A Well-Packed Suitcase

HOMEWARD BOUND – This suitcase includes the Classic Beauty Dress, New School Cardigan, Stripe the Good Stripe Top, The Art of Knots Coat, Pretty Pleats Skirt, In the Marketplace Skirt, Nocturnal Daybreak Jeans, Delightfully Warm Tights in Oatmeal, Onwards and Upwards Boot, Well-to-do Shoe, Dually Knotted Bag, Fall in Glove in Grey, Velvet Touch Headband, We’ll Always Have Paris Magnets, and the Dress for Dinner Cardigan.

With all of the excitement surrounding the Thanksgiving holiday, it’s no wonder that so many are overwhelmed by the perils of packing when faced with a suitcase, a closetful of clothes, and a week’s worth of vacation. Fear not, intrepid vacationers! With this brief guide, we’ll share our fashion tips for making the most of a carry-on.

IT’S IN THE BAG: When it comes to luggage, choose wisely. We recommend a carry-on with wheels, especially if traveling by plane. One that allows for a little bit of give is less likely to get banged up, cracked, or worse, not be able to accommodate last-minute purchases while on vacay.

MIX AND MATCH: Space is in short supply, so every garment counts. Three tops and three bottoms are excellent for placing in a multitude of permutations. For example, a girly cardigan can double as a sweet sweater on its own when fully buttoned over a tank, or provide extra warmth when worn partially buttoned with a variety of ensembles. Sticking to a basic color palette–in this case, black, white, and red–simplifies concerns about clashing, while using basic wardrobe staples such as skinny jeans, or a basic black skirt with a twist, acknowledges changes in climate, level of casualness, and fluctuating temperatures. It’s also likely that limiting your wardrobe will challenge your sartorial creativity–and that’s always a good thing!

Don’t forget about jewelry, belts, and headwear. Accessories are excellent, compact tools for enhancing an outfit!

THAT ONE FROCK: Yes, it’s about space, but there’s also probably going to be a special occasion for which you’ll want a fancy frock. One semi-formal, or cocktail, dress, is bound to serve you well at a fine dinner, a symphony with your folks, or wine and cheese with your childhood friends. You can also have it do double duty and dress it down (see the ModStylists’ tips on going from day to night).

SHOES: We recommend two pairs for space-saving reasons: elegant flats for general wear, and boots on your feet while traveling in case of intrepid weather. Can’t live without your high heels? Make room in your purse, borrow some from a friend or family member, or, if you’re going to a sunny locale for holiday, forgo the boots.

We hope that these tips have helped lessen any packing anxiety that may have been plaguing you–and that you have a fabulous vacation! What minimalist packing tips do you have for us?

Share:FacebookPinterestTwitterGoogle+tumblr

12 Responses to A Well-Packed Suitcase

1. Laura V. (ModCloth) 11/19/2010 at 6:52 pm #

Cute post! I’m an infamous over-packer, so I’ll try my best not to pack my entire shoe collection from now on…

2. Rachel (ModCloth) 11/19/2010 at 8:50 pm #

As someone who has been traveling A LOT lately, the best packing tip I can give is that no one is likely to remember what you wore the day before, and certainly not two days before! Instead of bringing totally different outfits for each day, pack staples that you can wear a few times during the trip (ex. cardi, skinny jeans, LBD) along with one stand-out piece per day (ex. sequined tank, striped sundress, bright pashmina). Leggings and tights are major space-savers! Also, I have found that choosing one primary color scheme (ex. black or brown) works well, especially for keeping the shoe count down. Safe travels everyone!

3. B. 11/20/2010 at 9:45 am #

I’m always packing way too much stuff in my suitcase even though I try to do it like Rachel :-S Next time I’ll try to remember the tipps you shared here.
    By the way, I love the pieces, especially the red dress

4. Roxanne the Dainty Librarian 11/20/2010 at 11:45 am #

This holiday season I will be packing my suitcase mostly with gifts for my family, so this will definitely help me out!

5. Sarah (ModCloth) 11/21/2010 at 4:08 pm #

I, too, always pack way too much – but usually end up wearing the same couple of staples anyway. I love the idea of working inside of a palette – great idea!

6. Sian 11/22/2010 at 4:50 am #

Very good tips! Im such a “just in case” packer and always end up taking sooo much stuff I don’t need. Hopefully one day I’ll learn!!

sundaesurf.blogspot.com

7. C 11/22/2010 at 10:27 am #

One word: http://www.onebag.com/

8. Ashley Laurel 11/22/2010 at 6:57 pm #

This post couldn’t have come at a better time! Not only is this helpful for me as I’m traveling across country twice this season, but I’m definitely passing these tips along to my sister.

9. Sarah 11/23/2010 at 12:19 pm #

I love packing for trips! I try to plan out in just this sort of way, so I just love this post. The stuff you picked is so darn cute together, I might try to recreate from my own wardrobe for my trip home this Christmas!

One thing that I struggle with is that I currently live on the East Coast, but I’m from the West Coast, so every time I go home, everything I brought suddenly feels a little fussy-especially for playing with little nieces and nephews! So, also important to take into account what you’ll really be up to each day on your trip!

10. steph 11/23/2010 at 12:53 pm #

this is a great post! can’t wait to use this for winterbreak packing when I go home from Uni for three weeks. That’s always the toughest to pack for! I could use some more mix-and-match in my life :-)

11. Lizelle 11/24/2010 at 7:23 am #

There are some great ideas here! In the next few weeks I will be travelling from one hemisphere to another, and staying for four months to boot. So I have some epic packing on my to-do list. This is just what I needed.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Holiday Baggage « Courtney's Blog - 11/22/2010

[...] ModCloth Blog explains a few tips for packing to help any girl look stylish out and about. One key element they mention, is to provide a variety in your clothing. By having a sweater, it can be doubled up and used for more than once occassion. By using the same article of clothing for more than use, it will help with saving space and allow for other essential items to be brought. It also can help with outfits to make more dressed up and dressed down. [...]