Will you be traveling by plane, train, or automobile this week due to Thanksgiving festivities? If you’re anything like me, playlists and entire albums start to lose their allure after the first few hours, which is why I depend on lengthy podcasts to break up the monotony of a long journey. So whether you’re flying to another coast, driving to Grandma’s house in the countryside, or simply catching the subway to your best friend’s apartment across town, be sure to check out these informative podcasts for an entertaining trip!
1. Indie Travel Podcast. Ever wonder what it’s like to travel by bus in Malta? Curious about backpacking through Thailand? Seasoned travelers and homebodies alike will appreciate this award-winning podcast, replete with informative tidbits.
2. The Moth. With over 70,000 subscribers and millions of downloads, it’s easy to understand why listening to episodes of The Moth can be kind of addictive. Check out this entertaining storytelling podcast for yourself, and let us know of your favorite celebrity guests in the comments below!
3. The New Yorker Fiction Podcast. In this always-engaging podcast series, fiction authors read short stories by their favorite, often inspirational, authors. The way each author interprets and reads the text is my favorite aspect of this podcast, guaranteed to make hours fly by like minutes!
4. Car Talk. If you’ve heard of this podcast, but dismissed it as something only mechanics and car connoisseurs would appreciate, you’re in for a surprise! Sure, hosts (and brothers) Tom and Ray Magliozzi talk an awful lot about cars, but they also touch upon the humorous idiosyncrasies of everyday life by talking to an array of guest callers from all walks of life.
5. This American Life. A few summers ago, two friends and I drove from Buena Vista, Colorado to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (a distance of 1568 miles) in less than twenty-five hours. How’d we do it?! Well, we drank a lot of coffee. We also listened to dozens of episodes of This American Life, all of which managed to hold our interest despite lack of sleep and general roadtrip anxieties.
For more intellectually engaging fare to load onto your iPod, check out “5 Podcasts that Will Make You Smarter in 5 Minutes.” What are your favorite podcasts for long trips?
Headphones featured above: Opportunity Rocks Headphones