Blogger of the Moment: Doe Deere

We were lucky enough to pay a visit to Xenia of the blog Doe Deere in her Brooklyn abode,  and when you first set foot in her “Unicorn House,” you can tell she’s devoted to her amazing aesthetic. Cotton candy colors envelop the rooms in soothing washes of pale purple and pink, and a unicorn gallops up the staircase.  I felt like I could break off a piece of the lavender hued banister and let it melt in my mouth like a Sweet Tart. Xenia and her husband were similarly decked out in yummy colors that were straight from a fairy princess land. For our photoshoot, she  slipped on a vintage frock and struck a pose on her plush sofa surrounded by her collection of stuffed bunnies and kitties. Find out more about Xenia by reading her interview and perusing her picks. Plus, check out the first-ever Blogger of the Moment namesake heels!

What inspires your sense of style?
Unicorns and anything fantastical.

What style blogs do you follow?

The Cherry Blossom Girl and Drooling Isn’t Pretty.

When you’re not blogging, what are your other hobbies?
Experimenting with makeup and concocting new colors!

You have your own line of makeup, Lime Crime
any tips for girls wanting to start their own business?
Blind faith helps. Believe in what you do, don’t let anyone get in the way of your vision. Try a billion different things until you find one that sticks.

Which actress would you pick to play you in the movie of your life?

Based on looks, Kirsten Dunst – I’m always told we look alike, especially when she had red hair in the Spider-Man movies.

If you could have dinner with anyone, living or dead, who would it be and what would you eat?
Andy Warhol. Banana.

What would your dream date be like?
A day volunteering at a pet rescue. The best way to see how compassionate the person is!

What’s one crazy thing you’ve always wanted to do but never had the guts to?

Dye my hair an unnatural color! I can’t wait ’til I become an old lady, then my hair can finally be that perfect powder-blue I’ve always dreamed of…

For a full tour of the Unicorn House, take a trip to Doe Deere’s blog!

Do you have any secret dreams for the future?
Not so secret. I’d like for Lime Crime Makeup to produce more cruelty-free and vegan makeup and eventually launch at Sephora, my favorite makeup store. Opening a no-kill animal charity is also on the list – I love to help furry critters.

Who’s our next Blogger of the Moment? Help us choose! If there’s a blogger you love that you think should be Blogger of the Moment, leave us a link to their site in the comments below!

54 Responses to Blogger of the Moment: Doe Deere

1. Mandy (ModCloth) 09/22/2010 at 4:16 pm #

Awwww she is so cute! Love her picks too! So feminine and classic! <3

2. Sarita 09/22/2010 at 6:14 pm #

Love her make-up line, love her sense of whimsy and love that she loves animals so much!

3. jodi 09/22/2010 at 8:39 pm #

I’ve been following her for YEARS – since she had diy clothes up on ebay! A fave for sure. Glad to see her featured!

4. Kaitlyn McCall 09/22/2010 at 9:08 pm #

First time I’ve heard of her! She is adorable, great style and so unique. I’ll definitely be sure to check out her blog!!

Being such a lover of the fashion industry I created a blog as an outlet for my passions: style, beauty, health, inspiration, and design. I’d LOVE if you browsed my blog -TheUrbanFlamingo! To be a featured Blogger of the Moment would honestly be a honor.

I also have a giveaway going on at the moment so fashion lovers stop over and enter while you can! : )

KaitlynMcCall

5. Mable 09/22/2010 at 11:42 pm #

She is an absolute doll! I’ve never heard of her before, but now I can’t get enough of her posts! Thank you for sharing!

