'Pack-age' to the Future!

Bulky, excessive packaging and shipping materials? Why those words are a thing of the past! See ya later, skidaddle, vamoose! We’ve packed up our wasteful ways and have shipped them out, for-ev-er. From now on, receiving your ModCloth purchase in the mail will be one of the most rewarding shipping experiences in retail, for both you and the environment!

We’re setting the bar high–our new kraft-brown shipping boxes are made of 100% post-consumer recycled content. This post-consumer material is unique in that it is an end product that has completed its life cycle as a consumer item, which would have otherwise been disposed of as solid waste. Most retailers today incorporate just a ratio of eco-friendliness into their shipping methods by settling for a 30/70 split of recycled and new materials.

Oh yeah– and our new eco-friendly boxes look pretty fly too! In addition to our newly recycled packaging, the lovely logo and interior design will be printed using waste-free, biodegradable Eekoflex ink. Unlike petroleum or soy based inks, Eekoflex ink can be remade into usable product! How’s that for a colorful future?

This change in our supply chain will drastically make for a more eco-friendly future at ModCloth, and worldwide with every item that ships. When your first order in new packaging arrives, let us know what you think by leaving us a comment on this post, on our Facebook Page, or by Tweeting at us!

, ,

16 Responses to 'Pack-age' to the Future!

1. Z. 12/01/2010 at 7:25 pm #

Awesome! Now onto the plastic bags you put everything in–I could see a couple improvements there (namely, type of plastic and number of bags).

But really, I’m very glad to see this! Don’t let my comment about plastic bags overshadow the awesomeness of recycled cardboard. :)

2. Sophia 12/01/2010 at 7:42 pm #

Just got my Thanksgiving loot in the mail. Love the new packaging! Thanks for being eco-friendly! One more reason to love Modcloth. :]

3. Robin 12/01/2010 at 8:07 pm #

I’m really glad that you’ve made this change. I’ve gotten a couple of gigantic boxes from you guys, both with a lot of wasted space and excess packaging. It’s good to know you’re going green!

4. Melissa 12/02/2010 at 12:17 am #

I just received my new “Wish I May, Wish I Stripe” cardigan, and I love it. What a sweet surprise to find a tape measure in there so I can order more Modcloth! The packaging was cute and thoughtful.

5. Veronica 12/02/2010 at 7:05 am #

That’s so great!! Thanks, Modcloth, for doing your part to reduce waste! Yay! :)

6. Pam 12/02/2010 at 11:04 am #

Yay! I just received my lace shorts in the new packaging.

7. Bradley 12/02/2010 at 9:18 pm #

This is awesome! Thank you so much for doing your part. I make an effort to patronize green businesses, so now I have an extra excuse to indulge in modcloth. Yes!

8. beth 12/03/2010 at 1:45 am #

I am SO GLAD that ModCloth made this switch! I hate having to try to recycle plastic shipment bags from various retailers. I live in a small town and we have more recycling bins than ever but still it seems like we don’t have enough options. Thanks ModCloth for considering all of our recycling needs! First shipment in the new box gave me a better feeling than the plastic and I’m HAPPY!

9. Kaleigh 12/03/2010 at 11:20 am #

I just got my first Fascinator and a lovely dress in the new package… and I squealed at its cuteness… SO HAPPY to hear it’s also more eco-friendly, I was glad to see the small box in contrast to larger ones I’ve received in the past for even tiny items. Go Modcloth!

10. Lauren 12/07/2010 at 5:40 pm #

Love it!

11. Tieka, Selective Potential 12/07/2010 at 10:07 pm #

Amazing! Go ModCloth!! :)

12. Ben 12/08/2010 at 8:39 pm #

great job guys! I’m so happy to see this happen!

13. Courtney 12/08/2010 at 8:57 pm #

Did these come from and International Paper box plant??! If so thank you for your business!

14. Heather 12/08/2010 at 8:57 pm #

I got my box, and thought “How pretty! I’ll reuse this for Christmas.” but didn’t even realize it was eco-sound. Great job guys! : )

15. Jessica 12/09/2010 at 4:15 pm #

Wow, when I received my package recently, I just thought the box looked cute :) It’s even better now that I know that it’s 100% post-consumer recycled content! Thanks, ModCloth, for taking eco-friendly steps! I agree, though, you should investigate ways to reduce the plastic bags next.

16. Sarah 12/09/2010 at 5:43 pm #

This package is so cute and whimsical. Definitely better than all other packaging I have ever gotten! I love the eco-friendliness. The package is AWESOME.