Shopping & Sizing Made Easy at ModCloth!

It wasn’t all that long ago that Susan, Eric, and Winston were packing ModCloth orders in their home office, so we’re very excited to announce a big step for ModCloth – our new sizing system! A lot of you have sent your feedback on the way we’ve provided product measurements in the past, and we heard you loud and clear!

Starting today, we’ve taken the steps to make your online shopping experience easier and more enjoyable by creating the ModCloth Size Chart. Check out the ModStylists’ video for more information about how we’re working to help you find your perfect fit!

Another way we’re working to provide you the best shopping experience is through our My Measurements feature. My Measurements allows you to share your measurements with the ModCommunity within the reviews you leave. However, if you prefer to keep that information private, that’s okay! It’s still great just knowing your actual size for comparison when browsing the reviews completed by other ModLovers!

Don’t know your measurements? No problem! Starting this week, we’re sending a ModCloth measuring tape out with all our orders, while supplies last.

Lastly, we’d love to hear your feedback on My Measurements and our new sizing system. What do you think?

About ModCloth

166 Responses to Shopping & Sizing Made Easy at ModCloth!

1. Amanda 11/16/2010 at 2:27 pm #

I dislike it. Having the individual measurements of each item was incredibly useful and one of the things I liked most about ModCloth. The new sizing information is too vague; saying something “Runs small – please size up” (http://www.modcloth.com/store/ModCloth/Womens/Dresses/Ambitious+Endeavor+Dress) without the specific measurements tells me nothing. Is it small all over, or just small in the bust? Is it 1″ smaller in the bust, but 2″ smaller in the hips?
    Ordering clothing online is hard enough; please bring back the individual measurements!

2. Kelli 11/16/2010 at 2:39 pm #

I’m actually with Amanda on this one. One of the reasons I love ModCloth so much is that I’ve always been able to know exactly how a garment was going to fit before I ordered. The individual sizing has saved me from making many a purchase that would have been too small.
    My larger bust makes it difficult to find well fitting clothing, and the individual measurements ensured that a blouse was going to actually button!

• Wittney 11/23/2010 at 3:42 pm #

Agreed. I am very very busty with a small waist and I actually am getting ready to send back a dress that was too small because I didn’t have the measurements. I also loved this site because I actually wasn’t afraid to order things because I knew exactly how it would fit. Now, I am a bit sketchy.

3. Becca 11/16/2010 at 3:13 pm #

I have to agree with these two girls – I was looking at new arrivals and wondering what happened to the measurement tab. The size chart is helpful in some ways but the different brands and labels carried often run very differently to the sizes on the chart, I loved having the actual measurement of an item so as to guarantee fit

4. Sophie 11/16/2010 at 3:29 pm #

I also have to agree. I loved having the individual measurements, PLEASE bring them back. They were one of my favorite parts of ordering here–I have never needed to return clothing to you due to it being the wrong size thanks to the measurements…but I see that changing.

5. Shannon 11/16/2010 at 4:09 pm #

I think ModCloth is the most customer-friendly clothing website I’ve ever shopped. Unfortunately, my favorite thing about ModCloth is that you always provided the exact measurements of each individual item. I can’t imagine why anyone would want to take that away!

However, I LOVE the idea of “My Measurements” and the new review layouts. The most helpful reviews (for me) are always the ones that include the person’s measurements.

6. Lyri 11/16/2010 at 4:20 pm #

I’m going to have to join the bandwagon here. I LOVED the individual measurements, I depended on them. I’m a big, curvy girl, and having measurements individual to each item was part of what made me even trust in online shopping at Modcloth. I’ve never had to return a single item, unlike with every other online shop that has a generic size chart. I wouldn’t want that to change. Bring back the old system, Modcloth!

(I will say though, I love the new “My Measurements” and the new reviews.)

7. Erin 11/16/2010 at 4:26 pm #

Yes, I really dislike the new system – I’m trying to understand how it works and it is problematic. The new size chart is to apply to every product on the webiste, however, there has been such a great variance from size to size in the different items that I don’t see how everything on the site could possibly adhere to this system. Even if the tips on sizing up or down are provided, they are vague and not exact the way that the old system was. Many items that have been, in the past, labelled “L” have measurements more suitable for a size 6 to 8, rather than 12 to 14 that the chart indicates. I think this is a really bad move and will deter a lot of measurement-conscious people from ordering items for fear of having to return them. I don’t see how you acn use one chart to apply to products made by many individual companies. The measurements was an (almost) exact science that made shopping with ModCloth efficient. I am disappointed.

8. Suze 11/16/2010 at 4:27 pm #

Dumbest idea ever. I loved the measurements on each piece.
    And just because someone else has the same size chest as me DOESN’T mean the same dress will fit us.

LAME.

9. Johanna 11/16/2010 at 4:29 pm #

I have to agree with Amanda and the rest. I have a small waist and a large bust, and a fuzzy “runs small, order up” isn’t going to work for me, I’m afraid. Runs small WHERE, exactly? The bust, hips, or waist? If I order up, is it going to fit in the bust but be baggy in the waist, or the other way around? I have dresses in my shopping bag that I placed there before The Change, and after a quick check I noticed that if I’d gone with the new sizing system, I’d have ended up with different (and wrong) sizes on pretty much all of those items. Please bring back the individual measurements – I can’t risk ordering something, paying for international shipping and customs, only to end up with an adorable but unwearable garment that I can’t return or exchange.

I do like the new little sidebar where reviewers can post their height and bust-waist-hip measurements, though.

10. Jeneva 11/16/2010 at 5:23 pm #

Just like everyone else I think it’s a horrible idea. All brands have a different idea of what “small” is. It was so much more helpful before, please PLEASE change it back :^(

11. Tee 11/16/2010 at 5:36 pm #

I have to agree with the above comments. Being an international buyer, I NEED to know that the garments I have chosen are going to fit me, as I cannot afford to return items and have new ones re-shipped. Please go back to individual measurements! :’(

12. chandra 11/16/2010 at 6:07 pm #

I too agree that having the product measurements (the old way) was MUCH more helpful.

13. Jessica 11/16/2010 at 6:15 pm #

I agree I loved how the measurements were specific to every garment. Those who had issues with the sizing obviously didn’t measure correctly or they went down a size for vanity reasons. I would have had so many returns without those specific measurements. Please bring them back or at least find a happy medium. For instance, if the product runs smaller or just different from the size chart then provide specific measurements. Just a thought….

14. Amy Laging 11/16/2010 at 6:18 pm #

I agree. I love ModCloth and just made my first ever order and was thrilled with it. Please bring the old system back.

15. Ali 11/16/2010 at 6:22 pm #

I have to agree with everyone on the change. I really depend on the individual measurements, and prefer shopping here over any other online shop because of it. I know it’s probably time consuming measuring every garment you sell, but it saves customers the trouble of having to return an item, especially when you live outside the US and have to pay for shipping. Please bring it back!!

16. Lanie 11/16/2010 at 6:23 pm #

I’m agreeing with everyone else here. Please bring back the individual flat measurements. This new system is wrong. So ,so wrong. And much too vague. Can’t you do both…

17. Kara 11/16/2010 at 6:41 pm #

To jump on the bandwagon, I am SO sad to see the change to a size chart! I understand that the intention is to streamline sizing, but I think it causes more confusion and actually just homogenizes Modcloth with all of the other sites out there and their poor sizing references. Like some of the other reviewers, I have a sizeable bust and zero hips, and without measurements, I now have no idea what “runs small” or “runs large” means. Additionally, in some designers (ie, Trollied Dolly) their sizes are S/M or M/L – how does that work with the size chart?? I went back to a few items I’d previously purchased to check out how accurate the size chart would be, and found it to be WAY off for me and would have led me to purchase the wrong size. Dresses that fit large on me were listed as “true to size” and others where it said “ran large” I would have struggled with sizing down to to my bust – confusion I was able to avoid with individual measurements.

I adore Modcloth and hate to see one of the best features disappear. I’ve seen other sites with your items, but never your attention to detail with measurements, and so I always stuck with Modcloth. It was a HUGE fantastic leap forward showing personal measurements beside reviews (how many reviews have we read where someone says “I bought a medium and it fit great!” without any idea of their size??), but this second addition of a size chart without individual measurements it a big step back. I rely on Reviews and Measurements when I make a purchase – so so lost without one of those critical factors!

18. Jessica 11/16/2010 at 6:47 pm #

I also agree with everyone else! I have an odd body shape and can wear anywhere from a size 6 to a size 10 depending on the garment. All clothings is not created equally, and while reviews are extremely helpful, having individual bust/wasit/hip measurements was also really helpful in helping me determine which size would work best. I don’t understand the point of taking that information away. I have never bought clothing from a site with this kind of generic size chart because it rarely works for me. Bring back measurements!