I’d like to recommend Amber Rose (modestjune.com). She posts outfit pictures but also talks about real stuff, difficult topics, and shares her world with her readers.
    I did win a dress from her too, but that’s not why I’m recomending her:) lol

• Amber Rose 09/30/2010 at 1:11 am #

You are so sweet dearie!
      If you email me pictures of yourself in the dress, I’ll post them on my blog! <3

6. Kenzie 09/23/2010 at 4:52 pm #

Ohhh, ModCloth. I trusted you more than to act on ‘blind faith’ alone. Why? Why her, when there’s so many, much more deserving girls than her? You know what Google gives you as drop-down options when typing in ‘Lime Crime’? Try it. In the meantime: http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Doe_Deere

• Anonomous 11/04/2010 at 6:49 pm #

Clearly you have never even bothered to look at the commenting guidelines. Comments containing spam are barred. Modcloth, if I were you I would stop the comment service so spam will no longer be posted. Yes, Encyclopedia Dramatica IS spam

7. jodi 09/23/2010 at 9:38 pm #

interesting!

8. vicki 09/24/2010 at 8:14 am #

oh my just read that article listed by Kenzie! is all that stuff really true!? dear goodness.. if this is true and you can never believe everything you read on the internet I wouldnt have thought she was appropraite for a modcloth blogger of the moment..

9. christine 09/24/2010 at 12:32 pm #

I’m also very disappointed with this choice for modcloth’s blogger of the moment. Disgraceful.

10. Jessica 09/24/2010 at 1:39 pm #

She doesn’t really appeal to me, shes a little too out there, like the saucer people out in Carson. I like lulu and your mom you should check her out, i loved blushing ambition and stylish wander and the clothes horse. my four favs.

11. Annie 09/24/2010 at 3:06 pm #

Hey there,

It seems there’s some controversy about the Blogger of the Moment pick. If you want a truly down-to-earth girl with inspiring style, please pick Starr of athoughtistheblossom.blogspot.com. If anyone deserves to be Modcloth Blogger of the Moment, it’s her! Keep up the hard work!

12. Jenny Z. 09/24/2010 at 7:57 pm #

What a funny choice! Doe Deere f’realz once asked people to donate money to a homeless shelter that didn’t exist and then I think she took the $$$ and went on her honeymoon. It would have been hilarious if it wasn’t all egregiously messed up that she pretended it was for a homeless shelter! But her megalomania is kind of fascinating?

I agree with Annie! For less insanity and more beauty and creativity, you should pick Starr from athoughtistheblossom.blogspot.com. She’s the greatest!

• Jessica 09/25/2010 at 2:25 pm #

I checked out the blog and you are right its great she is really down to earth, enjoyed reading her post.

• Lee 09/28/2010 at 2:46 am #

Hey, the shelter that she promised us to send the donation was for the animals, not for the homeless people. But it was true that she collected the money and didn’t show any proof of the donation and deleted the whole post.

13. Tender 09/25/2010 at 3:59 am #

Modcloth, I love you but you’ve disappointed me so much with this feature. Doe Deere is not the sweet girl she seems to be, she has a long history of lying to her customers about their products and other nasty things. I’m so sorry I was ever taken in by her. As for the animal shelter story, it’s true. I was there when it happened- she took a lot of money from her followers and when they asked what shelter it was going to, she couldn’t come up with a name and deleted all her posts about it. Her Paypal account got shut down after they realised what she was doing, and then she came back with a new name, new persona and a new bag of scams a year later! Do not trust her! The way she still claims to be an animal lover after stealing from that charity is disgusting.

14. april 09/25/2010 at 11:08 pm #

oh my gawd, i’m in love. how adorable.
    i love that little green dress.. and the antlers.

15. Amber Rose 09/26/2010 at 1:15 am #

I know that there have been a lot of extremities (both positive and negative), so I did some powerful Google-ing. Drumroll.

Anyhow, I found a report on (one of) the incident(s).

Hopefully more research can be done before choosing a blogger of the moment..

PS: http://www.modestjune.com
    (What kind of blogger would I be if I didn’t include at a bit of shameless self-promotion?)

• jessica 09/27/2010 at 5:30 pm #

Great blog! You have gorgeous eyes. The article was really interesting to read.

• Amber Rose 09/28/2010 at 6:18 pm #

Thank you so much! :)

16. Caroline 09/26/2010 at 5:14 am #

I love her style and awesome videos,music etc!

