Great Scot! A City Full of Fun

With its castle on a hill, twisting old buildings, surrounding rocky crags, and edge of sparkling wharf, Edinburgh is a traveling hot-‘Scot.’ After checking into your lodging and taking an early morning walk up the sun-washed hills bordering the city, check out these terrific to dos:

1. Take a sprinkling of music performances, a handful of workshops ranging from Gaelic instruction to dance lessons, some coffee, a helping of vegetarian food, and a free goods exchange market, shake it up, and you’ll have the Forest Cafe. This volunteer-run eclecticism will dine you, coffee you, and amuse you for all you’re worth.

2. Remember Dolly, the cloned sheep? Fancy paying her a ‘bleeting’ visit? Well, you can, at the National Museum of Scotland. After your ‘sheepish’ hello, dance off the explore the rest of this marvelous museum, where you can dress up like old time Scots and interactively learn about the history of the handsome country it calls home!

3. Strap on your walking shoes, and get ready to learning scads of interesting things about your surroundings. The well-liked, amusingly informative, and free SANDEMANs Edinburgh Tour will give you an understanding of the city so profound, it’s enough to make you break out into ceilidh dancing.

4. The Bethany Shop & Cafe understands that thrifting can be an intense venture. That’s why they’ve outfitted their charity shop with a cute l’il cafe. Browse this shop’s racks for funky gems, and when you’re feeling beat, sit down for a drop o’ tea and a tasty homemade sweet!

5. Edinburgh’s  Fringe Festival deserves its celebrated reputation. This arts, music, literature, and culture extravaganza is beyond explanation. The only way to get a grasp on it is to attend some of its events yourself! From August 6 – 30, eat as large a hunk of participation pie as your can manage, by attending anything from roller derbies, to lectures, to operas and exhibitions.

Ever trod the trails of Edinburgh? What did you do?

10 Responses to Great Scot! A City Full of Fun

1. Elise 07/13/2010 at 11:55 am #

The Elephant Cafe is a fun little cafe near Greyfriars’ Kirk. It’s allegedly one of the places where J.K. Rowling wrote the first few Harry Potter books.

2. Elise 07/13/2010 at 11:56 am #

Ahh, it’s the Elephant House.

3. Molly 07/13/2010 at 12:39 pm #

I live in Edinburgh! I’m a student at the University! It’s my favorite city in the world. Grassmarket has some of the best pubs with both locals and travelers.

“This is a city of shifting light, of changing skies, of sudden vistas. A city so beautiful it breaks the heart again and again.”

4. Char 07/13/2010 at 12:58 pm #

I would definitely recommend the Metropole Cafe, they have delish hot chocolate and mochas and free wi-fi with any purchase! I went during the Fringe Festival and it was brilliant! So many shows and performances going on everywhere! I also recommend seeing the Holyrood Palace. If I remember right it’s where the Queen of England stays when she visits Scotland. Another MUST when in the city is to book tickets for the Scottish Tattoo, very worth the ticket price and a great night to spend with friends.

5. Susan 07/13/2010 at 7:29 pm #

I just got back from Edinburgh in May after spending a semester there. Gotta admit, it’s one of the most fashion conscious cities I’ve ever been too. And you ALWAYS have to layer up, so if you intend on wearing that outfit, bring a jacket, too! Edinburgh also has amazing thrift and vintage stores. Armstrong’s and Trouve always had the neatest stuff! Besides clothing stores, though, some of my favourite places were Miller’s Sandwich and Coffee Bar, Choco Latte, Chocolate Soup, and Dynamic Earth.

6. Mandy (ModCloth) 07/14/2010 at 12:05 pm #

Oh I miss Edinburgh. Great post! :-D

7. nina 07/16/2010 at 12:04 am #

I spent a semester there! Fantastic city. I really enjoyed the Grassmarket pubs. But the best part is definitely all the little winding streets, or “closes” and the surprises you see at the end of them. I’d turn a corner and gaze up at the castle. One of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been, and I’m currently trying to find a way back!

8. Cutiecream 07/19/2010 at 1:44 am #

I have just spent few days for highland trip and Edinburgh around Apr as a short trip as my last stopping is London It’s marvellous!! I can sure that I will be back there again and again!

9. mellen 07/19/2010 at 5:08 am #

hmmm-mmm! my favs of cities! I love… the people; the train station; shopping – there’s the greatest selection of indie chic shops on the road winding around underneath Edinborough Castle; pub-hopping; the Walter Scott museum; sitting on the wall by the Tower; touristy, I know, but what can you do? it’s beautiful.

10. ishia 12/19/2010 at 9:21 pm #

I am qoinq to qo buy the same clothes nd rock this outfitt !