Monterey, Make My Day

In this Outfit: Watery World Maxi, Sandcastle Cardigan, Hey, Jell-ousy Flat, Moonshadow Necklace, Too Hat to Handle

Hard to believe that a city so small can offer up such a great number of things to do! Guess it’s no surprise, considering the star-studded list of artists and writers – John Steinbeck, Robert Louis Stevenson, Xavier Martinez, and more – who have, at some point, lived in Monterey, California. Might as well go see what’s so inspiring about the place yourself, right? Oh, and while you’re at it, see if you can spot the road shark.

Mission San Carlos

Photo: Wikimedia user Didier B

1. With a history that dates back to 1770, and a name that’s nearly as long, Misson San Carlos Borromeo del Rio Carmelostrong is well worthy of worship. Inside the astounding five-foot thick walls of this National Historic Landmark, is an architecturally amazing church with an interesting collection of old Spanish religious art, and also on the grounds is oh, you know, just a museum or two.

2. Fishing around for something neat to see? Head to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. People rave about this place, and despite the $30 entry fee, it’s no wonder why; its filled with mesmerizing displays, from swaying kelp forests to joy-inducing sea otters.

3. There must be a reason why Point Lobos State Park is nicknamed the “crown jewel of the State Park System.” Perhaps it’s the rocky ocean views, stunning enough to knock the wind out of you. Perhaps it’s the ribbons of pristine walking trails. Perhaps it’s the delicate flora. No matter what it is, we reckon you ought to find out!

Cannery Row

Photo: Flickr user commorancy

4. It’s hard to believe that this store, now stuffed full as a teddy bear with old oddities and delights, was once a canning warehouse. Cleaned up a bit since 1927, but still boasting its original architecture, the Cannery Row Antique Mall is a vintage lover’s Land of Oz. With reasonable prices and mountain ranges of antiques to pore over, this store will have you saying, “There’s no place like this!”

Have you cruised around this California town? What did you do?

8 Responses to Monterey, Make My Day

1. Kaylie 06/28/2010 at 2:44 pm #

I have cruised around this California town, as I live less than a half an hour away.

This feature makes me insanely happy!

The Cannery Row Antique Mall is a must-see for anyone. There are entire sections dedicated to old ads, newspapers, postcards, and photographs, plus vintage clothing and books.

The dealer’s are also insanely sweet, and at the counter there is a flyer advertising all of the other antique stores that they’re associated with, and it even has a map!

Besides the antique mall and aquarium, The Warf is a total tourist trap, but completely worth it if you want a good bowl of clam chowder.

Amazing, ModCloth! Love the feature.

If anyone cruises through Monterey, they should also check out Carmel-by-the-Sea, which is full of cottages, tea rooms, and amazing scenery!

2. kelsey 06/28/2010 at 3:42 pm #

Gosh, this post brings back old memories! My family and I used to go to Monterrey every so often and drive along the gorgeous coast; I’m glad to say I’ve been to all the places you reccomended! Shopping was all right I suppose, but I for one had a camera glued to my hand the whole time! Carmel, untainted by much of the tourism, was absolutely stunning… thanks for letting me relive those times!!.

3. Richard (ModCloth) 06/28/2010 at 8:38 pm #

I’ve never been to Monterey, but a little further up north at the other end of the bay is one of my favorite places – a town they call Santa Cruz (or if you’re a “Lost Boys” fanatic, you may know it as Santa Carla)!

4. JD 06/29/2010 at 4:29 pm #

I went to grad school in Monterey and loved it! When there you should check out Kaiya, a women’s clothing shop that is awesome!

5. seethingrain 06/29/2010 at 7:35 pm #

Oh yes, one of my favourite places in the world! I would never have fallen in love with John Steinbeck if I hadn’t gone there!

Besides the shops, there are some great seafood restaurants that are worth hitting. And while you’re in Monterey County, you should definetely take the scenic 17 Mile Drive. The views are absoluteley amazing. I also second the suggestion of visiting Carmel-by-the-Sea! Such a charming little town.

It’s a beautiful place. The weather and atmosphere are absolutely perfect too. Love it. :)

6. Tammy 06/29/2010 at 10:08 pm #

Ooh, I’m going to grad school there in August! You make it look so fabulous. Now I’m extra excited — especially to check out that Antique Mall!

7. Leanne 07/01/2010 at 7:26 pm #

Ocean Kayaking at Monterey Bay Kayak is definitely something fun to do, especially when the sun is out. Just be sure to wear sun screen! Don’t forget to go to Old Fisherman’s Wharf where you can have all the free samples of clam chowder you want!

8. Nell 07/04/2010 at 4:30 pm #

I went to Monterey a few months ago on a family vacation. I absolutely love Cannery Row. There are so many cute little gift shops. Plus there was a super delicious Thai restaurant. We stayed at a gorgeous hotel called the Victorian Inn and sat by the beach all day. I can’t wait to go again.