National Domestic Violence Awareness Month

PinterestTwitterEmailFacebooktumblr

The month of October brings to mind things like autumn, football, and Halloween, but did you know that it’s also designated as National Domestic Violence Awareness Month?

One of the many ways organizations and individuals are acknowledging this is through the Pixel Projects “Paint it Purple” campaign, which includes “Paint it Purple” cupcakes. We were inspired to make some of our own purple cupcakes to help us remember the cause this month!

Featured here are white cakes with blackberry jam filling and lavender-colored vanilla icing. To fill your cupcakes: after baking and cooling your favorite cupcakes, simply cut out a little circle on the top of each cake, keeping each piece, spoon a bit of jam, cream, or whatever you desire into the well you just made, and replace the cupcake’s “hat.”

What are some of the ways that you plan on participating this National Domestic Violence Awareness Month?

8 Responses to National Domestic Violence Awareness Month

1. Meital 10/01/2010 at 11:54 pm #

Women! Fight against domestic violence by getting back into the kitchen!

Don’t get too serious now, Modcloth.

2. Marisa 10/02/2010 at 1:37 pm #

No way! I am raising awareness without even knowing it – cause I have just begun this fixation with the color purple. So anyway from now on October is called Purple October for me. I wear purple eyeshadow, purple nail polish, and some really cool taupe and purple clothes. Anyway, I would like to get more involved in fighting against this.

3. Angela 10/02/2010 at 10:14 pm #

I was planning on doing a race for the fight against domestic violence.
    I also am aware of the things that my children hear (specifically in regards to the media, etc), and make sure that they understand what is right so that they will grow up to know that domestic violence is not acceptable!

4. DV Victim 10/03/2010 at 1:51 am #

My first reaction to this blog post was “cupcakes? Really?” but this may be a good point, in a way…when my mother and I left my father due to domestic violence, we had to sit in a lot of unfriendly offices, and when someone did show a bit of love instead of an uninterested “okay, next” it meant a lot, especially to a child.
    That being said…a lot of times domestic violence is not taken seriously. The general reaction I witness is a lot of talk about freedom and building strength; but those who actually care don’t have the resources, and those who hold the power to actually change things — those involved in the legal system — only care how much you can pay. (As a note, I have nothing against the legal system. In my personal experience, it just needs to be more about the issues and less about placating people.)
    Thank you for your part in raising awareness, Modcloth. I sincerely hope it goes far. I would like to see some purple cupcakes in women’s shelters :).

5. lenore 10/03/2010 at 1:38 pm #

LOL @ Meital. I’m afraid I have to agree. The juxtaposition of the title for this post and the photo that comes after it is ridiculous. I understand this site is all about being cute and I appreciate that, but this is just not a cute subject no matter how you try to paint it. I realize this is a fashion blog, but if you really do care about women’s issues and want to come across as sincere, avoid trying to be trendy for just a few seconds.

6. Sophie 10/03/2010 at 1:41 pm #

I didn’t even know that purple was the color of domestic violence awareness. I wish things like this could be more publicized because it’s a really worthy cause! And DV Victim, I am really awed by your positive attitude. It’s great to about hear people who were able to get out and carry on.

7. Alicia (ModCloth) 10/04/2010 at 4:25 pm #

“Thanks for your comments, everyone! Special thanks to @DV for sharing your story. @Meital and @lenore, we certainly aren’t trying to trivialize domestic violence, but we wanted to start our month-long recognition of Domestic Violence Awareness Month by joining the Paint it Purple campaign, which seeks to raise awareness globally by involving bloggers in really accessible ways (like making cupcakes or posting a video endorsement to their Wall of Support).
    Please keep reading the blog throughout October. We’ll be continuing to revisit this issue and raise awareness in other ways. Stay tuned! :)

8. maria 11/24/2010 at 7:53 pm #

i hadnt heard of either the organization or the awarness month i am so excited to learn more about it and put it into action in 2011! woman can do anything if we work together..
    so wheres the recipe?