19. Shanna 11/16/2010 at 6:56 pm #

I am so upset about this new ‘universal’ ModCloth size chart!! It’s ridiculous. One of the main reasons that I shop at this site is because each item is measured INDIVIDUALLY. This helps me to know precisely how it will fit on my body. This new chart does nothing!!! It just gives a general range, but as I have found through my numerous orders on this site, different brands are cut different, and even two items from the same designer can vary considerably in their inch measurements, as well as the stretch of the fabric. I HATE THIS NEW SIZE CHART. Please, please, please bring back the old individual sizing!!! I can already forsee my order frequency decreasing and/or my number of returns increasing, thanks to no longer having truly accurate measurements. Like some of the other commenters, I also have a unique body shape that can wear anything from a 6-10 in bottoms, and a Small to Large in tops. It’s unfair to just give us a blanket sizing system, when in real life this is far from accurate and reliable. Please consider giving us back the old measurement system!! Thank youuuu

20. Sunita 11/16/2010 at 7:40 pm #

Listen to us! We sound like a bunch of old codgers that say things like When I was your age” : ) In all seriousness, I agree with everyone else. The individual measurements were so helpful. I, like Johanna, did the compare stuff on my wishlist to the new size chart and things did not always match. So sad.

The CS at Modcloth is bellisima, so I know that if this ends up being the wrong move, individual measurements will come back, I hope. In the meantime, I may just stick with buying clothes from the brands I already have in my closet because I will know what size will fit and will only buy unknown brands if they are too cute to ignore.

21. Sunita 11/16/2010 at 7:41 pm #

Oh! I forgot to mention: ladies you look fab in the video!

22. ModCloth 11/16/2010 at 7:41 pm #

Hi, everyone!

Thank you for all your honesty and suggestions. We’re sorry if we upset anyone, and thank you for responding with such constructive, impassioned comments. We created our new sizing system due to feedback we received from customers, in hopes of giving you guys the best shopping experience possible. As with all of our site features, this is simply the next (and not final) step to improving our sizing and measurements features. So, please continue to tell us your suggestions and concerns. Which types of garments are you most concerned about? What would your ideal measurements system look like?

Lastly, please don’t hesitate to ask our ModStylists via live chat or 1-866-344-4317 if you have any questions about an item’s sizing or fit!

Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts. We really appreciate it!

Love,
    ModCloth

• Amanda 11/19/2010 at 12:01 pm #

My ideal measurement system would have the “flat” measurements and the new size chart. Then everyone could be happy and resume buying with confidence!
      I am concerned about all garments, as the new size chart shows a range of 1 – 2 inches for most measurements. How am I supposed to know it will fit?

• Emily 11/19/2010 at 6:14 pm #

I’m concerned about dresses, skirts, and sweaters. It’s a hassle to have to have things altered. I never know how a dress will fit in the bust and waist or if it will be too tight on my hourglass hips unless I have detailed measurements. I’m a 38-29-39, a classic hourglass – and two different sizes on your ill-conceived new size chart.

• Emily 11/19/2010 at 6:15 pm #

I’m with Amanda. The best system would include flat measurements and the new size chart.

• CherryCarrie 11/23/2010 at 8:35 pm #

hear hear to Amanda and Emily. Having both would be terrific.

23. Jackie 11/16/2010 at 7:43 pm #

Being a tall person, I’ve found that a lot of the dresses on ModCloth can be rather on the short side. The individual measurements were very helpful in figuring out if the dress would work for me or not. Also, sizes can be very different between different brands and designers, so it was extremely helpful to have those individual measurements.

24. Steph 11/16/2010 at 7:45 pm #

Bring back the individual measurements! Or at least add them to the “extra details” tab. This system completely eliminates my ability to buy from modcloth. Having a size that shows a range (e.g. 32-34 inches) is completely useless. If you’re on the large end of that spectrum and the garment ends up being on the smaller, or vice versa, it’s not going to fit and you won’t know till you get it. This new system completely eliminates the possibilities for us international buyers because we can’t just exchange things due to the postage and whatnot. Absolutely devastated by this change. I won’t be able to order anything that wasn’t already on my wishlist (from when they had the individual sizes) ever again with this system as I’ll never be able to be sure it will fit.

25. Elissa 11/16/2010 at 7:51 pm #

I love the individual sizes for each item!! Just maybe make them round? As if someone was wearing them? Universal sizes is a bad idea as each designer has different ideas on sizes. Reconsider please.

26. Christy 11/16/2010 at 7:54 pm #

As someone who purchases mostly vintage, I’ve learned to shop for clothing by looking at measurements rather than inconsistent and unhelpful size categories (I think this may be true of a lot of your customers). Plus, my measurements place me into several different sizing categories on your chart, so it’ll be hard for me to choose which size to purchase. One of the most unique things about ModCloth was the way you provided specific measurements for each garment; it was so helpful and likely reduced the number of people making returns based solely on sizing. I LOVE that you enable reviewers to easily share their measurements and the sizes they purchased, but please consider bringing back individual product measurements!

27. Lisa 11/16/2010 at 7:55 pm #

Yep – have to agree with everyone else on this – horrible idea. I have found their past S/M/L sizes varying all over the place, depending on the brands. Having the EXACT measurements is crucial to me making a purchase. As a curvy gal, I need to know each measurement to determine if a garment will fit my body. Honestly, this is a dealbreaker. I won’t be making any further purchases with ModCloth if this is the system they provide. Please bring back the old system! Trust me, ModCloth – giving your customers more information is way better than not enough.

28. Erin McD 11/16/2010 at 8:21 pm #

I am all on board with the additions that you’ve made to the reviewing process, but I’m so disappointed that you’ve gotten rid of the exact measurements of the items. It’s really hard to shop online and just trust that your items will fit when you don’t know the exact measurements. As you say, you purchase items in small batches from indie designers, and as anyone who has bought on Modcloth has experienced, those designers do not have synchronized sizing. Many garments are off-size on one measurement while the other measurements fit right in with the normal sizing. With the information that would indicate this suddenly gone, I’m really hesitant to make any more purchases.

29. Anne 11/16/2010 at 8:34 pm #

I much prefer the individual size measurements. I’ve bought quite a few dresses from Modcloth over time and my sizes have ranged from XS to L. Without more precise sizing, I’d probably just end up returning things more often. Just thinking about the future hassle is putting me off. Sure, it’s all right to provide a universal size chart if there’s only one manufacturer (who manufacturers consistently–sometimes that isn’t even a given!) but that’s simply not the case here. Experience has showed me that more precision is better, and I haven’t read a different opinion here yet.

30. Maren 11/16/2010 at 9:23 pm #

Every brand is different so this sizing will NOT work. I won’t be buying anything else without it.

31. Caren 11/16/2010 at 9:40 pm #

I can see how the measurement system might have been intimidating for new customers, but I think those of us who really knew how to use it loved it. The only times it was ever a problem for me were for more structured garments where the flat measurement didn’t necessarily show how the garment would actually fit on me. (For instance, my bust measurement is 34″, but every garment that fits me doesn’t necessarily have a flat measurement of 17″ because some are more, ah, three-dimensional.) For those cases, I would love to see a seam-to-seam measurement of the garment on a mannequin, but I know that’s a lot more work.

32. Sharon 11/16/2010 at 9:48 pm #

It’s nice having the specific measurements for each item, as I know what I am getting and will be less likely to return a something based on fit.

33. Lindsey 11/16/2010 at 10:03 pm #

I think the old way was much more helpful with ordering the right size and deciding if it was worth buying or not. I find the new way a bit risky. :/

34. natalie 11/16/2010 at 10:50 pm #

Agreed on all counts. Please bring back the former system!

35. Lyri 11/16/2010 at 10:50 pm #

My ideal measurement system would either be going back to the old one (flat) or just regular circumference sizing like on the chart, just INDIVIDUAL to each item.

I was looking at the chart, and according to those generic measurements, I wouldn’t have fit into most of my purchases. I have 2 or 3 dresses that I LOVE that I would have skipped on because I’m supposed to be an XL but they don’t come in XL. I would never consider a L in a regular online store, but I went for it because I had those measurements that gave me security. This change will keep some money in my pocket, but it also means I’ll be missing out on some amazing items.

Just bring it back, guys.

36. Anne 11/16/2010 at 11:30 pm #

I have to agree totally with what most people are saying. I live in Australia and can’t take the risk of something not fitting accurately as it costs way too much to return items (sometimes more than the item itself costs). I have ordered heaps from ModCloth and had no problems with sizing because of having the specific measurements for each garment. Each time I have measured clothes I already own that I know fit perfectly and compared them with the measurements and have always got it right. I feel so upset that I will have to think twice about ordering clothes as I’ll be too scared to risk them not fitting. ModCloth is my favourite site and where nearly all my (and my daughter’s!) clothes come from. Please reconsider this decision ModCloth – it obviously means a lot to so many.

37. Chris 11/16/2010 at 11:49 pm #

I bought items for my girlfriend from this site because it had exact measurements. Now that the measurements aren’t as specific as before, I am having a hard time purchasing something for her. Now I will have to look for a site that has exact measurements because I can’t afford to waste time on time sensitive gifts. Please bring the old system back!

