Today’s Special: Persimmons

Clockwise from top left: Sugar Plum’s Persimmon Cookies, a Persimmon Margarita from SLOSHED!, and  Tasty Trial’s Persimmon Salad with Candied Walnuts and Creamy Sherry Vinaigrette.

Have you ever had a persimmon? Only recently, after spotting the fruit on numerous food blogs, have I sampled the sweet jewel and I wonder where it’s been all my life! It has a vibrant orange color, a tangerine-like flavor, and an interesting texture that I can only describe as “para-apple.”

Try a plain, whole persimmon as a healthy snack,  or incorporate them into cookies, a margarita, or a refreshing salad like the fab food bloggers mentioned above. There’s oodles of info and recipes about these berries (Yes, technically they’re a true berry! Cool, huh?).

Doesn’t the color also inspire an eye-catching hue, warm-toned look? Share with us your persimmon stories, both delicious and stylish!

About Angela

Someday, Angela will be tending to her sheep, llamas and alpacas on the “Yarn Farm” and raising award winning honey bees. Until then, the native Pittsburgher is enjoying all things related to knitting, her cats, Mr. Spock, red lipstick, and creativity. Writing is her first true love.

, , , ,

10 Responses to Today’s Special: Persimmons

1. Lauren 12/09/2010 at 12:36 pm #

Persimmons are delicious! A coworker has a persimmon tree and brought some to share at work. Their beautiful hue also serves as fall wardrobe inspiration!

2. George 12/09/2010 at 12:58 pm #

That salad looks scrumtrulescent!

George
    Raised By Wolves

3. Blake 12/09/2010 at 2:01 pm #

How interesting. I was just asked last night, at dinner, what a persimmon was. We didn’t choose to eat the salad with persimmons, but I’ll be sure to try after seeing these photos.

4. Laura V. (ModCloth) 12/09/2010 at 3:36 pm #

I never tried persimmons either until recently moving to the West Coast – I’ve noticed persimmons and meyer lemons everywhere here!

5. Norma 12/09/2010 at 6:51 pm #

I actually just have one this past Thanksgiving. They are absolutely delicious! I’ll have to try out the cookies.

6. AnnMarie Rudstrom 12/10/2010 at 12:55 am #

I recently had my first persimmon as well. They showed up in our produce box from Full Circle Farm. I loved them and look forward to sampling them many different ways.

7. Kirstin Marie 12/10/2010 at 11:10 am #

They look delicious!! I have always wanted to try one, but can’t seem to ever find them.

8. Julianne (ModCloth) 12/10/2010 at 2:18 pm #

I honestly eat maybe two persimmons a day when they’re in season (in the late Fall/Winter). If you’ve never had one, try them, you’ll wait all year long for them. And I heard the other day that they’re better for you than apples!

9. Malee 12/10/2010 at 3:25 pm #

Thanks SO much for these recipes for this unusual fruit! My parents love persimmons. So much so that we have a persimmon tree in our backyard. I can’t wait to try some of these out!