan substitute, though, we’re not sure why. Loosely woven scarves are the perfect solution to cool summer days, or a basic outfit. We love how she draped her scarf over her shoulders like a shawl to give her rose-colored dress a bohemian flair, and we can’t get enough of her rustic two-strap sandals.

How do you mix scarves into your summer wardrobe? (Tell us more, tell us more!)

, , ,

8 Responses to Scarves, Our New Summer Staple!

1. Lizz 06/15/2010 at 5:35 pm #

its kinda difficult because i don’t want to get too hot but i use them as headbands if they’re not too thick or as belts or shawls. i have a bright yellow one on as a belt right now.

2. Lynzy 06/15/2010 at 9:14 pm #

LOVE scarves right now. I just posted a look on my blog earlier today featuring a vintage scarf :)

3. Dee 06/15/2010 at 9:23 pm #

I wear scarves frequently during all seasons. During the summer, I find them useful as an indoor cover-up for otherwise-inappropriate summer garb. It’s seemingly a tradition in Georgia (and perhaps elsewhere) that the extreme heat must be beaten by turning the thermostat to 50 degrees, making it extremely difficult to create an ensemble comfortable for both environments! The scarf serves another purpose, then, as warmth for the chilly indoors. Nice scarves can dress up a more casual outfit, and casual scarves can add variety to your wardrobe.

Basically, I love scarves.

4. Emily 06/15/2010 at 10:16 pm #

Scarves are a perfect solution for those potentially chilly flights to sunny summer vacation spots! They are perfect as wraps or to keep your neck warm or to bundle up and use as a pillow to snooze on those long (and often boring) airplane rides! I like to pair a scarf with a lightweight cardigan or cute jacket so I don’t have to sacrifice style to stay warm!

5. Sam 06/16/2010 at 1:03 am #

I carry sarongs with me all year long. They make great shawls, cover-ups, scarves, and even shirts! I would never travel without one. They’re especially great for taking on a plane where it is often very cold. I also use smaller ones for hair accessories, belts, or to add a pop of colour to my purse.

6. Kelsey Gordon 06/16/2010 at 1:33 am #

i have a really similar scarf to the one above, its the best for summer! it almost not as hot when you wear it as a shawl because it keeps your skin out of the shade. and if you squeeze it tight when the sun goes down it’ll keep you warm!

7. Brittney M. 06/16/2010 at 11:48 am #

i looove scarves, but unfortunately it’s too hot in texas to wear them year round so i envy those that can. i go through scarf withdrawals during the summer when they’re sitting abandoned in my drawers. lol i do have a few small ones that i wear to dress up my hair when i throw it up in a ponytail or bun though.

8. Bernadine 06/17/2010 at 12:01 pm #

This is a fashion trend used by half the ladies in Singapore. It is the perfect cover for the air-conditioned indoors while being the chic light accessory for the sunny warm weather outdoors.