38. Carly 11/17/2010 at 12:18 am #

I agree with the many unanimous comments before mine: simply that this change is not good for us.
    I’m disappointed by ModCloth’s response: as a loyal customer I feel a bit brushed off.
    If you feel strongly about this new system, what would stop you from implementing it in addition to the old system, instead of replacing it? You’ve been measuring garments individually all along and you have been very successful- why stop now and in doing so, alienate so much of your fanbase when we are clearly expressing how important individual measurements are to an online shopping experience. Online shopping is already an inherently uncertain process, and you are taking away one of the things that used to make ModCloth a more trustworthy and confident online shopping experience. Please listen to the shoppers.
    Thanks for reading.

39. Jessica 11/17/2010 at 12:29 am #

I hope that you will bring back the individual measurements! I just ordered two dresses, one is a 2 xl and the other a large, and they both fit! Since your clothing is all from a variety of brands, the size chart really tells me nothing, and so many of your items run small or are sized for juniors, I will have a really hard time selecting what items will fit well, if at all!

40. Neta Frie 11/17/2010 at 12:51 am #

I can’t help but agree with the comments above me. The individual measurements were one of ModCloth’s best features. That’s the problem I usually have with online shops- you can never know the actual measurements of what you order! The old sizing system was great, since with it you could figure out exactly which garment is going to fit you and which one isn’t.

41. ElleChang 11/17/2010 at 1:14 am #

I agree with the above. I prefer the individual measurements especially since most of these clothes are “vintage” inspired. They do not fit the standard S, M, L sizes. I will specifically buy from ModCloth over other vintage inspired websites because of this feature. Even if I can find a dress cheaper somewhere else, I would rather pay more and support the services that ModCloth provides. I don’t have to second guess if the item will fit me. I do appreciate the new features but please keep the individual measurements! Thanks!

42. Ayemana 11/17/2010 at 1:26 am #

I Agree with most girls above, i live in Australia and althhough there are free returns and exchanges , it is not the most financially viable option for me. I loved Modcloth for the individual sizing they offered. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASEEE MODCLOTH BRING IT BACK!!!!! It may not always be accurate but it gives us girls a VERY VERY GOOD IDEA!!! Now with just the height i cant decide what will and will not fit me. Many larges have bust size 40”(without stretch), where as your size chart labels large as a bust size 39″. Again only individual sizing can provide such wonderful insight. Please bring it back!!
    tons of love!’
    Aye

43. Sophie 11/17/2010 at 1:31 am #

I… 40th that?
    I love the “my measurements” thing because you can see how someone felt something fit and compare how it would fit on your own shape, but the universal size chart doesn’t make sense. I’ve bought a few things from this site and the variation between sizes is something to consider. the universal size chart is like “oh, here’s what we think a small is…”, but leaves too much up in the air, especially when there’s shipping involved. Basically the more specific fit information the better! A mix of the old and new would work splendidly.

44. Kiwigal 11/17/2010 at 2:08 am #

Totally agree with all the comments above. I am so disappointed. ModCloth was the first online store I ever took the risk of buying clothes from because the exact measurements provided me with extra assurance that the fit would work out. ModCloth sells clothes made by so many different brands, each with slightly different sizing systems, there is no way that standardised sizing is going to be accurate. Also, no woman fits perfectly into one size, and so the exact measurements helps in deciding whether to go up a size or down. I am usually a size 4-6 but I also have sizes 2 and 8 in my wardrobe. According to the sizing chart I have size 4 hips and a size 10 waist – without exact measurements the only way to know is to try the garment on. I expect this change will result in a much higher rate of returns to ModCloth and customers will start feeling like its easier just to go to the mall. Please reconsider!

45. Jennifer 11/17/2010 at 2:58 am #

I have yet to see anyone agree with the new sizing system.
    Is that enough of a sign, ModCloth?
    The only items I can even consider even buying are clothing that is already in my wishlist cause at least I knew the individual sizes. I’m such a weird shape that I can’t rely on any universal chart. The sizes I’ve purchased here range from Small to Large, it was never consistent.
    Listen to your customers, Modcloth, not all change is good!
    Although I approve of My Measurements. That’s awesome.

46. Q 11/17/2010 at 3:14 am #

Agreed and agreed some more. I have freakishly cartoonish Betty-Boop proportions, and I specifically have avoided ordering clothes online in the past for this very reason — a “usual range” does nothing to assure me that the dress will fit, and I don’t have time to mess around with returns. I just discovered your site, and I have fallen so completely in love with it, having made something like four purchases over the past month. Pleeeease don’t kill this for me, or for anyone else. I don’t like to waste time, but I do like to spend money and I’d like to continue spending it with you. Measurements, please!

47. Tasha 11/17/2010 at 8:48 am #

I am very disappointed to see the change in sizing. This is the only place I feel safe to shop online. I am always inbetween sizes, and having exact measurements has made it possible to pick the right clothes for me. I know I would never have ordered anything here if you were using the new sizing system all along. :(

48. Kim 11/17/2010 at 9:07 am #

Please bring back individual measurements! There were the best part of ModCloth, and purchasing anything without them will be so stressful.

49. Erin 11/17/2010 at 9:37 am #

I don’t see how having this new size chart could satisfy feedback from customers when it’s, in my eyes, providing general and possibly incorrect information. You recently posted on Twitter a link to someone’s comment expressing how essential it is to know your own measurements before buying an item and that keeping them in mind when browsing will ensure you get a pefect fit. And now this entire system is gone, and for what? I absolutely agree that I feel brushed off by this new system. If customers were complaining about the previous system that gave specific, exact measurements, that was the result of bad judgement on their end. There will probably be many more returns this way and a decrease in orders due to the uncertainty about size that many loyal shoppers will have now. Many customers do not wish to take the time to get ahold of customer service before ordering every single item. Although this is not the final step on creating a good customer experience, my favorite part of shopping with ModCloth that ensured a good experience has now disappeared.

50. Brittany 11/17/2010 at 10:59 am #

I have to concur with most of the above customers. The measurement guide was much more helpful when it provided measurements per garment. The general Size Chart is vague and unhelpful and too much like most other web stores – ModCloth is in danger of losing what made it unique and successful.

51. Victoria / Justice Pirate 11/17/2010 at 11:07 am #

love it. thanks.

52. Sarah 11/17/2010 at 11:10 am #

As someone who is large busted with a straight waist, I really loved and depended on the specific bust and waist measurements you provided in the previous system to determine whether items would fit my body. In fact, when I spotted a cute item, my first move was to jump to the fit tab to check waist and length. Sometimes a juniors large fits me, and sometimes it does not, and that difference is usually made based on exact measurement and stretch capacity of bust and waist. Disappointed to see this feature go.

• Samantha 11/18/2010 at 8:48 am #

I have to agree…I really relied on the specific bust sizing to make my descion. I really don’t like the mass sizing chart that makes it hard to tell if you need an 8 or a 10UK sizing when both are classified as small.
      Being able to do this was one of the reasons I liked modcloth so much, it took out alot of the guess work as to whether or not the piece would fit well when I got it in the mail.
      Now it feels just like I’m buying from a commerical online store.
      Really dissapointed with this.

• jen 11/19/2010 at 1:02 pm #

i agree so much with this comment. even though the measurements weren’t always the most accurate, i would at least know if i had a shot of squeezing my chest into something, this way it’s impossible to tell.

53. Emily 11/17/2010 at 11:27 am #

I’m am sorry to all the Modcloth people who have spent so much time getting this sizing chart prepared, but I am also going to have to jump on the bandwagon. It’s it just not as effective as your original design. Even though the measurements were flat, it allowed a bigger girl like myself to know exactly how it would fit, and where any sizing issues might occur. You could compare the flat measurements against items you already owned, and then buy accordingly. The new system is, a little vague, and honestly a little hard to decipher. What is Jnrs? I didn’t think Modcloth sold childerns clothing (I might be showing my ignorance here).

I think the My Measurements application is fantastic, but I do believe that a switch back to individual measurements would make a lot of women happy. It just cuts out a lot of the guess work. Sizing is already so hard to judge when shopping online. I believe a lot of Modcloth’s customers shop here because of the availability of so much information about a design, and the ability to chat to a stylist to then get more info. If the ModChat people do not want to be swamped with questions about individual design measurements, I suggest a switch back.

54. Rebecca 11/17/2010 at 11:33 am #

I too really dislike the new system, and hopefully you’ll bring back the old one. I’ve bought items that vary from an extra small to a large on this site, and the only reason they all fit perfectly and I didn’t have to send them back was due to the exact measurements listed on each piece, not the new universal ones. If I’m not confident in what I’m buying, then I won’t be purchasing from ModCloth much longer, which is a shame since this is my favorite clothing site.

55. Stella 11/17/2010 at 12:34 pm #

I really did prefer the individual sizing too, for each item. I do believe for certain cuts of clothing, the measurements vary quite a bit. I really prefer the older system as well because I’d be more confident purchasing something where I know the exact waist, bust and hips measurement. I want an item to fit well and precise, so a chart’s not going to help me very much.

