The Sketchbook Project

Always drawing in your notebooks? Join the club. Or, rather, join The Sketchbook Project, a traveling art exhibit that will showcase thousands of submitted sketchbooks in galleries and museums across the country, before cataloging them in the Brooklyn Art Library’s permanent collection. Like all library books, each sketchbook receives a barcode, so artists can view real-time statistics about their books’ activity and perusal long after the tour.

To get your sketchbooks on tour, go to the Sketchbook Project’s website, pick a theme (choices include “Help” and “It will be fun, I swear”) by the October 31 sign-up deadline, order one of the Project’s blank sketchbooks, and then send back your masterpiece!

Already six thousand people have signed up for this year’s tour, and I plan on being one of them! What about you? Let us know!

About Jenn

Jenn's first career aspiration was to be a dinosaur. After her kindergarten teacher informed her that couldn't happen, she decided she would be the next best thing: a writer. Aside from writing, Jenn loves chambray shirts, all cacti, and good typography.

13 Responses to The Sketchbook Project

1. veronica 07/14/2010 at 9:20 pm #

i am so totally going to do this if my mother lets me!

2. Bluus 07/14/2010 at 11:35 pm #

That’s kinda cool but I dare say I’d rather keep my sketchbooks to myself for the moment…all my sketches have to do with either my WIP comic or my clients’ projects

3. me 07/15/2010 at 12:50 pm #

bah! i would but i would rather spend my $25 elsewhere… amazing idea however

4. Kassie 07/15/2010 at 11:26 pm #

i’m gonna sign up when i get paid. i love drawing!

5. Charlene 07/16/2010 at 11:53 pm #

Yes, I really want a shirt too but don’t know if I’m willing to spend $45…

6. Elizabeth 07/17/2010 at 10:19 pm #

I signed up for everything – the sketchbook, the shirt, even the digitizing! I know it’s money well-spent, and now I’m terribly excited.

7. Amanda :) 07/20/2010 at 12:06 pm #

I think I am going to do it all. Butttt. . . I like to keep my sketchbooks, so I am making one specifically for this & keeping the rest. :)

8. Jessica 07/20/2010 at 5:05 pm #

I’m signing up right now!! It’s good to put my sketching to the test before I head off to art school.

9. Jenn (ModCloth) 07/20/2010 at 6:58 pm #

So excited to hear some of you are signing up as well! I just found out that one of our interaction designers is signing up too, so we’ll be on the lookout for your names! :)

10. Renee 07/20/2010 at 8:02 pm #

I’ve signed up! It will be my first time sketching in a while… The outcome will be interesting.

11. Netta (ModCloth) 07/27/2010 at 8:30 pm #

I just signed up! Took me about a week to nail down a theme, I chose “It will be fun, I swear”. I also opted for digitizing, and a t-shirt. Now, to gather inspiration as I wait for the book!

12. veronica 08/14/2010 at 6:54 pm #

I have finally signed up! i chose the “a day in life” theme!

13. Maria 11/16/2010 at 6:18 pm #