Style, from the Other Side of the World

Australian Style Blogger Autilia

Photo: Autilia

Summer’s out full force here in Pittsburgh, and when you spend the mornings slathering on sunscreen and the evenings standing in front of your open fridge, it’s easy to forget it’s winter elsewhere. So here’s a shout-out to all our Southern Hemisphere readers!

Today’s Seen Style comes from Perth, Australia, where fashion blogger Autilia mixed textures by pairing this year’s It accessories – a straw hat and leather sandals – with seafaring stripes, a cropped lace jacket, and a wispy, caramel-colored scarf.

For those of you currently knee-deep in winter, what’s the weather usually like, and what do you wear?

, , , , , ,

23 Responses to Style, from the Other Side of the World

1. Robyn 07/22/2010 at 11:32 am #

Amazingly styled. I would wear every piece, head to toe.

2. steph 07/22/2010 at 12:42 pm #

she’s done a really excellent job!

3. Jessica M. 07/22/2010 at 2:35 pm #

amazing…..the tops not really my style, but I love everything else……I’m a big fan of hats/ socks :D

4. Kate 07/22/2010 at 6:33 pm #

I’m in Australia, in Canberra, and it’s a huge temperature difference to summer (our forecast temp range for today being -3 – 12). So winter fashion is very relevant here. I wish I could consider something as lightweight as Autilia’s cute outfit!

5. Olivia 07/22/2010 at 7:16 pm #

I must say, i’m in Perth too, and for us…it’s COLD. Some nights as low as 0c (and some places around the country below).

6. Trishna 07/22/2010 at 8:31 pm #

She is looking so gorgeous with this outfit on. Every single piece is spot on. Thanks for sharing this Jenn. It is an excellent addition to my reader list. :)

7. cait 07/22/2010 at 9:27 pm #

I’m also a Perth girl. It is COLD here at the moment. It has definitely warmed up, but a couple of weeks ago it was bitterly cold.
    Oh, and great outfit, but not very inspirational for anyone that isn’t tiny.

8. Emily 07/22/2010 at 10:11 pm #

I am also from Perth! I am a larger size to Autilia so I tend to go with not quite so short skirts, but my favourite outfit for a Perth winter is black or patterned tights, black boots, one of my fabulous vintage dresses or my vintage playsuit and my Modcloth Conspicious Leisure Jacket thrown over the top. Add a knitted scarf for the really cold days.

9. Kit 07/23/2010 at 1:25 am #

Though I’m not from Perth (I’m a queenslander), this seems a little underdressed for this time of year…I thought it got cold there!!
    I love the country side! The deep red soil and the treeless flat, it takes me back to when I was a little girl…

10. leandra 07/23/2010 at 2:40 am #

Is it just me or does she look a lot like Kaley Cuoco from The Big Bang Theory? Anyways, I love this outfit, especially the hat.

11. Lulu 07/23/2010 at 3:50 am #

i reeeeally like that outfit!!!

12. Eleanor 07/23/2010 at 5:08 am #

I’m a southern hemisphere girl – New Zealand, specifically :)

It’s freezing here at the moment so I’m layering dresses with wool tops, tights, thick cardigans, boots, scarves… and wearing my wool coat pretty much every day on top. (As you can see on my blog!) I love winter fashion so much.

She looks gorgeous but I’m saving my over the knee socks for summer time!

x

13. Steph 07/23/2010 at 5:13 am #

Naw, really cute outfit and what a pretty lady she is too! We make them good here!
    Perth is apparently having crazy weather at the moment. I’m on the other side of the country in Melbourne and it is miserable. I’ve been wearing pants with wooly knee high socks underneath, singlet, top, cardie/jumper, and jacket, scarf and hat. I’m dying for some wellies so I can jump in all those awesome puddles!
    13 degrees celsius probably isn’t that cold by northern standards though.

14. Sarah 07/23/2010 at 4:03 pm #

Wow… so cute and original. What I also like about her blog is how unassuming and easy to read it is. The pics on her blog are gorgeous. Good find, ModLife!

15. Grace 07/25/2010 at 11:23 pm #

Wow what a great style, I’m definitely going to have a look at her blog.
    I’m in NSW Australia and it’s definitely a lot colder here than in perth. That bit of leg she’s showing without stockings would be crazy here!
    I go for the beanies, coats and scarves look, which is less of a look and more of a necessity.

16. Deborah 07/26/2010 at 3:06 am #

I’m in Melbourne, and although I love her outfit, I really can’t imagine myself wearing something so lightweight at the moment. All I have worn for the past two months is wooly jumpers, coats, scarves, jeans and shorts and tights, paired with almost no bare skin at all.

17. lubna 07/26/2010 at 5:37 am #

she looks fantastic!

18. Tiffany 07/26/2010 at 8:39 pm #

I love this look!

19. leah 07/27/2010 at 6:03 am #

Wow so many perth girls here! she’s not in perth, there, she’s in karratha, which is basically tropical in its weather – wet season and dry season, it’s so far north.
    i’ve been really appreciating the way i learned to layer and wear tights from the year i spent in england the last few weeks, but it’s already starting to warm up again!

20. Maddi 07/27/2010 at 12:17 pm #

Love love this look! But I’m a huge fan of the knee sock.

21. Meghan 07/30/2010 at 4:22 pm #

Adorable look & blog. Thanks for sharing!! I love being an arm-chair fashion spy!

22. Guyomar 10/16/2010 at 10:33 pm #

This outfit looks very pulled-together while still being extremely original. She also has PERFECT legs for that short skrit and over-the-knee socks. I am envious.

23. Neon Threads Clothing 01/13/2011 at 4:27 am #

Cute cropped jacket and knee socks!