56. Brittany 11/17/2010 at 12:52 pm #

Oh Modcloth. . .why did you remove the item-specific measurements from your site? We all know that each item has a different ratio depending on its cut. This is so disappointing.

57. Julie 11/17/2010 at 1:40 pm #

So disappointed with this new system. One of the reasons I ordered off ModCloth was because I could pretty much guarantee fit with the individual measurements. I definitely won’t be making any more orders until the old system is brought back.

58. Alison 11/17/2010 at 1:55 pm #

I too have to agree that the item-specific measurements were so helpful. Once I got the hang of that system it dramatically reduced my rate of return. I spent several minutes on chat with Nicole today who helped me by providing that sizing info on a garment, which I didn’t feel comfortable purchasing before narrowing down the size options. I now have to rely on the reviews of others who post feedback along with their measurement details so I can compare them to my own. It may initially save time to not have to measure each item before listing it on the site, but it may increase returns and customer service time in the long run. Thanks for considering our feedback Modcloth!

• Alison 11/17/2010 at 2:02 pm #

Almost forgot, I notice based on the reviews that Modcloth customers come in all shapes just as the clothes do! I thought the detailed measurements were very helpful in indicating which items were best suited for the hourglass vs. the straight vs. the pear, apple, etc. The trouble with standardized sizing is that it gives you no feel for those shapes and the photos often can’t convey that level of detail either .

59. Julie 11/17/2010 at 2:15 pm #

Like everyone else here, I agree that specific measurements for each item and size were an enormously helpful tool in deciding what to buy. The new size chart is frankly useless–a range of measurements for bust, waist, and hip tell me absolutely nothing about whether that item will fit me. I’d buy an item with a 12.5″ waist measurement, but one with at 13.5″ waist would be hopelessly large.

Size charts seem better suited to brand sites where every item is made according to standard patterns. It just doesn’t fit with the wide range of designers offered on ModCloth. In fact, your specific measurements differentiated you from the competition. I might see an item I like on another site, but without knowing if it would fit I’d never buy it. ModCloth thus got a huge chunk of my online shopping business for years–but without this feature, I haven’t added any new items to my wishlist or shopping cart.

The recent “your measurements” addition was great, and I’d hoped for a feature that would find items based on these. Getting rid of item-specific measurements instead was a mistake. Listen to your loyal customers! Bring back the item measurements!

60. em 11/17/2010 at 2:38 pm #

As a tiny person who has trouble finding clothes that fit, I really depended on the item-specific measurements. Please keep the “your measurements” addition, but bring back the individual charts!! You stock so many different brands that a generalized size chart doesn’t seem like the most practical option.

61. Eileen 11/17/2010 at 3:39 pm #

I really don’t like the new system. As others have said – I don’t fit into a standard size so having the actual measurements of an item was VERY helpful.

I love ModCloth and have been very, very impressed with your customer service and your selection. One of my favourite daily routines is to check the “new arrivals” section to see what I need to add to my wish lists!

Unfortunately now I feel I just don’t have the information I need to risk ordering something when I know that I’ll have to pay for shipping to send it back!

I have also enjoyed the stuff on Shop Ruche but haven’t ordered from them because they don’t have the detailed info about the measurements. Now my beloved ModCloth is doing the same thing! Very disappointing.

Please, please, please bring back the detailed measurement tab!

62. Natasha 11/17/2010 at 4:06 pm #

I really loved how each garment had an individualized sizing chart. I have a small waist and large hips and knowing the exact measurements helped me decide which garment was best for me. Especially on some of the intentionally clingy dresses knowing the exact size was better.

63. Kara 11/17/2010 at 4:21 pm #

As a long time ModCloth shopper, it saddens me that I will no continue to order from this site. Who has the time/money to waste by guessing on the fit of an item? My idea of a size four, could be very different from your idea of a size four – “size down, or size up” is just ridiculous. Horrible.

64. Susan 11/17/2010 at 4:46 pm #

Just want to throw my voice in here as well…. I’ve been a very long time Modcloth shopper for myself and my sister- everything Christmas and birthday I usually surprise her with one of her favorite dresses. We are both busty with small waists and NEED the sizing chart. I won’t be able to order from Modcloth anymore, unfortunately, because I refuse to spend money on something without knowing the measurements. There is NO way to know for sure how something will fit unless you have the measurements. This is incredibly backwards selling and I can’t see why anyone would think this is a BETTER solution! It’s a huge step back.

I love your company- I love your clothes and accessories and your customer service people are always incredibly sweet and helpful. It’s too bad that I won’t be shopping here anymore. Can’t you at least provide BOTH sizing systems?

65. Megan 11/17/2010 at 8:28 pm #

For me, ‘small’ sizes can differ dramatically in the bust.
    If you don’t have the individual measurements, then you are really guessing as to whether the garment will fit you (or whether there will be fabric poking out the back).

And vice versa.

The sizing chart doesn’t appear to solve this problem. I prefer the lie-it-flat measurements which were quite ingenious.

66. ktkat 11/17/2010 at 11:10 pm #

For a company that otherwise so successfully caters to ladies’ individuality through everything from diverse blogs to a wide variety of supercute, quirky clothing, I don’t understand why ModCloth suddenly expects its clientele to fit in a prescribed fitting chart.
    In short, PLEASE bring back the individual measurements feature!

67. Antoinette 11/17/2010 at 11:46 pm #

I’m a short girl but I have an hourglass figure. I have to agree with everyone else that the old measurement system was more effective. please bring it back!

68. Allie 11/18/2010 at 2:06 am #

As an international customer, I relied on the individual measurements to ensure I wasn’t wasting my money. Since I discovered this site, I was making an order almost once a month (especially now that the Aussie Dollar is so strong), and I’ve compiled a mighty christmas list. But without the individual measurements, it’s simply not worth it. I can’t tell if the items will fit properly, and if they don’t, then I’m stuck paying for shipping. I can’t even exchange. Unless you can add the individual measurements back, I’m afraid you just lost one very lucrative customer.

• Megan 11/18/2010 at 11:59 pm #

I second this comment!
      It is very frustrating for international customers – it’s just not viable should a return or exchange be needed – the risk isn’t worth it!

I’m also an Australian buyer and there is nothing more frustrating than finding clothing that will fit you only to have that assurance taken away.

69. Kerrie 11/18/2010 at 10:14 am #

I’d like to chime in and echo a lot of other comments. I love the new “your measurements” feature, but please bring the old system back because as others have said, you carry so many different brands that the generalized sizing chart is quite arbitrary. We all have different shapes and contours, as do each of the garments you carry, and the old system was ideal for finding the right fit the first time.

70. heather 11/18/2010 at 11:41 am #

I’m not a fan of the new sizing system. I thought the old way was much better because each dress/item has a different sizing system and I liked how you measured it under details. Now you have the simple basic chart that we fit into, yet the designers don’t follow that and a piece/item can come that will not fit.

71. Erin McD 11/18/2010 at 12:15 pm #

So… you’ve gotten a pretty clear message in the feedback. Will you be giving specific measurements again soon? 100 unhappy customers voicing their concerns on a blog which usually averages between 4-10 comments per entry has got to mean something.

72. Heather 11/18/2010 at 1:37 pm #

I’m also going to add my vote here for the old system. This is probably restating what a lot of people have said above, but the measurements of the individual clothes (although not always correct) gave a pretty good idea of what would fit you, and is a feature that I thought other online shops could stand to learn from Modcloth on. The new system is very disappointing.

73. Gwendo 11/18/2010 at 1:49 pm #

I concur, individual size measurements are the best way to shop online. Please don’t undo the progress that you’ve made in the world of internet indie retail.

74. Anna 11/18/2010 at 2:26 pm #

I too loved the individual measurements and felt comfortable ordering because of them. Size charts are only useful for single manufacturers whose sizes can be expected to be consistent. What about for people whose busts are small, waists are medium, hips are large? I’m sure this is true of many of your customers. Size charts are more of a one-size-fits-all solution, which is the opposite of what i’ve come to expect from your site.

75. Jodi Ann 11/18/2010 at 6:20 pm #

Hi, I hate to say it, but I agree that the old way was one of my favourite features of ordering from your site. Because so many pieces have different fits than the standard sizing reveals it was most helpful in making sure I wouldn’t have to return anything as I am ordering from Canada. And although I was sometimes disappointed that an item clearly was not going to fit me, it was nice to know before placing my order and allowed me to find something more suited to my body type. And I am pleased to say that I have never had to return an item from Modcloth due to your exact measurement chart.

76. Stephanie 11/18/2010 at 7:33 pm #

The new method is simply not precise enough for me. I am an international customer and if i’m not certain that the item will fit me, well I won’t buy it. Please come back to the individual size measurements. :(

77. Eavan 11/18/2010 at 7:47 pm #

Definitely agree with the majority here that the old individual garment measurement system was the best, and set ModCloth apart from all other online retailers. Please bring it back!

78. Annabelle Perez 11/18/2010 at 8:07 pm #

PLEASE bring back the old sizing system. The new generic sizing system does not take into account measurements from each supplier. Or at the very least, can you have both systems? Please???

