Name It and Win It: Roadtrip Edition WINNERS!

PinterestTwitterEmailFacebooktumblr

That was some journey! Now that we’re back in the ModCloth offices, we’re excited to announce the winners for this road trip of a contest. Thank you to our guest judges all across the nation. Thanks also to everyone who participated and helped make this yet another successful Name It and Win It. And of course, congratulations to our winners!

Here they are…

Day 1, New York – “A Coral Line” Dress by Lindsay

Day 2, Nashville – “Lacy Breaky Heart” Dress by Megan

Day 3, Denver – “Cute As a Nugget” Dress by Mandi

Day 4, San Francisco – “Sittin’ on the Frock of the Bay” Dress by Ali

Day 5, Anchorage – “Forget-Me-Dot” Frock by Elle Croft

Which dress is your favorite? Let us know!

54 Responses to Name It and Win It: Roadtrip Edition WINNERS!

1. McKenzie 06/18/2010 at 11:14 am #

I really really like the Day 4, San Francisco — “Sittin’ on the Frock of the Bay” Dress by Ali! Its so sweet!

2. susan 06/18/2010 at 11:39 am #

Lacy Breaky Heart is perfect for that dress!

3. Julie (ModCloth) 06/18/2010 at 11:40 am #

I love all of these – bravo to the winners! Clever & cute.

4. Kim 06/18/2010 at 11:53 am #

My favorite is the Forget-Me-Dot dress!

5. jill 06/18/2010 at 12:09 pm #

Congrats to all the winners! Great names. But I guess I misunderstood the point of the contest — weren’t they supposed to be referencing the cities the dresses were inspired by?

6. Alison Rowley 06/18/2010 at 12:10 pm #

I like the “Lacy breaky Heart” name but I don’t like the dress. I loved the “A Coral Line” dress but the name does not fit it well. The rest of the dresses and names I don’t much like. Congrats to the winners!

7. Maggie (ModCloth) 06/18/2010 at 12:30 pm #

All of these names fit so well with the products and the cities – love the choices! Great job!

8. Jean 06/18/2010 at 12:49 pm #

I think the names match their towns…for the most part: Denver Nuggets basketball, Achy Breaky heart was a super-popular country song, San Francisco Bay / frock of the bay.
    But I don’t get how the Coral Line and Forget Me Dot dress match their cities.

9. Jean 06/18/2010 at 12:51 pm #

Oh, I just got it! Forget-Me-Nots are Alaska’s state flower.

I suppose A Coral Line has something to do with the NY subway…and not Coraline the movie.

10. Christina 06/18/2010 at 1:13 pm #

Jean, I think the NY name is supposed to pay homage to Broadway and ‘A Chorus Line.’ My favorite dress is “Sittin’ on the Frock of the Bay” Dress, just not the name.

11. liz 06/18/2010 at 1:21 pm #

A little disappointed with the coral dress name since it doesn’t seem to relate to NYC at all! Loving the other dress names though (esp. lacy breaky heart!)

12. Megan 06/18/2010 at 1:24 pm #

My guess is that “A Coral Line” is referencing a chorus line, like what The Rockettes do, or the musical “A Chorus Line”.

13. Amy 06/18/2010 at 2:26 pm #

i love the name “A Coral Line” it is so Broadway!

14. Kristen Renee 06/18/2010 at 2:56 pm #

I had a hard time seeing the dresses with the cities you paired them with… especially the Alaska one… There is nothing Alaska about it.

15. Alison Rowley 06/18/2010 at 3:39 pm #

I’m finding myself disagreeing with my earlier comment. I don’t like any of the names, because they DO NOT MAKE SENSE. There were so much better names for all of these than what were picked. Including the ones I typed down, made much more sense. This is disappointing, not because I didn’t win, but because I thought the whole point of this contest was to come up with names that made sense to the city they were paired with…and none of them do compared to all the other entries that I saw. p

16. Ellinore 06/18/2010 at 3:50 pm #

It’s sad that so many of these comments unhappy, bitter! I love the names. Be gracious losers and be happy for the people who did win! They deserve it. Congrats to you all and modcloth, you guys did a great job choosing!

17. Eve 06/18/2010 at 4:10 pm #

I don’t understand, A.R., they all relate very specifically. A coral line is related to the broadway musical, Lacey Breaky heart is related to the song which came out of the country music record labels of nashville, cute as a nugget refers to either the colorado nuggets basketball team or just gold mining in general, frock of the bay relates to san francisco bay, and forget me nots are the alaska state flower i believe.