17. Caroline 09/26/2010 at 5:15 am #

Forgot to post the link :’)

18. Plummy 09/26/2010 at 12:14 pm #

Very disappointing choice…I have been following Doe Deere for about a year now, initially as an awed fan, then as a disillusioned and disappointed realist. It is pretty much common knowledge at this point what kind of scams she does, and while her aesthetic can be very inspiring, she definitely shouldn’t be featured here.

19. Hadley 09/26/2010 at 8:45 pm #

Oh, please! Stuff it, haters! She rocks! I squealed when I saw this! I am an extremely avid reader of her blog! Yaaay Doe! And of course yaaaaay Modcloth!!!!!!!!!

20. madelaine 09/26/2010 at 8:47 pm #

modcloth you need to say something…

• jessica 09/27/2010 at 5:32 pm #

I agree modcloth you need to do something about this.

21. Doe Deere 09/27/2010 at 10:35 am #

Hi guys! First let me express how excited I am to be ModCloth’s Blogger of the Month – it’s a true honor! Regarding some negative comments – I’m sorry that you feel that way, but you are wrong about me. Many issues brought up I have addressed in the past via my blog, Formspring, etc. Those who still have questions are welcome to email me at doedeere@gmail.com, I’d be happy to answer them! xo

22. Remy 09/27/2010 at 2:09 pm #

Hi Doe. Might I say that your tone on this comment is very different from this Tweet you posted today:

“People who talk sh*t about me online: just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy steamrolling over you. With pleasure. ”

It’s just funny on here how you’re very sweet and offering to help put things right with your unhappy customers, when on Twitter your tone is horrible. As for having already answered the concerns raised on here, you have yet to give a single satisfactory response to anything raised against you, which just makes you look worse- especially when you keep throwing other people under the bus to make yourself look better. This is why the drama surrounding you and your company is so widespread. Have you been reading? These people used to be your customers, Being so hateful to them only makes YOU look worse. And you sure are lucky that these few issues have been raised about you. We both know you’ve pulled far more stunts in your time than have been mentioned.

• Mery 08/23/2013 at 8:34 am #

@Remy – Suuuuper late to the party here, but remy – I love you for this.

23. Jessica J 09/27/2010 at 2:11 pm #

She’s just a sorry rip-off of Amy/Shrinkle of Sugarpill. She’s an undeserving thief who clawed her way to the spotlight by stepping on a lot of toes.

24. Tilly 09/27/2010 at 2:56 pm #

Doe you might think you are fooling the people commenting on this article with your super sweet comment but that tweet you posted shows what you’re really like!

25. Roxy 09/27/2010 at 6:54 pm #

It’s amazing what people are willing to ignore simply because the person behind a company is conventionally attractive.

26. AIM 09/28/2010 at 12:17 am #

Dear ModCloth, why you didn’t do simple background check before choosing this shady person as a blogger of the month. What a shame. She has been surrounded by bad reputations &dramas for years. As someone here mentioned here already, she asked her fans to send her money and promised to donate all the money to local animal shelter in 2007

Here is the post made by HERSELF(yes, it really happened)
    community.livejournal.com/littlebiggirls/2793379.html

But later she claimed she donated the money to The Brooklyn Shelter that DOESN’T exist. Some of people have been asking her the name of the shelter for years but she has been dancing around the questions like “I don’t want to answer here, give me an email” “You have no idea how much I want to release the name of the shelter, but if I did it, they would get uncivilized phone calls” and NEVER gave us straight answers.

Doe, if you don’t want to be called a scammer anymore, please tell us the name of the shelter, nobody would harass animal shelter.

27. Anna 09/28/2010 at 2:21 am #

What a joke. This woman is a known scam artist and repeatedly lies about her products (eg when she used to try to claim they were vegan). It’s very disappointing to see her featured here.

28. Anna 09/28/2010 at 2:23 am #

OH, and she also tried to get her “fans” to spam temptalia’s personal email when she got a less than favourable review from her, and threatened another reviewer with legal action for giving her a less than glowing review! She’s quite the nasty piece of work.

