Street Style: The Midi, This Season’s “It” Length

midi length 1Images via Streetfsn and Mr. Newton.

As the leaves begin to change colors from green to brown, and the weather begins to turn crisp and cool, we’ve noticed the lengths of skirts and dresses grow from mini to midi. The midi length may be considered one of the less-flattering lengths, but we love the way these fashionable ladies styled up these outfits for a look that’s anything but frumpy.

midi length 2Images via Face Hunter and Streetpeeper.

midi length 3Images via Team Peter Stigter and The Sartorialist.

Will you be trying out the midi length this fall?

34 Responses to Street Style: The Midi, This Season’s “It” Length

1. Nita 10/21/2010 at 1:32 pm #

I love it! But at 5′ tall, a mini skirt might as well look like that on me!

2. Tiffany 10/21/2010 at 1:40 pm #

I always thought this length of dress/skirt was a tad matronly, but I have to say, the examples shown are nothing like that! I’m glad you’ve shown how cute this length can be! Thanks and great finds! :D

3. Victoria / Justice Pirate 10/21/2010 at 1:45 pm #

My favourite length for skirts. I hate short skirts . . .because I constantly feel like it will blow up with the wind or that I can’t bend correctly and so much else. this length is so much more beautiful!! It is modest, lovely, and comfortable!!!!!!

4. Ginta 10/21/2010 at 2:08 pm #

My favorite length of the moment too! It’s getting colder and colder daily, so, it’s a great way to stay warm :)

5. Victoria / Justice Pirate 10/21/2010 at 2:12 pm #

ahh. . .see I’m 5’9″ I guess that’s partly why I like it longer.

6. Heather 10/21/2010 at 2:18 pm #

I’d try a look like the one with the teal hat. Loving that! I’m a little too short for this lenght though… It has to be pretty tailored!

7. Jessica 10/21/2010 at 2:46 pm #

Yes! I have lots of these lengths skirts lined up for the fall. Very lady like and very classy.

8. meg, reckless daughter 10/21/2010 at 4:06 pm #

there is something about this length that can be hard to pull off but these ladies look fab!

9. Olivia 10/21/2010 at 4:51 pm #

This is much preferred to the passing maxi dress trend.

10. Kristina 10/21/2010 at 7:25 pm #

The green and blue look is my favorite. I don’t know if I can pull this one off, but I will give it a whirl next time I am thrifting. I find this length usually makes me look dowdy and cankle-y, but maybe it is also about cut and silhouette.

11. Nisha 10/21/2010 at 7:53 pm #

Love but don’t know if I could pull it off

12. Devi 10/21/2010 at 8:40 pm #

How weird, I buy a vintage skirt this length and wear it everywhere and now it’s “trendy”! This is something I’ll be trying carefully as I’m only 4’10”. Knee length looks best on me!

13. Stacy 10/21/2010 at 8:52 pm #

I love the look on tall girls. However, I bought a sheer version of this so- called “midi” and I’ve fallen in love! I would definitely suggest something like it; it’s so fresh for fall!

14. Caitlin 10/22/2010 at 9:09 am #

I’m definitely not a fan of this look. Sure the girls shown look great, but they’re all tall and skinny so it’s no surprise that they look great. The thought of seeing this style on anyone normal is a bit horrifying though.

15. Amanda 10/22/2010 at 9:22 am #

I always wear midi lengths! Ha! And Midi Lengths 1 and 3, left pics: WHERE DID YOU GET YOUR SHIRTS??? Wow!!! And then, Midi Length 2, left pic: THAT HAT! Where did you get THAT??? Probably a one-of-a-kind vintage…. *sigh*

16. C 10/22/2010 at 11:21 am #

I really don’t like this style of skirt, no exceptions. I prefer skirts about knee lengh, but I might be willing to try a maxi.

17. n 10/22/2010 at 12:18 pm #

love this length. i think it’s a unique twist of retro matronly on a young hip woman. love that bag the woman is holding in the first pic.