79. Emily 11/18/2010 at 10:20 pm #

This is so disappointing! :-( I have a large bust compared to my waist, and I miss the old sizing system. Why don’t you provide both ModCloth size *and* individual product measurements?

80. Monique 11/18/2010 at 10:54 pm #

I too think the old sizing system is a lot better. I’m not saying that I wouldn’t goof on an outfit here and there before, but 9 times out of ten I would get it right (really important as an international buyer!)and that is mainly due to your individual measuring system. I’m a tall woman with pretty long arms to boot so something as simple as sleeve length is paramount to me (an overall length of a top/coat/dress isn’t going to cut it). Please consider bringing back the old individual system. It makes so much more of a difference.

81. Maria 11/19/2010 at 12:12 am #

Gotta chime in here, in hopes that the sheer volume of these types of comments will turn back time to before this new sizing system was implemented. I have my eye on a few items for the holidays, but I’m just not as comfortable ordering from what once was my favorite online shop. “True to size”–what does that really mean these days anyway? Please bring back the old sizing system! Until then, I’m putting my clothing budget to other uses.

82. Trish 11/19/2010 at 2:35 am #

Agreed with pretty much everyone here and don’t really have too much to add. The clothing here comes from different designers who can not be expected to have the same idea what “medium” or “large” mean. It’s pretty much impossible to standardize that, and you guys had a pretty perfect way to get around that before. I guess this new system would stream-line it more, but it’s a real detriment to your customers. I think I’ll purchase with a little less confidence now.

83. Jackie 11/19/2010 at 6:59 am #

Please please please go back to offering detailed measurements. I’ve been thinking about buying a new coat for a holiday trip to Paris. I’m tall and have long arms, so the measurements that were offered before were essential the last time I bought a coat. Now you have a generic size chart, and the few inches of leeway that are provided in each “size” can be a big difference towards if sleeves are too long and too short.

And I’m really not a fan of provided generic size comments that say things like, “Runs large, please size down,” or “Runs small, please size up.” Questions about sizing like this could easily be answered with provided measurements.

Unfortunately I think I might be looking at coats at the mall instead, since if I don’t have measurements then I’ll go to a store and try things on instead. That kind of saddens me because I like the unique items on your website so much better than what I see in most stores. I can’t be throwing money away on a clothing guessing game, though.

84. Marik 11/19/2010 at 8:46 am #

I’m also profoundly dissapointed. The bust, waist and hips mesurements are the only reasons I bought clothes online.

85. Sunita 11/19/2010 at 9:07 am #

Okay, so I got one of the measuring tapes Modcloth sent with my order. I find that the measuring tape is a good (though not perfect) substitute for the individual measurements though some things the measuring tape will not help with: arm length and shoulder width since we are not given those measurements.

If I had a choice, I would still want the individual measurements, but the measuring tape from Modcloth will work while I wait for Modcloth to, hopefully, go back to individual measurements.

86. Emily 11/19/2010 at 1:43 pm #

I’d like to add that you’ve done what Lulu*s does. You have switched to the measurement chart that is the only reason I have never, ever ordered from Lulu*s even though their prices on identical items are often lower. Your unique sizing chart gave me confidence about what a large actually meant. I say again: please keep this size chart *and* go back to the old one.

87. Erin 11/19/2010 at 2:43 pm #

I’m so disappointed! One thing that set ModCloth apart from other online clothing retailers was the item-specific sizing information. I’m sure it was a lot of work, but it made such a difference! Please change it back! PLEASE!

88. Kara 11/19/2010 at 3:06 pm #

I feel really guilty harping on this – I ADORE Modcloth and have made several purchases a month (much to my husbands dismay) since I discovered it. Though my husband and our Visa card will be happier from now on, my closet will not! Dear Modcloth, I know you keep asking all of us to give it a chance, but the overwhelming consensus seems to be that either (A) it’s stopping us from making purchases to start with or (B) We HAVE given it a chance and found it didn’t work. I also feel frustrated that Modcloth’s response to each and every thread I’ve seen (blog, Facebook, etc.) is a cut and paste of the same comment…when our posts have valid points that should be addressed.

I just received a dress that, according to the size chart, I should have been a Medium. It was too small to accommodate my ample bust (and is now out of stock)…it seems there are enough people who are angry to consider doing both methods – I love the “my measurements” but can’t depend on reviews because often times it takes customers a long time to review AND the item is often sold out before they are posted. I feel bad because I’m sure implementing the new system took a LOT of time and effort – we all as customers appreciate you trying to change things for the better. But the response is that it is NOT better for us, the consumers. All I read in the thread above is that we all want to continue buying from you – you haven’t alienated us, you’ve just made it very difficult for any of us to feel confident in our purchases.

I love your site and shop there all the time. I stuck with buying from you guys even when other sites had the same items (sometimes for less)…even when you nixed the coupon codes (which I sorely miss)…and I still visit the site every day (praying for the measurements tab to return). Please consider what we’re saying…I spend a fair bit of time considering items and don’t want to call/Live Chat for each dress I’m interested in. It’s ineffective, time consuming, and completely circumvents the idea that you want to make things ‘easier’ for yourselves and for your customers.

Pretty please, Modcloth. I have my eye on far too many items that I refuse to put in my cart…

89. Jessica 11/19/2010 at 3:08 pm #

Hideously bad change. Days after the change has been implemented you are still receiving negative comments and nothing has been done to fix the situation. Very disappointed in you guys. I also feel very sorry for the international customers. Modcloth, buck up, admit the change was wrong for your customers and fix it!

• Megan 12/02/2010 at 10:23 pm #

Certainly still waiting for them to respond.

No response thus far that is not along the lines of “it’s all in progress still la di da di da!”

It is pitiful. The best thing you can do is spread the word on Twitter/Facebok/other sites.

It’s unfortunate anyone should have to resort to negative word of mouth but that’s what happens when you ignore your customers. They are forced to take some other action.

90. Julie 11/19/2010 at 3:10 pm #

Pretty please with a cherry on top bring back the old sizing system? I loved being able to know pretty much for sure that an item was going to fit me, because I knew the measurements of each part of it. I just don’t feel comfortable ordering without that information, which is sad because Modcloth has such cute stuff. The measurement system made the site feel like a boutique— please, please, please bring it back, I don’t want to give up Modcloth. :(

91. M 11/19/2010 at 3:51 pm #

As a petite girl with sizing issues (I get VERY angry and frustrated when I can’t find anything that fits because the numbers tacked onto their labels just aren’t right), I have never ordered clothing more frequently from one site than from Modcloth because of the measurements you provided for each garment. So far, pretty much everything I’ve ordered — like, 5 or 6 dresses…I NEVER order dresses online, except from Modcloth! — has fit me well, and I’ve never had to return anything. Having those individual measurements gave me the confidence that there would be a slim chance I’d have to return it. Now the new chart is so…vague. Like the other online catalogs. Which I never order from. Unless I can contact someone directly for specific measurements, especially bust size (tiny up top, you see), I’ll be hesitant to order from Modcloth again.

92. Ayemana 11/19/2010 at 6:48 pm #

As all of us girls are requesting for the old sizings to be back, can you kindly get a reply from modcloth??
    I think we have put out enough concern for Modcloth to respond to us with some sort of answer by now.
    Thanking you kindly

93. Tasha 11/19/2010 at 7:25 pm #

Maybe the first person to buy an item and post the flat measurements in their review could get a discount on their purchase?

94. Zebra 11/19/2010 at 7:47 pm #

I had intended on doing all of my Christmas shopping at modcloth this year; however without the individual measurements this won’t be happening for all of the reasons already listed. Does anyone know of other good websites with individual measurements and international shipping?

PS – how many people would actually use the generic sizing chart if the individual measurements came back?

95. CherryCarrie 11/19/2010 at 8:10 pm #

I have to say I’m not happy with the new sizing system. I’ve ordered countless items from Modcloth over the years and one of the reasons I choose Modcloth is because I have a good idea if it is going to fit. With all the different designers, cuts, fabrics, etc. it’s impossible to have size ‘categories’ for all of the lovely items. A dress could be a true large from one company and a small medium from the next. I have a fairly large bust and without the bust measurement I have no idea if it will fit. Not knowing will mean more returns which will mean more shipping $$ for me and eventually it won’t be worth it anymore. That makes me very sad since I adore Modcloth and have recommended it to everyone I know. Please bring back the individual measurements!! Pretty please?

96. Jo 11/20/2010 at 4:30 pm #

I’m happy to see that I’m certainly not the only one who dislikes the new system! The first thing I always do after coming across an item I like it check the individual measurements, and I’ve been really confused and disappointed with the new system. We all know that a small in one item is a medium in another. So doesn’t it seem to be a step backward to make a general chart?

97. Jessica 11/20/2010 at 9:26 pm #

Seriously, why haven’t the measurements been changed back to the way they were before?! Clearly no one is happy with this!

98. Megan 11/21/2010 at 3:59 am #

The post should be kept available on the front page of the blog (or a link provided) if Modcloth are really looking for constructive feedback.

