Beauty DIY: Trim Your Own Bangs!

Essential Tools:
A sturdy styling comb with fine teeth
A pair of sharp beauty scissors

Ready? Follow these simple steps:

Start with dry hair, styled as usual.

1. Separate your bangs from the rest of your hair. Tie back the remainder of your hair with a ponytail holder, or secure hair away from the face with bobby pins.

2. Decide on where you want your bangs to end – close to the crown of your head? Near the middle of your forehead? Just above your eyebrows? Always choose an end point which is just a bit longer than what you want as an end result. You can always trim away hair, but once you’ve gone too far, you’re out of luck!

3. Once you decide on an end point, comb bangs straight down with the comb teeth facing away from your forehead. Stop the comb at the level you’ve chosen. This comb will act as a straightedge guide.

4. Still holding the comb as a guide in one hand, start snipping teeny tiny sections at the center of your forehead and slowly work your way to the sides. Keep the scissors pointed at a 45-degree angle to your face.

5. Finished? Shake your head, causing loose hairs fall to the ground. Comb your bangs a few times to ensure you didn’t miss any areas. Trim remaining hairs as necessary.

6. Done and done – you should find yourself with a sweet set o’ bangs!

Tote your beauty tools around in style with the Voyage Vanity Case, the Melts Your Heart Pouch, or the Prepared for Anything Pencil Pouch. We’ve found these bags are a sweet and stylish way to carry all of our hair and make-up necessities!

, , , ,

19 Responses to Beauty DIY: Trim Your Own Bangs!

1. Ashelle 11/04/2010 at 7:23 pm #

Cutting my own bangs is always anxiety provoking. When it’s a straight cut like you posted above, it’s a little bit easier… but angled bangs I haven’t ventured on cutting on my own since it’s too frightening.

2. Annie 11/04/2010 at 7:37 pm #

Thank you so much for posting this! I’ve been needing to learn to trim my own forever now (can’t afford the cost of going to the salon) and this is going to help me immensely to achieve that goal.

3. Angela (ModCloth) 11/04/2010 at 7:45 pm #

Thanks for sharing this! I’ve been trimming my own bangs for years and years, but I never thought about a proper technique. This makes it seem like I can trim my bangs professionally, but without difficulty!

4. Kendra 11/04/2010 at 8:08 pm #

trimming your own bangs is ALWAYS a bad idea! As a hairdresser I have never seen a good result come out of a DIY bang trim. . . just sayin :P

5. T!ffany 11/04/2010 at 8:17 pm #

…Oh no…I tried this once and it was a huge mistake. Huge. ;)

T!ffany

6. Danielle Todd 11/04/2010 at 9:10 pm #

I’ve done this with mixed results. It’s fine if you get it right the first time but if you can’t get them even seek professional help. Don’t keep trying or you’ll end up with really short bangs!

7. Stephanie 11/04/2010 at 9:46 pm #

hmmm, at first I was so happy you posted this, as I desperately need to trim mine, BUT after reading these conmment, my courage just flew out the window! Lol…. now I need to balance up my desire to get my bangs out of my eyes without paying for it, against my fear of having bad hair for a month! ;)

8. Al 11/04/2010 at 10:04 pm #

My stylist taught me to twist small sections of my bangs and then trim them or to snip in at an angle if you are using the comb method, rather than straight across. I have a very texture-y pixie cut that she spends about an hour layering for me every five months.

9. Katharine Ellis Tapley 11/05/2010 at 6:58 am #

Yeah, and I think the most important thing when trimming your bangs is your hair texture. I’ve had good luck with angled, but straight across has never worked for me. I have very fine hair.

10. Victoria / Justice Pirate 11/05/2010 at 2:10 pm #

I used to always tell my mom to stop cutting my bangs when I was little because she always did it when it was wet and it looked awful when it dried. Thankfully I’ve been cutting my own hair since I was 9.

11. Mary 11/05/2010 at 4:10 pm #

I’ve almost always cut my own bangs & it’s not as hard as some of these comments make it seem. I don’t even let my hairdresser cut them & just take care of them once I get home. I’ve done angled & straight & it’s really easy, just takes a bit of practice. Have some faith in yourselves ladies!

12. Shannon 11/05/2010 at 4:45 pm #

This is a hairdressers worst nightmare…I welcome your at home color mistakes because I can fix that and the corrective color puts a nice shine to my paycheck…but when clients come in from butchering their own bangs…That’s something I can’t fix and you will just have to hang with patience to grow it out. Honstly girls…a bang trim at your nearby salon hardly puts a hole in your pocket…for my consistent clients, if they walk in and I have a free minute or two I do it for free…otherwise making an appointment may only cost you 3-7 bucks. Spare yourself the humility!

13. Alexa 11/05/2010 at 9:00 pm #

Tried this a few weeks ago and ended up cutting all of my hair….and the end result was good.

14. Ellie 11/05/2010 at 11:41 pm #

I trim my own bangs all the time and I’m always happy with the results! I don’t tell the people who cut my hair, though, and I’m sure they’re pessimistic about DIY bangs because they only see/hear the horror stories. Anyway… I’m just as, if not more likely to dislike what a hairdresser does to my hair than what I do to it.

15. ruby xo 11/22/2010 at 1:41 pm #

do bangs end up curly if you’re a curly haired person? i used to have short hair and it was quite straight, but when i let my hair grow long it went super curly! i would really like a fringe but i don’t want it to be a curly one. do you think it will go curly? oh and i don’t want to end up having to straighten it everyday! just want some advice before i go getting my hair cut! thankyou :)

16. amithyst 11/23/2010 at 6:04 am #

bad idea. very irresponsible to encourage people to cut their own fringe. why do you think that there are professionals in the beauty industry?! thanks for derailing my career.

17. Rita 03/10/2011 at 4:53 pm #

As a hairstylist I will tell you: do not do this.
      Find a good hairstylist. They should always offer free fringe trims for their clients.
      Seriously… I am so tired of people getting bad hair advice.

18. Nicole 03/29/2011 at 9:51 am #

When I was a kid I had the thick straight across bangs with my hair down to my butt. Stick straight and no layers. I grew my bangs out when I was 13 cuz I hated my life with the hair I had been given. Funny how I didn’t even last 10 yrs w/o them before I got em back. My mom has cut my hair my entire life. she used to be a cosmetology teacher. but SHE went to cosmo school in the 80s so…… Her techniques are a tad dated. When I got my bangs cuz back into my hair… I showed her pictures of the scene girl haircut and told her it was what i wanted… she ended up basically giving me an 80’s hair band groupie hair cut… but… i think realized the scene girl hair cut is basically the same exact thing.. hahaha. i no longer have the 80’s rocker mullet.. but i do still have my bangs.. which i cut myself, usually… after trimming the length i also take small strips and comb them straight up trimming the longer hairs to match the shorter ones. is almost not trust someone to cut my bangs.. i take them very seriously and im happy with what i can do with them.. so why get em screwed up? lol

19. Linda 09/14/2013 at 11:46 am #

When I trim my own bangs I always use a razor instead of scissors. It looks a little less blunt and more natural. :)