18. Lily 10/22/2010 at 1:39 pm #

i dont really like skirts at all, but i like if theyre around knee length.. these are pretty nice tho.. on these people. id probably drown in them

19. RachelC 10/22/2010 at 3:29 pm #

I always do the midi-length! :)

20. Emily 10/22/2010 at 8:56 pm #

This is my favorite skirt length, I’m excited. If this really is the newest look, it will be much easier to find them in stores this year :) Maybe I won’t have to make my own anymore!

21. JJ Keith 10/22/2010 at 8:57 pm #

Yay! Midis are the only skirts I wear, but they can be so hard to find.

22. ktkat 10/23/2010 at 2:35 pm #

Looove these-so ladylike!
    When will you also offer things in midi length, Modcloth? I’ll so be there when you do!

23. Caro 10/23/2010 at 4:09 pm #

Skirts at around knee length generally provide the best overall cut for most figures. It’s because you’re ending the skirt around the knees which is where the leg gets narrower from the calf and then into the thighs. It’s the “small” part of your leg next to the ankle. But the thing with maxi skirts ending at the ankle….there’s too much fabric that can eat up a person, especially if you don’t have a well defined waist and/or are short. I am only 5 feet tall so knee length or shorter length dresses and skirts look best on my figure. Short people have to be careful with longer lengths, it doesn’t always work, especially if your torso might have a weird proportion to your legs, like if your legs were shorter in proportion to your long torso. There are all shapes and sizes out there! Dress for YOUR body, and don’t follow trends if they just don’t work on you.

24. Sarah 10/23/2010 at 4:54 pm #

I love this, but its quite unfortunate that i’m 5’1 these types of skirts just flood me.

25. Olivia 10/23/2010 at 7:04 pm #

Probably wouldn’t work on me, being 5’3″

26. Dani4 10/23/2010 at 7:06 pm #

Loving this! I’m always looking for the latest trends in clothes, and jewelry! The JIC site is saying that medallion pendants are really in – would go perfect with these skirts. I also found this great contest on the their site – Gems Among Us (www.jic.org/gemcontest) – I nominated my mom and am hoping she wins so we can celebrate together!

27. Rosaspina Vintage 10/24/2010 at 4:20 pm #

I love them! They look so ladylike!

28. lubna 10/24/2010 at 6:42 pm #

I always midi-skirts and dresses!

29. OnTheRacks 10/25/2010 at 4:34 pm #

Was never a huge fan of this style until recently… now I am finding myself obsessed with midi length skirts! So pretty and perfect for fall. And I love the photos you chose!! Very inspiring. <3

30. Annie 10/26/2010 at 12:03 am #

I love this length of skirt (but with heels). Modcloth, you should sell a few more!

31. Lydia 10/28/2010 at 5:46 pm #

I used to hate this length, but I’ve been seeing a lot of styling that may very well be changing my mind. These all look great!

32. Leona 10/31/2010 at 11:08 pm #

I just ADORE this length. I’m rather tall (5’9”) and this length looks so much better on me and other tall ladies, because all the rediculously short dresses of the world mess with our proportions and make us look rather silly.
    Personally, I find this length to be very flattering on all types of ladies, even shorter ones. I’m glad this length is becoming a trend, so that way stores will FINALLY have some longer dresses that don’t end at my butt. And i think all the short dresses that have been in the style world lately are rather inapropriate and skanky looking.
    Yay for longer dresses and skirts!

33. Ashley 11/11/2010 at 2:55 pm #

I agree with you Leona and even though I’m shorter than you are (5’6”), the calf length I’m told looks better on me since I have very long legs. The shorter skirts even at knee length make me look awkward. I too wish I could find some longer skirts and dresses that were still flattering. I agree that calf length is still attractive on shorter women.

34. Lea 08/09/2011 at 12:33 am #

yes This will be a tough trend because not everone is tall and skinny.Its hard for a curvacious girl to pull it off without looking so frumpy.Many women could look old ladyish.