18. Alison Rowley 06/18/2010 at 4:20 pm #

You don’t make sense. The contest was about choosing three names specifically relating to City (Cities) in New York (for an example)…and all of them that were picked could be pinned to any city in the world, actually! Lacy Breaky Heart was the one that made the most sense, and even then, it was just a country song.
    I was just thinking it would make more sense to have actually picked names for these dresses that had the City or something really popular about the City in it. Maybe all these names are supposed to be popular relating, but I really don’t get naming a flowery dress, “Cute as a Nugget” LOL

19. Jenni 06/18/2010 at 4:47 pm #

cute names! congrats to the winnners. my favorite name is the one for San Francisco!

20. Alison Rowley 06/18/2010 at 4:52 pm #

Oh btw, Ellinore, I did congradulate the winners in my first comment. If you would have actually paid attention to the positive. I am happy for the winners, I hope they enjoy their clothes. And I am grateful, that I had this opportunity to enter this contest. Stop pointing fingers: it makes you sound like an old stuck up woman, kind of like your name. You should read all the comments better. I did have positive things to say.

21. rachel 06/18/2010 at 4:55 pm #

cute names! i like the san fran name..congrats!!!

22. Aire (ModCloth) 06/18/2010 at 4:57 pm #

Wow! I love these names! Our guest judges did an awesome job! They really kept with the ModCloth vibe when selecting names that were inspired by each city! Well done ladies!!!

23. Erin 06/18/2010 at 5:19 pm #

Sittin’ on the Dock of the Bay is a famous song by Otis Redding which references San Francisco and is a favorite here in the bay! I thought it was a lovely play on words. Congratulations to all of the winners, and thanks to Modcloth for hosting such a lovely giveaway!

24. Eve 06/18/2010 at 5:22 pm #

Yes Aire I totally guessed that “Frock of the bay” would win, its so clever.

25. SharonLei 06/18/2010 at 5:55 pm #

Aloha!! What fabulous names for gorgeous dresses. Congrats to all the winners. :)

xx Love & Aloha

26. Ally 06/18/2010 at 6:44 pm #

I’m SUPER bummed I didn’t win, but I did LOVE this contest.

However, I agree that there were some names that had a lot more connection with the cities than the winners did.

Ah, well, maybe next time!

27. Jasmine 06/18/2010 at 6:55 pm #

Very clever names. They fit perfect with these lovely dresses. Congrats winners! :)

28. Lindsay 06/18/2010 at 8:33 pm #

Yay! I won! I’ve had so much fun with all the name it and win contests but this is my first win! Thanks so much!

29. Nessa 06/18/2010 at 10:01 pm #

Some of these are really great names, and all of the dresses are totally fabulous, but I agree with some of the above comments that I think that there were better choices for some of the dresses (and not necessarily the ones I posted, cause I know some of my ideas were dumb). I thought the names had to both make sense for the dress and the city, and several of these either make sense for the dress or the city, but not both. All in all, I’m a bit disappointed.

30. Lesley 06/18/2010 at 10:42 pm #

Thank you Modcloth for having this contest! I had so much fun coming up with names and reading other entries that it was completely worth it regardless of the outcome. I hope you do more of these “inspired-by” contests in the future! Congrats to those who won!

31. Kat 06/18/2010 at 11:29 pm #

I absolutely love the dress ‘sitting on the frock of the bay’ but I don’t much like the name…I think it’s because the word ‘frock’ sounds so horrifically frumpy to me >< Still, awesome idea for a contest!!

32. missi 06/19/2010 at 1:23 am #

hi Aire and Maggie (modcloth) i participated in the competition. I came up with the name ‘CORALLINE DRESS’ and i see that you used it but i wasn’t notified that i won the competition.

33. steph 06/19/2010 at 2:32 am #

I hope that there’s another Name It & Win It contest soon! These contests are one of my favorite things about Modcloth. It inspires lots of creativity! I don’t really get the names that were picked for the alaska and colorado ones…but I’ve never been to alaska or colorado, so maybe there are a lot of nuggets and forget-me-nots there?

34. Stacy 06/19/2010 at 9:38 am #

Lacy Breaky Heart cracks me up. Too cute!

35. Rae 06/19/2010 at 11:27 am #

Missi, Lindsay came up with it first. Her name was used. You have to be quick on the draw. I came up with the Forget-Me-Dot Dress a few seconds after Elle came up with with the Forget-Me-Dot Frock. Just shows you have to be quick with your names!

