She Said, He Said: Meet Lauren & Tokyo

We always love hearing what our readers have to say, but who knew we could be in the happy position of hearing you guys sing as well! A few weeks ago, 20-year-old Ontario ModCloth fan Lauren Campbell sent some of the music she’s recorded for her indie pop duo, Lauren & Tokyo, and we thought it was so lovely that we just had to share!

Lauren & Tokyo started from an act of goodwill; one of her fellow music program classmates, David, was working on a song, and Lauren just happened to be there when he needed help with the chords and timing. The two Fanshawe College students started writing songs together, David adopted the inside-joke-turned-stage-name Tokyo, and within months the two recorded an EP (in their school’s music labs!).

“Primarily, Tokyo is more the lyric writer and I’m more the melody maker,” Lauren says. Many of their songs revolve around love, but “they’re open to interpretation. We want people to take away their own meanings and messages from the songs.”

As for their hopes for their eponymous EP, Lauren says they “just really want our songs to be heard and for people to get them stuck in their heads and hum them when they’re out and about. It would be amazing to one day be able to hop in a vintage VW minibus and tour the continent playing shows to eager ears. That’s what I want to do at least. Fingers crossed!”

Listen and download Lauren & Tokyo’s songs for free at their MySpace!

P.S. We’re all for supporting young, up-and-coming musicians, so if you know of anyone who would be great for ModLife, let us know in the comments or via e-mail at blog@modcloth.com!

7 Responses to She Said, He Said: Meet Lauren & Tokyo

1. sharon 06/29/2010 at 12:15 pm #

i’ve got Lighthouse on repeat. love it!

• Tokyo 10/16/2010 at 6:12 pm #

Hey, glad you love it! We got a new tune coming out real soon! Can we email you it when it comes out? We’re gosh darn excited :)

-T

2. Hannah (ModCloth) 06/29/2010 at 2:36 pm #

Listening to this as I write this comment – way to go, Lauren & Toyko; this sounds great!

3. Laura 06/30/2010 at 8:10 am #

Awww, I’d love to listen to them, but for some reason the sound on my computer isn’t working at the moment :( Sad!

Anyway, please, please check out two of my favorites: Timbre and the Soil & the Sun. The guys in tS&tS are friends of mine, and they’re absolutely terrific. Timbre is a friend of theirs, and her music is so lovely and ethereal I have to recommend her everywhere I go. They’re about to go on a little tour together, too, so I’d love it if you’d give them a listen :) http://www.myspace.com/genderagename

4. Janette 07/01/2010 at 1:53 am #

I loved this! Downloaded them all. Thanks for sharing.

5. Lisa 07/05/2010 at 10:15 pm #

Lauren & Toyko sound good to me.

6. Bethany 07/11/2010 at 9:37 am #

I just went to their Myspace and had a listen. I’ve been really into indie pop lately, so I love their sound.