How can anyone give feedback when the original post is buried under a swath of new ones?

It’s all a bit disingenuous. I’ve seen on twitter that Modcloth have recommended that people ask a stylist for exact measurements. This isn’t a viable alternative. How much extra work are the customers going to be doing here? The buying process is uncertain and people change their minds constantly. Being forced to ask for exact measurements is more work and reduces the credibility of the site and its products.

99. Emily 11/21/2010 at 3:26 pm #

Grr. The ModStylists weren’t online, so I contacted customer support. All I wanted were flat measurements on the Fiery Personality Frock. What I got was this:

Hi Emily,

Thanks for contacting us. Recently, we decided that to make sizing easier for our customers that we would change the way we provide measurements. In the past, we provided measurements flat across the bust, however this was misleading and confusing to the majority of our customers – many of whom are in the habit of shopping online with the reference of a size chart.

We’ve done our best to provide a thorough and accurate sizing chart, but also continue to provide any pertinent details about an item’s fit – if the fabric provides stretch or the garment runs large or small – in the ‘Details’ portion of a product’s page.

I’m sorry for any inconvenience, and please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Good luck – and happy shopping!

Really? Good luck? I’ll need it to figure out what size to buy – or not to buy, as the case is going to be if I can’t get someone to get me flat measurements.

• Jackie 11/21/2010 at 3:42 pm #

To Emily: Well that’s odd, especially since on Facebook they’ve been telling people they can contact them if they need the measurements. Guess that’s not actually true.

• ModCloth 11/21/2010 at 4:11 pm #

Hey Emily and Jackie!

The ModStylists are definitely available to get you those measurements! Since our team is still small, though, their hours of availability are Monday – Friday, 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM EST. You can reach them by phone at 1-866-344-4317, message them on Facebook, or speak to them via Live Chat.

We’re sorry for the inconvenience!

Love,
      ModCloth

• Sunita 11/21/2010 at 4:12 pm #

@ Emily. Today, I emailed the Modcloth support team and specifically asked for measurements for a dress in small and medium. Someone got back to me today (on a Sunday!) and gave me the flat measurements. I wonder why you weren’t given the flat measurements for the piece you were interested in.

• Emily 11/21/2010 at 5:03 pm #

I’m so glad it was just a fluke! I’ll ask on FB. I really appreciate the response, ModCloth.

• Jessica 11/22/2010 at 9:01 am #

It’s so annoying that you have to ask for this information, and now you can only get the info at a certain time of day. What TERRIBLE customer service!

100. Shiori 11/21/2010 at 7:48 pm #

I think everybody who has commented on this blog post has shared the same irritation as I have when stumbling across the new size chart. Why don’t you put customers first & just bring it back? The new size chart does not pertain to every body, so it makes no sense to have it. I’m very disappointed that Modcloth has decided to “re-vamp” such an extraordinary perk, only to downgrade.

101. MaryAnne 11/22/2010 at 3:57 am #

Why is there no response? This seems fishy. I think it is clear that everyone is upset and you need to make it right or at least ANSWER questions!

102. Erin 11/22/2010 at 9:48 am #

I won’t shop with MC until the sizes return. Which is unfortunate because, until now, this has been my stop for unique, fool proof pieces online. It’s ridiculous that because some customers were used to a traditional size chart that now those of us who did know how to use the accurate measurements before are subjected to guessing based on “runs large”, “runs small”. Considering ModCloth sells UK sizes and many, many different vendors, this general size chart is a total downgrade, obviously inaccurate and vague, and a disservice to ALL customers. I’ve commented on this before, but I’m disappointed that all of our comments have not been heard.

103. Kirsten 11/22/2010 at 10:55 am #

Noooo! Like so many other posters, the whole reason I shop with you guys is your measurement system! I have a large chest and small waist, and your measurements have helped me find awesome stuff that actually fits (and kept me from ordering stuff that was really cute but that obviously wouldn’t fit!) It’s probably a lot more work on your end to take the measurements, but isn’t that less work than processing returns that could have been avoided?

104. Angela 11/22/2010 at 1:44 pm #

The individual item measurements both enabled me to buy things I wouldn’t have believed would work for me and prevented me from buying things I would just have to return based on fit, which is a waste of shipping money on my part and effort on ModCloth’s part. Item-specific measurements was one of the best things about this site. The sizing varies so widely from one product to another that I can’t imagine how a “standard sizing” chart could be helpful to anyone except superficially for the shopper who doesn’t know their own measurements (which is not hard or unreasonable for them to figure out). I am not within a range of inches, I am very specific numbers. Buying anything on Modcloth is too much a gamble now.

If nothing else has become clear from the comments, it’s that the ModCloth regular customers are aware of their measurements and have always depended on the site for that service. I was aghast to see the waist and bust measurements standardized. Though the prices are higher on Modcloth (presumably to cover the free returns process), I still prefer to shop here because I can access specific measurements. Couldn’t the chart be a guide for the people who requested it but the specific item measurements continue? Why must it be one or the other?

105. Katherine 11/22/2010 at 7:51 pm #

I agree. I do very little online shopping expect for ModCloth. The only reason I have felt comfortable shopping with MC is the previously wonderful individual item measurements charts. As much as I want to (and I see stuff I want) I WILL NOT shop with MC until the individual measurements returns. Please Modcloth, please.

106. Eileen 11/22/2010 at 8:36 pm #

I’ve watched the video, read the posts, and tweeted about this. I am still not convinced! The system sounds good in many ways but there is still a huge hole in the logic here!

What about new items? If a garment has not been reviewed you CANNOT tell if it will fit! And with many new items they sell out so quickly, so you don’t get the chance to read a review before you order! Standard sizing is all well and good but I’ve seen a LOT of items on ModCloth that don’t fit the chart – when the measurements were listed there were many items, that are size large with a waist of 14″ or 15″ THAT IS NO WHERE NEAR the stated ‘standard’.

How can we trust this new system? Isn’t there some way for this new feature to be an addition to the previous information and not just a replacement? And WHY is ModCloth being so silent about all the concerns expressed here?

I am REALLY frustrated by how totally unresponsive you seem to be on this issue! VERY, VERY, VERY DISAPPOINTING!

107. Amy 11/23/2010 at 5:05 am #

Another vote here – please bring back the old sizing chart. The “new system” seems like a DOWNGRADE and honestly makes your company look downright lazy!

108. Sunita 11/23/2010 at 6:01 pm #

Hey Ladies! I ordered some things, based on the new sizing chart, and they arrived today. I ordered one dress based on the new chart and one top based on the new chart. Both fit pretty well. The dress is a bit loose in the top, but i expected that since I do not perfectly match the sizes on the chart, and the top fits well, but that may be because the top comes in two sizes: s/m and m/l. Since I am between a small and medium, I think the top worked out. I think we should give it a chance before completely abandoning Modcloth (I don’t have the willpower to avoid Modcloth LOL). I am still against the new sizing chart, but since it’s not going anywhere, I am just going to give it a chance. So far, I have good luck. I hope it continues, especially if the new sizing chart is a permanent change.

• CherryCarrie 11/23/2010 at 8:33 pm #

Thank you for the feedback, Sunita. Just wondering if you are in the US. I’m in Canada and delivery to me is usually $20-$25 and then if it doesn’t fit, it’s another $20-$25 to send it back. Without the specific measurements, that’s a lot of money to gamble on a size category.
      It is really difficult to resist Modcloth, but I’m afraid that might be the only way to get the measurements back.

109. ModCloth 11/23/2010 at 7:59 pm #

Hi, Everyone!

Again, thanks so much for all of your feedback. It really means a lot to us that you are so passionate! We are very lucky to have concerned customers like you, and please know what we are taking your comments into consideration!

In the meantime, we wanted to remind you that if you should ever need detailed or flat measurements of a garment, all you have to do is call our Customer Care at 1-888-495-9699, and they can help you! Starting Black Friday, they will be available 24/7 to give you specific product info or fit recommendations. Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any of your sizing questions!

We greatly appreciate what you have to say, and thank you so much for your honesty.

Love,
    ModCloth

110. Emily 11/23/2010 at 8:08 pm #

Whoa. Customer Care will be available 24/7 from Black Friday onward? That is, on (say) February 1st, 2011, at 9pm EST, I can call them? If so, that’s awesome and solves a major problem about how to get sizing info on weekends, etc.

111. CherryCarrie 11/23/2010 at 8:24 pm #

What!??! If the measurements are available by phone, then please, just post them on the site? I’m begging you. If I wanted to take the time to sort items out by talking to a customer service rep, I’d go to a shop.
    I’m still unhappy. And still not shopping.

• Megan 12/02/2010 at 10:27 pm #

Have to agree with this.

It is inconvenient and certainly not transparent – just put the measurements on the site.

