Today’s Special: Persimmons

Clockwise from top left: Sugar Plum’s Persimmon Cookies, a Persimmon Margarita from SLOSHED!, and  Tasty Trial’s Persimmon Salad with Candied Walnuts and Creamy Sherry Vinaigrette.

Have you ever had a persimmon? Only recently, after spotting the fruit on numerous food blogs, have I sampled the sweet jewel and I wonder where it’s been all my life! It has a vibrant orange color, a tangerine-like flavor, and an interesting texture that I can only describe as “para-apple.”

Try a plain, whole persimmon as a healthy snack,  or incorporate them into cookies, a margarita, or a refreshing salad like the fab food bloggers mentioned above. There’s oodles of info and recipes about these berries (Yes, technically they’re a true berry! Cool, huh?).

Doesn’t the color also inspire an eye-catching hue, warm-toned look? Share with us your persimmon stories, both delicious and stylish!

, , , ,

10 Responses to Today’s Special: Persimmons

1. Lauren 12/09/2010 at 12:36 pm #

Persimmons are delicious! A coworker has a persimmon tree and brought some to share at work. Their beautiful hue also serves as fall wardrobe inspiration!

2. George 12/09/2010 at 12:58 pm #

That salad looks scrumtrulescent!

George
    Raised By Wolves

3. Blake 12/09/2010 at 2:01 pm #

How interesting. I was just asked last night, at dinner, what a persimmon was. We didn’t choose to eat the salad with persimmons, but I’ll be sure to try after seeing these photos.

4. Laura V. (ModCloth) 12/09/2010 at 3:36 pm #

I never tried persimmons either until recently moving to the West Coast – I’ve noticed persimmons and meyer lemons everywhere here!

5. Norma 12/09/2010 at 6:51 pm #

I actually just have one this past Thanksgiving. They are absolutely delicious! I’ll have to try out the cookies.

6. AnnMarie Rudstrom 12/10/2010 at 12:55 am #

I recently had my first persimmon as well. They showed up in our produce box from Full Circle Farm. I loved them and look forward to sampling them many different ways.

7. Kirstin Marie 12/10/2010 at 11:10 am #

They look delicious!! I have always wanted to try one, but can’t seem to ever find them.

8. Julianne (ModCloth) 12/10/2010 at 2:18 pm #

I honestly eat maybe two persimmons a day when they’re in season (in the late Fall/Winter). If you’ve never had one, try them, you’ll wait all year long for them. And I heard the other day that they’re better for you than apples!

9. Malee 12/10/2010 at 3:25 pm #

Thanks SO much for these recipes for this unusual fruit! My parents love persimmons. So much so that we have a persimmon tree in our backyard. I can’t wait to try some of these out!