DIY Gift-Giving: 'Clay' You Love Someone!

Nothing says nostalgia like old-school clay crafts! If you can’t make it to see a faraway friend or your family, send your love with a personalized blast from the past. A bowl of flour, a handful of salt, under two cups of water–that’s all you ‘knead.’   Make and bake all of your holiday gifts in a night!

Old-School Clay Crafts
Recipe from Food.com

• 4 cups flour
  • 1 cup salt
  • 1 1/2 cups water

1. Combine all ingredients. Knead dough for 15 to 20 minutes. If all of the flour doesn’t seem to be kneading, add a little bit of water.

2. Roll out the dough, and cut your desired shapes! Cookie cutters work well for ornaments; X-Acto knives work well for custom shapes. To stick different pieces of dough together, dip your finger in water and use that as an adhesive. If you are making an ornament, don’t forget to puncture a hole before you place your masterpiece in the oven! (Wire hangers and toothpicks work well for this.)

3. Set your pieces on a greased baking tray.  Bake at 300ºF for 20 to 25 minutes, or until lightly golden. Your pieces may not feel hard right away, but they will harden as they cool.

3. Paint your finished pieces however you like! Acrylics work best. To apply glitter, paint or brush on a glue, such as rubber cement and then apply glitter liberally.

What cool crafts are you making this holiday season?

About Julianne

Julie is a modern day Renaissance woman and die-hard bloody mary enthusiast. When she’s not sprinkling magic fairy dust onto ModCloth’s social media channels, you can find her eclectic point of view on food, fashion, music, and DIY documented here!

9 Responses to DIY Gift-Giving: 'Clay' You Love Someone!

1. George 12/10/2010 at 6:20 pm #

Bah! Loving the Briefs.

George
    Raised By Wolves

2. Tori 12/10/2010 at 6:49 pm #

LOVE THIS DIY. I’m going to go make a ton…..so excited!

3. Violet 12/11/2010 at 12:49 am #

what am i going to create ths holiday season? im going to crochet hats in every color of the rainbow, theyre quick and easy and fun filled!! try it, everybody!

4. Becky 12/11/2010 at 12:54 am #

My boys and I made some sweet tree ornaments cut out of textured memory paper and then decorated with buttons (got a huge bag for $3). We made some old school paper chain garland too out of the textured memory paper. It all looks great with the pinecone owl ornys I got for like $6!

5. Charlotte 12/11/2010 at 10:28 am #

ahh this is so cute!! I love your gift ideas :]]

Charlotte

6. Roxanne the Dainty Librarian 12/11/2010 at 11:45 am #

This is such a great idea and would work well with something I came up with for a friend of mine. I found some really cute glittery cupcake ornaments, bought a long gold chain and strung one on for an adorable over-sized necklace. I bet making your own ornament/necklace charm would be lovely!

• Jenn (ModCloth) 12/11/2010 at 2:50 pm #

That sounds adorable, Roxanne! I used some of my leftover ornaments clay to make cat-shaped pins for the blog writers, Annie and Erin. This clay is perfect for molding lightweight-yet-sturdy jewelry!

7. Sian 12/13/2010 at 5:35 am #

These are so cute!!! I remember making things like this all the time as a youngster! I really need to start adding more DIY crafts to my blog (and life) :-)

Sian
    Sundaesurf.blogspot.com

8. Aire (ModCloth) 12/13/2010 at 6:13 pm #

Loving that Steelers ornament! :)