The World’s Greatest Chicken Pot Pie

Nothing speaks to me quite like home cooking. That’s why when I learned about the lovely ladies known as the Casserole Queens, I was smitten! Not only does the Austin-based food delivery service cook up home-cooked classics like Corn Dog Casserole and Lunch Lady Doris’ Spicy Mac and Cheese, the Queens hand deliver each mouth-watering meal dressed in iconic retro garb!

The Casserole Queens were generous enough to share their famous Chicken Pot Pie recipe with us, so, as thanks, we named a dress after them!

div style=width: 610px; class=wp-caption alignnone img alt=The Casserole Queens src=http://modcloth.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/casserole-queens-2.jpg p class=wp-caption-texta href=

World’s Greatest Chicken Pot Pie
Makes 8 servings

• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 roasted chicken, deboned and shredded
  • ¼ cup chopped red bell pepper
  • 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon dried tarragon, crushed
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • ⅓ cup dry white wine
  • 1 ½ cups fresh peas, blanched*
  • 1 ½ cups carrots, diced and blanched*
  • 2 potatoes, diced and cooked
  • 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
  • Egg wash (lightly whisk together 1 whole egg and 1 teaspoon water)
  1. Preheat the oven to 425˚F.
  2. In a large skillet set over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the chicken, bell pepper, and shallots, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in the flour, salt, tarragon, and black pepper. Add the milk and cream, and cook, stirring frequently until the mixture is thick and bubbly. Add the wine, peas, carrots, and potatoes, and stir until heated thoroughly.
  3. Transfer the hot chicken mixture to a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish. Place the puff pastry over the top of the casserole dish. Brush the puff pastry with the egg wash, then cut slits in the pastry to allow steam to escape. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until golden brown.

*To get the most flavor out of your veggies, make sure to blanch them in hot SALTED water. If you skip this step, you might need to add additional salt to the recipe.

Add a little spice to your kitchen by wearing this dress while fixing dinner! What’s your favorite meal to cook?

sarah

About Sarah

Who would have thought the little girl in the oversized Goofy t-shirt would grow up to become a fashion writer? Definitely not young Sarah; she was too busy daydreaming about becoming a ninja. A native New Englander, Sarah's goal is to one day own a lake or beach house -- she changes her mind daily. She has a mean curveball and once tried out for the Olympics. She loves pretty purses, going to baseball games, and will go to extraordinary lengths for chocolate. She has an MFA in Creative Writing and a Bachelor's Degree in Awesomeness.

, , , ,

11 Responses to The World’s Greatest Chicken Pot Pie

1. FireMom 06/24/2010 at 11:30 am #

Oh my. That dress is stunning. I can’t even get over it.

My favorite thing to cook right now is actually Peanut Chicken in Red Curry Sauce with a side of nice rice. (SimplyRecipes.com for the recipe, my friends. Fab food blog.) I made it on my birthday this year and I crave it frequently!

2. 2createanything 06/24/2010 at 11:50 am #

The picture looks like it has puff pastry on the bottom, too. But the recipe says it just goes on top. Which is right?

3. Lavender 06/24/2010 at 11:53 am #

I’m so glad the Casserole Queens had a dress named after them!!! Who doesn’t want to bake chicken pot pie in that?

4. Melanie 06/24/2010 at 12:04 pm #

Yum! Im gonna have to try this. Learning how to cook first might come in handy though.

5. nicola 06/24/2010 at 12:22 pm #

have always wanted to make a chicken pot pie. my babysitter always made it for me and my brothers when i was growing up. thanks so much for this blog entry and the recipe! as always, modcloth rocks!

6. Amanda 06/24/2010 at 1:18 pm #

That dress is really adorable. I could see myself serving up some casserole or cake in that. :)

7. skye 06/24/2010 at 2:19 pm #

the casserole queens have great style! one of them recently delivered to my house and had on the cutest little dress. thanks for featuring them!

8. nicola 06/25/2010 at 8:36 am #

okay, so i’m crazy and i made this dish last night- that’s how excited i was to have an awesome chicken pot pie recipe. and okay, it was freakiin delicious beyond belief! i highly reccommend using totally fresh veggies (peas and carrots) because it is really the difference! i didn’t know what puff pastry was, but i used fila dough and it worked out great! thanks again!!!

9. jill 06/25/2010 at 10:42 am #

This is one of my favorite dishes to cook. Home-made pie crust takes it to another level, IMO — if you’ve never made it, it’s easier than you think. Line the bottom of the dish and lay on top. Also — I add mashed sweet potatoes to the rioux, which thickens it and gives AMAZING flavor.

10. Eliza 06/27/2010 at 4:17 pm #

I love diced sweet potatoes in chicken pot pie, Jill! I make mine with leeks, sweet corn, and thyme, too. The presentation of this is amazing – and phyllo dough/puff pastry is a better idea than the store bought pie crust.

11. ladygigi 06/27/2010 at 10:07 pm #

I’ve seen these ladies on TV. Chef Bobby Flay has challenged them for a chicken pot pie throw down in one of his episode..The ladies outfits were always fun and sweet. And yes! They not only homemade their casserole dishes but deliver them by themselves too!! Great choice ladies! And great promo for ModCloth, my fav online shop!!!!