Have we got a surprise for you! Soon, you’ll be able to view ModCloth’s first ever video Stylebook! To celebrate this upcoming occasion, we want to give you just a taste of what’s to come. The tasty quiche above, from a homemade recipe by Fashion Writer Angela, takes a supporting role in the film. Until our first video Stylebook is revealed, why not try a slice of ModCloth history?
‘Modshroom’ Leek Quiche with Whole Wheat Crust
Serves about 8. Prep time: 30 minutes. Bake time: 45 minutes.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms, any kind (We used button mushrooms)
- 1 chopped leek
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3 – 4 tablespoons cold water
- Preheat oven at 350°F. Meanwhile, sauté the chopped mushrooms and leek with olive oil until slightly softened. Remove from heat. Sautéing will extract moisture from the mushrooms that should be drained. Let sautéd mixture cool to room temperature. Speed up that process by placing it in the fridge.
- As the veggies and fungi cool, prepare the crust. Combine flour and butter with a pastry cutter or whisk until mixture is of pea-sized crumbles. Add water one tablespoon at a time, kneading the forming dough as you go. Once all the flour is saturated and you can form the dough into a ball (should be about the size of an apple), place it in the refrigerator until needed. Chilling the dough will make it easier to work with later.
- Beat together eggs, cream, cheese, and cooled mushroom and leeks. Set aside.
- After dusting your clean counter top with flour, roll out dough into a thin, flat round. Carefully place the dough in your greased pie dish. It helps if you roll the dough onto the rolling pin and lifting it onto the dish, rather than using your hands to lift it. You should have some extra dough hanging over the side of the dish. Fold it in or use it to patch up any cracks in the dough.
- Poke holes in dough with a fork to support air flow while baking. Add egg mixture. Place in oven and bake for 45 minutes, or until top is light golden brown.
After your quiche cools, slice and serve with an English Muffin and coffee, as shown above. You can also enjoy this for lunch with a field greens salad and shallot vinaigrette dressing!
- For a lower fat version, substitute cream with 1/2 cup of 2% or skim milk and swipe the butter for vegetable shortening.
- For a vegan quiche, try a filling with 1 cup of pressed and crumbled firm tofu, 1/2 cup of soy milk, 1/4 cup margarine, and soy cheese. Use vegetable shortening for the crust instead of butter.
So, any guesses as to what type of Stylebook we’re cooking up here at ModCloth?