36. RachelC 06/19/2010 at 12:58 pm #

So cute and clever!

37. Kelly 06/19/2010 at 1:27 pm #

Congrats to the winners! I do agree however, the “Cute as a Nugget” name doesn’t really make sense. I get it, Denver nuggets, but cute as a nugget? Other than that one, I think the judges did a good job!

38. Kelly 06/19/2010 at 1:28 pm #

P.S. I agree with Steph. This was a fun competition, I hope you’ll do it again!

39. Lizzie 06/19/2010 at 1:46 pm #

A Coral Line is so clever! I also love the San Francisco dress

40. Gabriela 06/19/2010 at 4:07 pm #

My favorite dress is Sittin’ on the Frock of the Bay. There were some very obvious choices made in the name selections and I’m very happy for the winners.

Hopefully, for the next Name It and Win It, you’ll allow space for the rationale behind the names submitted. For example, “Mercy’s Molotov” was an homage to the movie The Warriors, which was filmed in New York. Maybe not the best name but a good use of pop culture. :)

I’m sure that many of the names submitted will be used by modcloth in the future and while a prize will not be given, I hope that the originators will be afforded honorable mention.

41. Starr Crow 06/19/2010 at 7:39 pm #

all the names are so perfect!

42. samantha 06/20/2010 at 12:09 pm #

the dresses were ok, most of the names are clever… i dont like the denver one though– its just not relative to the dress.
    i would have preferred any of the floral references such as columbine or cherry blossom, etc.

43. Josipa 06/21/2010 at 2:07 am #

the names are very unique and clever. Congrats winners! and this contest was fun, it should be done again:)

44. Jill 06/21/2010 at 11:51 am #

I agree that it should be done again…. But maybe include something in the contest rules/description more about what your looking for. I think part of the frustration that you’re sensing in the comments is that you suggested in the rules that we directly reference a landmark, street, or more specific aspect of each city, but the names you actually selected were more simple and general.

45. Alison Rowley 06/21/2010 at 12:15 pm #

Thank you Jill, that is exactly what I was trying to say! They did seem to want names directly referencing landmarks. And the names are a lot simpler and do not make sense in that way. Please do another contest like this, but make the rules more definite to what you are proposing. Again, I do congratulate the winners, but I admit it is frustrating when you expect names picked specifically to landmarks and you get random names instead of something that might relate to the place.

46. Jessica 06/21/2010 at 12:23 pm #

I don’t think that the name for the Denver dress fits it very well. The rules said that the names must represent the area as well as the dress. However, the other names are to die for. :)

47. Shayna 06/21/2010 at 1:46 pm #

Actually, to be grammatically correct, the San Fransisco dress should be titled “Sitting in a Frock on the Bay,” not “Sittin’ on the Frock of the Bay.” You don’t sit on a frock; you wear it, so you sit in it. I think you completely missed the mark on that one. But it was a fun contest!

48. Julie 06/21/2010 at 2:31 pm #

Actually, they are pretty clever names when you think about it….congratulations to the winner. Fun contest!

49. Roz 06/21/2010 at 3:43 pm #

I have to agree. I didn’t even participate and I think some of the names picked just don’t do the cities or the clothing justice.

Oh well, cute concept.

50. fake name here 06/21/2010 at 10:58 pm #

i absolutely LOVE the ”cute as a nugget” dress, and I am totally, completely, jealous of the winner! I wanted to buy it, but they were out of my size, and now its not even on the website! ….*teardrops*….
    maybe i could sew one like it……

51. Nur 06/21/2010 at 11:59 pm #

i love all of them they are sooo cute but if i had to pick i would pick the sitting on the frock on the bay.

52. Stacy 06/22/2010 at 5:45 pm #

I understand the frustration, too. Not trying to take away from any of the winners, but I just feel like the more thoughtful names incorporated not only specific references to the city, but also details of the dress. As much as I like some of the names, I wouldn’t necessarily know anything about the dress or pick up on the city’s shout out based on the name. It’s a subjective contest, though, and I understand that. Had I been a judge in such a contest, I would’ve leaned more toward the names that incorporated both city (specifically) and dress.

53. Taylor B. 06/25/2010 at 4:40 pm #

I would rock Day 3 for sure!

54. Taylor B. 06/25/2010 at 4:41 pm #

Shayna, it’s a take on the song…sittin’ on the dock of the bay…