112. Michelle R 11/23/2010 at 9:32 pm #

Wow, not to jump on the bandwagon or anything.. lol. But I agree with just about everyone here. I’m not at all pleased to see the individual measurements go away. I am pleased to see that so many customers agree, maybe that will prompt you to bring it back. I am tall, slender and have rather specific measurements that fit me properly (long arms, for example). The specific measurements you used to have were SO helpful in determining what would fit and what wouldn’t. For as much as I appreciate the availability of 24/7 Customer Service, I do not want to have to call in EVERY time I have a question about sizing. One of the main reason I browse this site is because of the specific sizing chart. :o\ SUPER bummed you took it away.

113. Erin 11/24/2010 at 8:30 am #

So, basically, if you want to order anything and get accurate measurements, you have to take extra time to contact customer service – how is this fair? I agree, if measurements are available by phone, why not make it easier and just put them online? Everyone is bummed and we have received no response other than ModCloth reiterating what they’ve said before, to call customer service. ModCloth’s regular customers are obviously not as important as new shoppers with no grasp on how measurements work and they would rather lead all customers into the dark with an inaccurate, generalized system instead of the one that was in place for forever. It’s a shame that there’s no middleground and that the regulars who enjoyed shopping here prior are now left feeling unheard and unimportant. Shameful.

114. EmilyR 11/24/2010 at 10:08 am #

While I have already posted, and expressed my dislike for the new system. I would like to jump to the aide of the ModCloth team here. They obviously worked really hard on the next system, and while we have all responded very passionately, getting mad at the team for not responding quick enough is not an OK thing to do.
    Sunita ordered some things, and seemed to have good results. Like someone else said, it is very clear that ModCloth customers are aware of their measurements. This should mean you should be well aware of where your body would fit into any sizing chart. The details still have material and cut information, and if you know your body well enough you should know what is and isn’t appropriate.

I think that if everyone spent 5 more minutes looking closely at the sizing chart, and defining your own measurements before you jump into a buy, this system could really work.

• Wittney 11/24/2010 at 2:45 pm #

I have compared Modcloth’s size chart to several other retailers I shop at (both low and high dollar) and while most size charts are uniform from brand to brand, I still have clothing in my closet that ranges from L to 2XL. How is this size chart any different? I know my body and I also know that every designer is different. Every brand it’s own special thing. I have seen a L on here with a 15 inch bust and a 19 inch bust. That’s an 8 inch difference. I don’t think the size chart covers that. I have not met one woman who has not had to send something back in the mail because something didn’t fit her just right, even if she did go by the sizechart. My 80 y/o Grandmother doesn’t even know what size she wears anymore and only goes by measurements of the garments. I kid you not, the woman whips out a tiny measuring tape at the store. It’s hilarious, but now I know why she does it. My mother bought an XL coat the other day and she is 5’5″ and 115 pounds. Craziness, pure craziness.

115. Emily 11/24/2010 at 12:06 pm #

Other Emily :-), I disagree that it’s carelessness on our part causing problems with buying. I looked at a dress I ordered, and it was tighter on my hips than the size chart would indicate it would be, which kind of freaks me out. But I do agree that people should give ModCloth credit – for the 24/7 customer service. That’s huge! Let’s put up with inconvenience until they fix stuff in whatever way they plan to. :-)

116. Emily 11/24/2010 at 12:09 pm #

Again @EmilyR, we know our size, but ModCloth hasn’t provided enough information (yet) about what measurements deviate from the size chart. Fit often determines what’s appropriate. For instance, I’m never a fan of empire-waist dresses, but I can rock a wiggle dress IF the hips are big enough (I measure about 38-29-39). So I just need that info. I’ll be calling Customer Care when I need to.

117. Steph 11/24/2010 at 12:33 pm #

@EmilyR – the sizing chart is useless if you’re on one end of the spectrum of a size. I KNOW my measurements, but when the chart lists a measurement as say 32-34 inches or something similar for one size, it’s completely totally and utterly useless because if you end up being at the 34 end of the spectrum but the item is at the 32, it makes no difference that it’s TECHNICALLY your size. It’s still not going to fit.

As to ModCloth’s answer about being able to call customer support, my question is this: What about us international customers? We’re the ones who most need the sizing chart because refunds are REALLY expensive because of postage, and we’re not going to spend the money making an overseas call to your customer support line.

Seriously confused as to why this hasn’t been mended. I understand that you guys work hard, and I appreciate it very much and I’ve always loved your customer service. But this whole affair is getting ridiculous. The people have spoken. Add in the individual measurements in addition to the sizing chart.

• Allie 11/25/2010 at 8:16 pm #

I wholeheartedly agree, Steph. Why make a (presumably lengthy) international call when it will likely cost the same as shipping the item back for a refund? It’s not cheaper or easier, it’s just a further inconvenience for international customers.

118. Steph 11/24/2010 at 12:34 pm #

Sorry I meant “We’re the ones who most need the individual measurements” -facepalm- brain scrambled sorry!

119. Cara 11/29/2010 at 5:10 pm #

Having tried the new sizing chart, I can now offically say: I am not a fan. I used the chart – as suggested – and the items I ordered, not only do not fit, the fit is all over the place. I expected this – since the garments are all made by different designers it’s silly to assume a medium from one designer is the same as a medium from another, but with the new chart, it’s all that can be done. With no indication of how or where a particular garment “runs small” – or how that conclusion was reached (was it measured? If so – post the measurements along with the size chart and be done with it. Is it taken from reviews? If that is the case – I think you’re just being lazy modcloth) It’s difficult to impossible to choose the correct size.

I’d like to say that this change made it easier, but honestly it’s made it so that I’m extremely wary of purchasing anything from the site again.

120. Maria 11/29/2010 at 5:36 pm #

I agree with everyone else. Now that there are no bust measurements I can only buy things that I already put on my wishlist, which isn’t going to last forever. It’s inconvenient to call customer service for every little garment to know the bust size, especially when the majority of dresses/tops you have wouldn’t fit my bust in the first place. I would have to call way too often and I don’t have the time for that. I think you should at least put the bust measurement back.

121. Kelly 11/30/2010 at 12:07 pm #

I loved the old sizing. That way I could measure my current or old clothes (especially from Modcloth) and know what will fit me and it was 99% accurate! Once I used customer reviews it was 100% accurate. This new sizing policy doesn’t help me at all, just as it never helped me with any other online/catalog retailer. My measurements don’t really fit exactly in the sizes they state. I need to know the exact size of the garment. That information was much more helpful and made it easier for me to pick clothes from Modcloth. I agree with the posts above, I will have to stick with my wishlist from now on and will likely not take the risk on new clothing in the future from Modcloth. Which is a shame, because I really love the clothes here. It was the only place I could buy online without trying on first.

122. Ayemana 12/01/2010 at 5:08 am #

So disappointed that not even one response to what we are all craving for so much. Is it that modcloth really does not care anymore or is it that it has become way to commercial to be indie anymore? Feel very let down, as the comment above, please bring the back the bust size atleast. Please please listen. We beg of you. Havent bought anything since the size change. Really is not a viable option to call or email everytime for a size.

• Erin McD 12/08/2010 at 7:49 pm #

“Really is not a viable option to call or email everytime for a size.”

Though I don’t think the problem lies in the over-commercialization of Modcloth, I agree with this part of what you said. Although when I have used the “Chat with a Modcloth stylist” feature I have received helpful and prompt information, I just don’t see the point of making customers go through the hassle and, frankly, embarassment of contacting real people over and over for multiple garment measurements. If Modcloth is frustrated with people being confused by the measurements, the answer may be just hiding that information in a sizing chart button like the one they use now (just with the individual garment’s measurements). That way, customers who don’t want to bother figuring out their measurements can still use the streamlined sizing recommendations, while those of us who realize that we are not shaped like a set of chart numbers can still buy clothes we know will fit. I suspect this will be costing them a fortune in returns after the holidays, as ladies return items from wishlists compiled without accurate sizing information. Maybe we’ll see a compromise then.

123. EmilyR 12/01/2010 at 5:29 am #

Again, while I agree with absolutely EVERYTHING everyone is saying, I am jumping to the aide of Modcloth.
    Can we really expect instant change back to the old system? Give them a chance to decide what is best for the company. If that happens to be a universal sizing chart, then I am sure they now know that it will be at the expense of many many customers. We’ve made that very clear.

124. EmilyR 12/01/2010 at 5:32 am #

Oh also…. If worst comes to worst, using the My Measurements system when posting reviews will be helpful to those who are still undecided.

I know I can’t resist Modcloth clothes enough to be able to stop buying.

125. Eileen 12/02/2010 at 1:01 pm #

Hi all
    I just used the on-line help – which is great and I really appreciated their assistance in getting the measurements

However…. the measurements they gave me were outside the size chart range for that size!!!!! If I’l ordered based on the size chart I would have been screwed and, as someone said earlier, international returns are crazy expensive!

I really, really hope that ModCloth is reading all of these posts! I love the site and want to continue to be a customer but this experience just proves that you can’t trust the new system. :-(

• Megan 12/02/2010 at 10:20 pm #

Wow! That’s ridiculous! I can’t believe the measurements given to you were outside the chart range!

Everyone’s totally flying blind here, trying to make a purchase.

I certainly won’t be for Christmas anymore.

