Hey, Bibliophiles! We Need Your Help!

We’re firm believers that you can learn a lot about someone just by looking at their closets – and their bookshelves. So, let us know what types of books you’d like to see discussed on ModCloth! Fiction? Travel? Graphic novels? Fashion histories? Memoirs?

Leave your suggestions in the comments, or at our awesome GoodReads group (which is also a great place to find out what your fellow shoppers are reading)! We’ll be diligently taking notes for future book orders and Book of the Month contests!

24 Responses to Hey, Bibliophiles! We Need Your Help!

1. Jess 08/19/2010 at 3:35 pm #

Fashion histories, most definitely.

2. Jean 08/19/2010 at 3:49 pm #

“Reading Lolita in Tehran” I think there could be a good discussion about the influence literature and the arts have on culture. PLUS…modcloth promotes expressing your individuality and also posts about feminism. The women in the novel live in a society that forces them to repress nearly everything. It just seems like a good topic for modcloth readers.

3. Erin D 08/19/2010 at 4:25 pm #

I know its an oldie but Pride and Prejdice is awesome. I also love the play “Cyrano de Bergerac” by Edmond Rostrand. It is beautiful… my favorite love story. Its also funny!

4. Jodi Mucha 08/19/2010 at 5:52 pm #

I would love to find out about fashion photography books since I take my own photos.

5. Cate 08/19/2010 at 9:55 pm #

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and corresponding sequels. They’re planning an American film adaption soon, and talking about the book would definitely build hype for the movie.
    Also The Perks of Being a Wallflower and some travel memoirs would be nice.

6. Amanda L. 08/19/2010 at 10:16 pm #

Anything written by Klosterman or John Swartzwelder!

7. Meg 08/19/2010 at 11:15 pm #

Fantasy! Science fiction! Anything by Neil Gaiman!

8. Lauren 08/20/2010 at 1:03 am #

I agree with science fiction! Or Haruki Murakami!

9. Kate 08/20/2010 at 12:11 pm #

Huge bibliophile here! I think quirky vintage and retro themed books work best with the vibe of your site. It would be extra cute if you included classics from the typical mod eras that your fashions are inspired by, IE ’40s, ’50s and ’60s lit. Science faction, fantasy, and mainstream lit fiction, while all good things (I never met a book I didn’t like at least a little!) are sort of too broad and clash with the idea of “indie” which means to me a more rare or unique and not “bestseller.” I like seeing “finds” rather than things I see on the front page of Amazon/goodreads/whatever.

Graphic novels and fashion histories are kind of boring to me, honestly, unless they’re also retro-themed or cult classics.

Some ideas: “I Love It When You Talk Retro” by Ralph Keyes
    “Slanted and Enchanted, the Evolution of Indie Culture” by Kaya Oakes
    “Wesley the Owl, The Remarkable Love Story of an Owl and his Girl” by Stacey O’Brian
    “Passive Aggressive Notes” by Kerry Miller
    “How Did You Get This Number” and “I Was Told There’d Be Cake” by Sloane Crosley

10. Lili Tree Hiccup 08/20/2010 at 2:51 pm #

I read the entire “Series of Unfortunate Events” and they’re perfect. I laughed, I cried and I smiled.

11. Katharine Ellis Tapley 08/20/2010 at 8:42 pm #

Hey ModCloth People? If I buy a copy of my friend’s short story collection and send it to your offices, would you read it, and if you like it, would you review it on GoodReads? She’s written a wonderful book of short fiction, and I try to get press for her whenever I can (she self published). She started checking out ModCloth because I directed her to it (from telling her about all the pretty dresses) and she loves the site as well.

I just thought it would be great press for her, and it would be the kind of thing I think ModClothers would like.

12. Anna 08/20/2010 at 8:56 pm #

Memoirs! If they exist, I think that fashion memoirs would be awesome and highly appropriate. That said, I think all memoirs would be great!

13. Alice 08/21/2010 at 6:45 pm #

Short story anthologies are excellent. There’s something in them for everyone.

14. Dima 08/22/2010 at 2:30 pm #

A book I finished recently (One Day) by David Nicholls,a sweet one week read light romance.Some classical fiction,anything that takes place in 1920’s till 40’s,Art bios,Decor & interior design coffee table books,vintage magazines,unique cooking&recipe books..hmmm maybe some comics too :)

15. Lucy 08/23/2010 at 12:39 am #

What about classics? There’s nothing quite so sophisticated as reading Jane Eyre, The Great Gatsby, or Picture of Dorian Grey. Plus, Penguin Classics has some amazing editions out right now. They are so chic!

16. mellen 08/23/2010 at 3:32 am #

new fiction! I would love a place to find tips for the best and brightest of new lit! children’s fiction would be superfun too – even storybooks!
    the sweetness at the bottom of the pie (alan bradley) for starters…

17. Kate 08/23/2010 at 6:07 pm #

Well, I’m a lit major. Throw in some Dostoevsky or Camus and I’ll start a conversation.

18. becca boo 08/24/2010 at 1:59 am #

Writers like Amy Hempel or Chuck Palahnuik

19. jillian 08/26/2010 at 2:31 am #

Visit my blog devoted entirely to books! randombookishramblings.blogspot.com

I highly recommend Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky, The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield, and The Book Thief by Markus Zusak! :)

20. Rachel 08/27/2010 at 11:29 pm #

Def some SciFi and let’s shake off this girly stereotype and review some of the hard scifi (thats a genre not a rating on difficulty). Pull out the classics! And if we don’t need further proof that girls love SciFi too, how about Ursula K Le Guin or C J Cherryh ! (don’t think i don’t know you guys like it, i bought that Stillsuit coat last year!)

21. chelsea 08/29/2010 at 11:18 pm #

My very favorite book that I have read recently was a memoir called “Time was Soft There: a Paris Sojourn at Shakespeare & Co.” by Jeremy Mercer. It was the perfect book for.. book lovers, really. A beautiful, luscious and lovely book about a beautiful bookstore.

22. C 08/30/2010 at 9:21 am #

Fiction and graphic novels are good, but I am curious about travel books.

23. Kelly-Ann 09/04/2010 at 5:08 pm #

I loved reading & rereading Memoires of a Geisha && The Other Boleyn Girl & also A map of the world by Jane Hamilton <3

24. Angelia Simeti 09/05/2010 at 2:08 am #

The Hunger Games Trilogy. Reasons being? The protaganist is a strong, self-sufficent female character with notable and acknowledged flaws. Also, the last book of the series just came out on August 24th, and it’s brilliant.