• Emily 09/28/2010 at 11:23 am #

Worse than that even, when people later called her out on that she claimed Temptalia’s review was not objective, basically claiming that Christine was biased or had been bribed to give her a bad review. Which is rediculous, especially considering the sheer number of people who have complained they find Lime Crime lipsticks drying, staining and generally poor quality.

29. Sheena 09/28/2010 at 3:45 am #

i second Roxy’s thoughts…

30. Lana 09/30/2010 at 8:38 pm #

now, why would they allow ‘a scam artist’ be blogger of the moment.
    Because she’s real, and an amazing person. I’ve met her twice, and she’s a lot of fun.

• Emily 10/01/2010 at 9:30 am #

Well it’s great that she was lovely to you. A lot of other people have found her to be cold in real life. In any case she IS a scam artist. There’s proof all over the internet. In the part she has sold faulty goods, lied about goods (her repackaged eyeshadows, selling childs dollar sunglasses as adult sized etc.) and sold people raffle tickets claiming the money was for an animal shelter. When asked what shelter she firstly deleted all comments, then said she hadn’t decided which shelter (though she was already taking the money) and finally said it was for ‘The Brooklyn Shelter’ which does not exist.
      The reason Modcloth would allow it? They either didn’t know or just don’t care.

31. AIM 10/01/2010 at 4:12 am #

To Lana

Because she is good at self promotion and sometime people are fooled by her easily. In fact a lot of internet celebrities had became friends with her and left her because they felt she WASN’T real. Here is the list of her ex friends; Shrinkle, Supayana, Johanna Ost, Poppy King, Gala Darling, Audrey Kitching, Xsparkage, Jessica Harlow etc

Please go to the linked pages below.

A summary of Xenia’s shady history;

You should know what has she done to her old friend;

32. KL 10/01/2010 at 12:02 pm #

Very disappointing that ModCloth would promote such a known scam artist. Definitely makes me consider whether or not to order from you in the future :(

33. ModCloth 10/01/2010 at 4:42 pm #

Hi, everyone!

We sincerely apologize for disappointing anyone with our latest selection for Blogger of the Moment. When we pick blogs to highlight, we look for women who inspire us with their amazing style. We were impressed with Doe Deere’s unique aesthetic, and simply wanted to share it with all of you. We appreciate all your feedback and concern, and have taken it to heart.

Thanks so much!

34. PaintHead 10/06/2010 at 4:18 pm #

You would love my blog. It’s Full of color, life, sparkle and best of all, i never copy anyone’s blog. I like to post about random stuff, life, art, fashion and polyvore. Anyhow hope you will visit my blog..oxoxo

PaintHead.

• Jane 10/07/2010 at 12:52 am #

Are you joking?

35. mara 10/19/2010 at 7:21 pm #

yay! i can’t believe she linked my blog, thanks!!!

36. Sarah 11/01/2010 at 10:07 am #

I just discovered this blog: stylebouquet.blogspot.com
    I love the way she mixes and matches colors. She also writes about the pieces she wears and has a sense of humour about it.

37. Samantha 11/05/2010 at 2:22 pm #

You should do a feature on natalie perkins, MORE BODY DIVERSITY
    here is her website.

38. mirundap 11/06/2010 at 6:39 pm #

Neat

39. Natalie 11/12/2010 at 4:24 pm #

I love Claire of The Fashion Bomb

40. RachelC 12/06/2010 at 9:19 pm #

LOVE this blog! :)

41. Surprised 04/08/2011 at 8:57 am #

I love Modcloth, but wow – Doe Deere? REALLY? She’s probably one of the sneakiest, most vile people on the planet – look her up.

42. Jennifer 06/17/2011 at 9:25 pm #

Funny how this works, since you decided to start selling her stuff.

For SHAME, Modcloth!

43. Malina Del Nor 04/02/2012 at 11:38 pm #

I fully supported ModCloth until I saw you were promoting Xenia Vorotova AND selling her repackaged products. What a shame. I am very offended and will be sharing this with others.