126. Star 12/03/2010 at 7:18 am #

One thing I really loved about this website was the fact that individual measurements were give for each size, especially waistline! Definately made the difference in picking a size such a cinch!! Secondary problem is that this website has very very slow basic shipping, and an longer return process. Overall, I really miss the individual sizing, as it truely was a unique, and very valuable aspect of this website. :(

127. Alison 12/03/2010 at 8:00 am #

I’m with everyone else. When I share my Modlove with others the first comment is always that they are afraid to buy online for sizing. I would always proudly say…not with ModCloth, they individually measure everything. It was the greatest. I guess you guys have to weigh out where you get more complaints but I loved the old system and I vote to bring it back!

128. Dana 12/03/2010 at 1:53 pm #

Dear ModCloth,
    For your own sake, search wikipedia or other websites for the terms pure competition and monopolistic competition. If you can’t understand how your old sizing system benefited you after that, I won’t be surprised to not see modcloth ten years from now.

129. Emily 12/03/2010 at 5:42 pm #

Dana, though you might have phrased it a bit more delicately, I’m with you. In fact, I think that’s what we’re all saying. ModCloth used to have a monopoly on retro/indie clothing with individual measurements. It was the reason I ordered from here but have never and will never order from a couple of other places I’m not allowed to mention. :-P The clothing was similar, but by looking at ModCloth’s size chart on items that were stocked at both sites, I knew that some of the items at the competitor site wouldn’t fit me even though that size chart said they would. Now there’s no one in that niche.

It’s unfortunate.

130. Nicole 12/06/2010 at 5:09 pm #

The old sizing system was critical – it prevented me from ordering the wrong size numerous times. Now I’m unsure and don’t want to go through the hassle of sending items back, so I’ll likely order much less often now.

131. Erin McD 12/08/2010 at 7:35 pm #

Ladies, it’s becoming apparent that the garment measurements are not coming back. If we’re going to make this work, we’ve got to start including our measurements and photos in our reviews. Even a phone photo is helpful. I’ll be creating a new account so that I can re-review my purchased items with my measurements and pictures included. I urge you to do the same. A measuring tape is about a dollar at any craft store. Do it up.

• Anne L 12/09/2010 at 1:56 pm #

I really feel like the onus should not be on the customer to “make this work,” though, which is something I don’t feel has been addressed at all by ModCloth. Shopping isn’t my job – providing us with a useful, easy, shopping experience is theirs. Now that I have to do guesswork or contact ModCloth every time I’m thinking about buying something or putting something on my wishlist, the shopping experience is no longer easy for me, and I will have to stick to eBay or Etsy for vintage items with measurements.

• Wittney 12/09/2010 at 5:04 pm #

Exactly. This is their JOB. They get paid. It’s not like this is a NFP organization or something. Modcloth was unique in the aspect of individual measurements. Now, they’re just like everyone else. So much for being different.

132. Shannon 12/11/2010 at 12:15 pm #

I hate the new sizing system! It is impossible to tell what size to order for each garment. I have large bust and hip sizes, but a small waist…it is extremely difficult for me to know what sizes to order without these specific measurements. Previously, with the specific measurements, I have needed a wide range of sizes in Modcloth items, from Small to Large. Now I have no way of knowing which size would fit me. My willingness to purchase anything has considerably dropped with the new measurement system. I do like the option for reviewers to post their sizes, but think the specific measurements are an integral part of what makes Modcloth a unique and worthwhile place to shop.

133. Jessica 12/13/2010 at 3:07 pm #

I agree with Amanda too, please bring back the old measurements features. It was much more useful for me to have all the measurements rather than just the length. It isn’t enough information for me to discern whether or not I will make a purchase and so, Modcloth gets less purchases because if I was on the fence about an article before, the measurements determined whether or not I purchased. Whereas now, I just won’t purchase because I don’t want to be disappointed.

134. Megan 12/13/2010 at 9:27 pm #

i really miss having the measurements of the bust and waist for each dress. The new sizing measurements are great is you just want a vague quick size, but each dress is so different. I want to know the exact size of something before I order it without being able to try it on. Also, the new sizing is not helpful for the vintage pieces, which use the old sizing. Now I can’t compare sizes of different dresses to see if they will fit. I say bring back the old method, but keep the new sizing chart as a reference.

135. Megan 12/13/2010 at 9:29 pm #

I will definitely be a lot more skeptical and critical before I buy something from now on, if I do buy anything else at all, now that I don’t know what size it is.

136. Jaimie 12/20/2010 at 3:32 pm #

Despite the love I have for ModCloth, I just can’t bring myself to buy anymore thanks to the removal of individual sizing. How could it possibly be deemed “more helpful” to have on general size chart as opposed to measurements specifically tailored to each garment and size? I am generally a Large, but have purchased items from different designers at ModCloth in Medium, XL, 8, 10, 12, etc because of how widely they vary. I’m really disappointed with this supposed innovation, I will find other sites with more accurate measurements until ModCloth brings back their wonderfully precise sizing.

• Jaimie 12/20/2010 at 3:35 pm #

Additionally, putting the burden of providing accurate measurements on your customers is just a bad idea. It was obviously designed to save you all time and effort, but YOU are the company, WE are the consumers, and therefore the burden should be on you to provide the information and make me want to buy the product (with confidence). It is unlikely that a poster will have the exact same measurements as me, even if many people post, and therefore I am unlikely to ever have the ease of sizing and ordering that I once did on this site. Bye bye for now, ModCloth

137. Eileen 12/23/2010 at 3:13 pm #

21 Days ago I posted a blog here where I described a situation where the clothing I was interested did NOT fall into the measurements given in the size chart.

I found this out by talking to someone on the on-line help (a feature that is very nice).

My experience showed clearly that the new system DOES not provide enough information and taking the time to talk to the ‘help desk’ is not always practical (especially if there is a sale on!!!!).

In the 21 days since my post I have heard NOTHING from ModCloth. The posts about the new system have continued (although not a the same rate or intensity). When I commented on the disparity between the dress and the size chart to the help desk I was told “Ya we know and we’re working on it”.

Are you working on it? One wonders…… Does anyone from ModCloth read these posts anymore? Or are you thinking that by ignoring us we’ll just stop complaining?

I just don’t understand – the way this has been handled seems to go against all my past experience of the customer service at ModCloth!

When will someone from the company speak to us or better yet tell us when change is coming??????

Please end your silence.

138. Jess 12/23/2010 at 10:50 pm #

I LOVED the individual measurements. I haven’t bought anything from ModCloth yet and I don’t think I will for a while. I don’t want to buy an item to be disapointed (not worth the shipping cost.)
    Please bring them back. :(
    I do like the ‘My measurements’ thing, though.

139. Gwendo 01/06/2011 at 1:59 am #

I would like to point out that I am concerned enough about ModCloth’s adherence to this new, flawed sizing system that I hunted down this blog post so that I could again comment on it and let them know that I am patiently waiting for them to reinstate their old, PERFECT, individual sizing system. It wasn’t broken; you didn’t need to fix it.

I eagerly await the day that I will feel safe buying clothes from you again.

140. Jennifer 01/06/2011 at 3:16 am #

Apologies in advance for my negative tone. But, in all honesty, can you really blame me?

I can’t imagine many international customers still purchasing clothing items here, unless they can afford the gross shipping costs to exchange sizes (which I sure can’t).
    Which (it should go without saying, but since people have said it fifty times over with no response I guess it does), wouldn’t even be an issue if the old sizing system were still around.

We’ve voiced our opnion on the unhelpful and innacurate sizing chart time and time again, yet we have still not recieved any real response from anyone about our displeasure.

Well, as many before me, I refuse to take a chance with my money on an item that probably won’t fit although the chart tells me it will. Expect no orders from me until this is acknowledged and resolved.

This is what the young kids would call a “customer-service-fail”.

141. Sunita 01/06/2011 at 9:39 am #

I have to weigh in again. I was/am not a fan of the new sizing system, but I have adapted. I have no problem with asking for measurements if I am unsure. If a piece sells out while I wait, then so be it. After all, this is fashion we are talking about not food, or clean water or something equally necessary. Don’t misunderstand me; fashion is very important to me, but I also know that a dress selling out before I can buy one is not the end of the world.

Many, many many unhappy people have voiced their opinions, but the old system has not come back and may never (who knows?). I am sure Modcloth has seen the posts. Instead of clogging the blog and Modcloth’s Facebook page with such negativity (there are polite ways to complain) speak with your wallets.

142. Meg 01/10/2011 at 1:13 am #

I do not understand why ModCloth made this switch in sizing. It’s like they just took away all of the necessary information and expect us to just guess now and hope it fits. In the past, I have bought multiple dresses here because I felt so confident in the sizing. Since the sizing has changed and does not tell you anything, I will have not and will not be buying anymore clothing from ModCloth.

We are ordering these clothes online, without the luxury of being able to try it on. We should at least be able to know what the dimensions of it are in order to get the best fit.

Not all dresses are created equal. Don’t lump them all into vague categories.