Friendship Bracelet DIY

Looking for a meaningful way to express your love for your BFF?  Or just looking to create a one-of-a-kind bracelet to sport with your fashionable outfits? We recreated one of our favorite grade school past-times to offer you a little friendship bracelet DIY, perfect as a gift to yourself or your bestie!

Creating a friendship bracelet is actually a pretty simple process;  it’s really just a series of knots created with your favorite colors of embroidery floss!

What you’ll need…

5 skeins of embroidery floss in your favorite colors
Scissors
Tape

1. Cut 5 strands of embroidery floss about 12″ long each and tie them together at one end.  Tape the knotted end to your workspace.  If you want your project to be more mobile, you can also clip it onto a clipboard.  Lay out each strand of thread in the order you’d like the colors to appear on your bracelet.

2. Holding thread B taut, use thread A to tie a knot around thread B. Repeat.

3. Holding thread C taut, use thread A to tie a knot around thread C. Repeat.

4. Continue this process until you’ve tied two knots around threads A – E.

5. Continue this process with thread C and repeat with the remaining threads until your friendship bracelet reaches the proper length to fit around your wrist.  Tie a knot at the end to finish it off and you’re done! Need help? Consult our handy diagram!

Click to enlarge image.

Did you make friendship bracelets as a kid? Do you think you’ll try making them again now?

, , , , ,

15 Responses to Friendship Bracelet DIY

1. ES 10/06/2010 at 3:52 pm #

My twelve-year-old sister is an amazing friendship-bracelet maker, and she’s gotten me back into it. They’re very pretty, and it’s nice to have something for my hands to do while I’m watching mindless TV!

2. Katie 10/06/2010 at 4:00 pm #

Yep! Well, I haven’t made them as bracelets, but I made them as straps for this dress I made earlier this year: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kfunque/4439960580/in/set-72157623636121226/

3. Jewels 10/06/2010 at 6:44 pm #

made them all the time growing up, still make them now :]

4. Ashelle 10/07/2010 at 8:29 am #

I used to make so many different kinds of friendship bracelets. It’s a great suggestion to do it again.

5. Sara 10/07/2010 at 3:53 pm #

Oh my God, I used to do these ALL THE TIME, I was completely obsessed! I think i’m going to have to start again! What a fun idea!

6. Charlotte 10/07/2010 at 6:37 pm #

My siblings and I, who live all over the world and see each other for only about 2 weeks per year, came up with a great idea this summer. We did a “secret Santa” type thing, where we put each person’s name and wrist measurement in a hat, and each sibling made a friendship bracelet for the person whose name they drew. It was so much fun, and now we have a great way of staying close, even when we’re living thousands of miles away.

• Erin (ModCloth) 10/12/2010 at 6:45 pm #

Charlotte, that is such a thoughtful and lovely gift exchange idea. Thank you so much for sharing that!

7. Ren 10/07/2010 at 8:54 pm #

My sister and I both got really good at this type of jewelry and started selling them a few years back. I stopped selling them when I started college but it’s a fun way for us to bond:)

8. gre'nichgrendel 10/11/2010 at 4:43 pm #

gah! Thanks for posting this! I used to make the exact same version of friendship bracelets with my best friend sitting on my window (it had a wide ledge). I wanted to make one for her for cuz she’s having a rough time, but could not for the love of life remember how…now I do. :)

9. Jane 10/23/2010 at 2:06 pm #

I’ve always wanted to learn! Thank you so much!

10. bojana 05/30/2011 at 5:05 pm #

hi, thanks for the tutorial. i have never made friendship bracelets but i thought it’s never too late to start. my friend has birthday in a few days, so i started one bracelet, but i noticed that threads of 12” are too short. i only made 3” with those threads. am i doing something wrong? too tight or too loose?

11. Amanda 05/31/2011 at 2:13 am #

I used the recommended 12 inches and got about half way done until I realized it was way too short and the remaining strings were really hard to use. I started over with WAY more string and it turned out perfectly. The excess would have been better than starting over and wasting time and string.

12. momof6 06/27/2011 at 8:52 pm #

strings way too short and couldn’t figure it out. :( finally tried a design from a different website and made a beautiful one!

13. bojana 06/28/2011 at 2:31 am #

i made my first friendship bracelet for my friend and she loved it. you can see it here: http://bojana.posterous.com/friendship
    thanks.

14. TB 07/22/2011 at 11:51 pm #

I’ve made friendship bracelets for as long as I can remember. Check out my site: http://www.braceletsbydesign.weebly.com