Erté’s Illustrated Typography

What does your perfect ‘type’ consist of? Tall, slender lines with a little wiggle around the edges, or bold and egotistical? Forget past relationships—I’m talking about your perfect two-dimensional type!

Just when I thought I’d seen it all, I stumbled upon my stylus soulmate in the intricately illustrated Alphabet Suite by Erté. If you’re unfamiliar with the Deco-era designer’s clothing and illustrations, I highly suggest writing-in researching his work, starting from A to Z!

Continue on to check out a few more of Erté’s characters below, and let us know—is there a letter suite that you’re particularly ‘font’ of?

About Julianne

Julie Since graduating from the "Center for Kids Who Can't Read Good and Wanna Learn to Do Other Stuff Good Too," Julie's aptness for the written word picked up steam like a runaway train. Her journey thus far has been fueled by an adventurous heart, creative mind, and love of breakfast, baking, and bacon. She often makes social situations more awkward than they need to be and loves the word "scrumtrulescent!"

7 Responses to Erté’s Illustrated Typography

1. Kaelah Bee 10/12/2010 at 11:12 am #

As a typography nerd, this is right up my alley! We devoted an entire 3 week project to illustrating type this way. Such a fun project!

2. Mini (ModCloth) 10/12/2010 at 12:54 pm #

Beautiful!!! Great post! That W really speaks to me.

3. Amanda 10/12/2010 at 1:21 pm #

Interesting….

4. Lara 10/12/2010 at 5:05 pm #

Sweet. Thanks to my grandmother there were about six books of Erte’s illustrations lying about my house growing up. He not only did an alphabet, but a series of numbers, fashion plates corresponding to the seasons, and much more. Plus, check him out– http://madamepickwickartblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/erte6.jpg

• Rachel 10/13/2010 at 10:42 pm #

Wow, he was a cutie, too.

5. Lee 10/12/2010 at 7:59 pm #

Chic typography – fantastic! The Z is probably my favorite.

6. Hadley 10/15/2010 at 6:30 pm #