How to Twist and Tie Your Favorite Headscarves

If you’ve ever admired the effortlessly cool elegance of a perfectly tucked turban, or the retro flair of a youthful bow headband, check out our collection of informative DIY videos! Inspired by this awesome vintage video, blog writers Erin and Annie set out to create a lighthearted guide which demonstrates  just how fun–and easy–it is to achieve some of today’s hottest accessory styles.

Whether you’ve got short hair like Erin, or longer locks like Annie, it’s easy to master these looks. Keep reading to learn the  “The Trendsetter Wrap,” “The Tastemaker,” and “The Showstopper Turban!”

On an afternoon luncheon or an evening soiree, this simple headband adds an extra dash of whimsy. On Annie: Vintage scarf. On Erin: Haiku Scarf in White Rabbit

Turn heads and earn plenty of sartorial credit with this traditional turban. On Annie: Lotus Eddy Scarf. On Erin: Vintage scarf.

If your style is beautiful and brazen, be sure to add this technique to your accessorizing repertoire. On Annie: Vintage scarf. On Erin: Vintage scarf.

Out of the four techniques shown in the videos above, which one are you most likely to rock on your own?

About ModCloth

, , , , , , ,

17 Responses to How to Twist and Tie Your Favorite Headscarves

1. Kait 12/17/2010 at 6:31 pm #

Any but the last I think.

The last two look like you’re trying to cover up a couple of goose eggs.

Unsuccessfully.

• Ashley 01/22/2011 at 3:11 pm #

I agree. I don’t know if I can seethe last video’s styles looking good on anyone, but the first looks are fantastic!

2. Lauren 12/17/2010 at 10:43 pm #

I have a gorgeous tartan-patterned scarf that I use for this — I always get a tonne of compliments when I wear it (:
    Nice tutorials!

3. Heather 12/18/2010 at 1:05 am #

I have short hair and a TON of scarves, and am always looking for new ways to wear them…thanks for the tips! (I don’t care for the last look so much, but the rest are pretty cute!)

4. antoinette 12/18/2010 at 3:26 pm #

very cute…except the last one isnt for me…

5. Liz @ Law Mama 12/19/2010 at 5:19 pm #

Ooh, fun! I’m always looking for ways to deal with dirty hair between hair washing days… these are great & stylish!

6. Sophie 12/19/2010 at 7:33 pm #

love the bows! I’ve also been trying to incorporate head scarves into my wardrobe because I’m letting my *very* curly hair get long for the first time in a while, and sometimes I need to tie it up (stylishly!) or it will be a squirrel’s nest. Thanks for the tips!

7. Ellie 12/19/2010 at 10:07 pm #

I really like the first two! They’re so cute!

8. Clara 12/20/2010 at 1:16 am #

I love the first two the most!!! And Erin, I’m dying to cut my hair just like yours :)

9. Jaci 12/20/2010 at 5:46 am #

I already rock the looks in the first and third videos a lot… mostly whenever my hair isn’t cooperating with me in the morning. I can’t wait to try out the second videos looks, but I’m actually more excited about the fourth video. From the comments I can see that most people aren’t a fan of that one, which I can understand. I guess I tend to veer towards the more unusual. :)

10. Lydia 12/20/2010 at 12:41 pm #

I needed these ages ago! So many awkward scarf times could have been avoided, ha ha! I love these tutorials, now I will be a master of head scarf-ery!

11. Meghan 12/23/2010 at 10:28 am #

Great tutorials. I would love something like this for ways to tie scarves for the neck as well. I’m terrible at that.

12. Victoria / Justice Pirate 12/27/2010 at 11:23 am #

These are amazing!!!! Love them.

13. Victoria / Justice Pirate 12/27/2010 at 11:25 am #

Love how erin laughed at the end of the last one too by the way.

14. Susan 01/13/2011 at 3:06 pm #

So so cute! I have thick, long hair, and I love keeping it off my face/out of my eyes with a head scarf! Especially bumming a ride in a friend of mine’s convertible! I also highly recommend wearing oversized sunglasses or aviators to add even more of a vintage girly look!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Scarves | Soulknits - 10/09/2013

[…] Ways to Tie a Scarf? That’s just the beginning. Be sure to check out 37 Ways to Tie a Scarf and How to Twist and Tie Your Favorite Headscarves  for even more inspiration to take your favorite scarf to the next […]