2010 has been an exciting year for the ModCloth Blog, with everything from our big redesign to our first Fashion Week. So, just to make sure you didn’t miss anything, we rounded up some of this year’s most memorable posts…
1. Skants Skants Revolution — All we wanna do is skants! For April Fool’s, we wiggled our legs into our stretchiest sweaters to announce the newest trend in fashion: skants! Like the strangers who witnessed us set up our faux Street Style photo, you responded with both laughter and horror. Relive skants part 1, part 2, part 3, and part 4.
2. Brief Interviews with Awesome Women — Revisit our interviews with inspirational, kick-butt women such as Mythbuster Kari Byron, book designer Aya Akazawa, Bobbi Brown, The Uniform Project’s Sheena Matheiken, artist-bloggers Caitlin Shearer and Katie Sokoler, embroidery entrepreneur Jenny Hart, and Feministing.com’s Jessica Valenti.
3. Size of the Times — You’ve heard it everywhere—the fashion industry is finally embracing fuller figures! But does the recent popularity of plus-size models mean progress, or is this all just a trend? Read our “Size of the Times” series to find out. In Part I, we discuss the media and women’s bodies. Part II features an interview with our additional size model, Mandy, and Part III expands upon ModCloth’s experience with additional size fashion.
4. A Dream in the Making — Lights, camera, fashion! We can’t get enough of our latest behind-the-scenes stylebook video. Can you?
5. How to Twist and Tie Your Favorite Headscarves —Looking for new ways to style old scarves? Blog writers Annie and Erin will show you how to tie a turban or sweet bow in these video tutorials!
6. Waves of Whimsy: Get the Look! and Choose Your Own Bag Adventure — Talented young illustrators Jessica M. and Taylor Shields brought posts like our “Waves of Whimsy” hair and make-up tutorial and our “Choose Your Own Bag Adventure” to life.
7. Vintage Sexism: Cheer Up! Edition — “You’re looking cranky. Must be that time of the month, huh?” Actually, no. In this Vintage Sexism, we expressed our frustration with the age-old rule that women should always “put on a happy face,” and found we weren’t the only ones feeling the pressure.
8. Channeling the Cosmos Guide — In this astronomy-inspired guide, we featured our favorite space-themed products, sci-fi heroines, vintage space art, and cosmically cool music.
9. Cats in Sweaters. That is All. — Man, you guys really liked this post.
10. Making ‘Spirits’ Bright — Fashion writer Julie plays bartender in the kitchen, and shows us how to make holiday drinks that will floor your guests (interpret that as you will).
11. Lit Lovers Unite for Banned Books Week! — In honor of Banned Books Week, we asked our employees about their favorite banned books, and were delighted to see you guys share your own recommendations and thoughts about literary censorship.
12. A Letter from Susan — Our little company experienced big changes this year, starting with the opening of our West Coast offices! Hard to believe we were once run out of Susan’s dorm room! In 2010, we also introduced eco-friendly packaging, redesigned the blog, launched Latest Looks, brought on new faces like Erin of Calivintage — and we’re just warming up for an even bigger-and-better 2011!
We hope you enjoyed this year’s posts as much as we liked writing them. Oh, and if there are any features you particularly liked or disliked, or ideas you’d like us to cover, let us know!
Happy New Year, and thanks for being the best readers ever!