Style Resolutions 2011: The Beginning

PinterestTwitterEmailFacebooktumblr

In spite of all our pomp and chatter about our fabulous New Year’s resolutions, we blog writers know that by midyear, most of these declarations will be a mere memory. Like most people, we’re just as good at forgetting about resolutions as we are proclaiming them. But this year, no more!

This year, your blog writers–Erin, Annie, and Jenn–are holding themselves accountable for their 2011 style resolutions. How? By keeping a public record of our progress with a new, monthly blog series. Every few weeks, we’ll share our outfit photos and fashion notes as we work through our individual sartorial goals. We’ve already scheduled recurring photo shoots and check in points so that we’re regularly quizzed for progress. If anyone fails to come to a photo shoot, or deserts our team challenge, then punishments will be meted. (We haven’t settled on a punishment yet, but we imagine it will probably involve forcing the offender to wear something like this for an entire day.)

So, without further ado, here are our resolutions…

In Erin’s thoughts: Feather or Haute Dress, Vintage Rare Specimen Dress, and Super Sly Bracelet.

1. Wear more bold graphic prints and patterns.
2. Accessorize with jewelry more.
3. Incorporate more vintage into my outfits.

“Even though my style is always evolving, I find the New Year to be the perfect time for a fresh start. I decided that 2011 will be the year I finally push myself to incorporate bold graphic prints and patterns into my wardrobe. I love a good print, but somehow all those fruity, floral, novelty prints end up as a figment of my imagination rather than a part of my wardrobe. On that same tip, I’ve always been a bit intimidated by jewelry, so I’m going to try adding a bit of flair to my outfits. I mean, really, how have I avoided sparkly, shiny things all this time? And, I know this might sound silly coming from a girl who writes a blog called Calivintage, but my biggest goal this year is to fit more vintage into my outfits. I’ve always loved vintage, but with my busy schedule, I have found it harder and harder to find the time to hit up thrift shops and vintage boutiques to hunt for vintage treasures, despite the fact that it has long-been one of my favorite pastimes! So, my third resolution is not only about style, but also about taking the time to do what I love.”

In Jenn’s thoughts: So Important Dress, Kettle Corn Dress in Coral, and Considering Confections Dress.

1. Create unusual color and prints combinations.
2. Wear bolder, brighter colors.
3. Wear more florals!

“There are few fashion spreads I love as much as this March 2010 Elle editorial. I still find myself endlessly inspired by the effortlessly hip mashing of prints and colors, and have been meaning to practice this mix-and-match styling in my own wardrobe since I first saw that photo shoot. This year, I’m going to make it happen! My second goal is to end my decades-long diet of muted blues, blacks, and greys, and wear brighter, bolder colors. Tangerines and tart lemon yellows. Fire engine red. Other scary colors that I have avoided all my life, because I’ve been too chicken. Last resolution? Plant some floral pieces in my wardrobe, but in a way that fits my style. I’m not one for lace, florals, or other romantic details, but Christopher Kane’s wonderfully unexpected florals in his Fall 2010 collection have convinced me that florals don’t always have to be sweet.”

In Annie’s thoughts: Sheer We Go Top, Electric Light Flat, and Bow With the Flow Hair Clips.

1. Master the art of layering.
2. Acquire more fun flats.
3. Have fun with hair accessories.

“Here in San Francisco, the climate can go from spring to summer to fall within the course of a day. As a recent West Coast transplant, I’ve heard that the best way to conquer these peculiar weather patterns is to wear plenty of layers, hence resolution numero uno! I like exploring my new city, which includes learning more about its varied geography and public transportation system, so fashionable flats are essential for someone who typically likes to traipse in heels. Finally, I feel like my hair is in a stage that can only be described as ‘awkward,’ so to compensate for my locks’ lack of agenda, I want to try sporting more hair accessories to add a finishing touch to my ensembles.”

Do you have any style resolutions of your own? Or–gulp–suggestions for what our punishment could be?

, , , , , , ,

21 Responses to Style Resolutions 2011: The Beginning

1. Natalie B (ModCloth) 01/07/2011 at 8:10 pm #

Admirable style resolutions all around! I can’t wait to see the results AND the punishment if someone bails! May I suggest… Pajama Jeans? :)

• Joy 01/08/2011 at 5:15 pm #

Yes, this. Pajama Jeans, please.

2. Sarah (ModCloth) 01/07/2011 at 8:27 pm #

I will absolutely be checking out your cute stylings in the office and making sure you’re holding true to these resolutions! Great post!

3. Kaelah Bee 01/07/2011 at 8:35 pm #

I think Annie’s resolutions are right up there with my own!

4. Liz 01/07/2011 at 10:44 pm #

Love Erin’s resolutions, I’m going to search for some prints and new colors this weekend!

• Erin (ModCloth) 01/08/2011 at 2:18 pm #

I’m excited to see what prints you find on your shopping trip! Definitely stop back in and share your progress with us!

5. Kayla J 01/07/2011 at 10:55 pm #

Erin sounds just like me. All 3 of her resolutions are things I always complain about in my wardrobe. Good luck!

• Erin (ModCloth) 01/08/2011 at 2:20 pm #

Thanks Kayla! It will be fun to share the trials and tribulations of this new endeavor!

6. Sarita 01/08/2011 at 10:40 am #

My sick sense of humor hopes that someone falls off the resolution wagon. The punishment…..wow, that “dress” with the dogs was hideous! Can that be topped?

7. Jessica 01/08/2011 at 11:24 am #

i always tell myself to be more feminine but thats just not going to happen for me, but i love to look at the blogs and daydream. Good luck everyone.

8. antoinette 01/08/2011 at 7:46 pm #

ahh…i like annie’s resolutions. perhaps because she is my namesake ;) can’t get enough of bows in my hair!

9. Kimberly 01/09/2011 at 4:51 am #

I love the style of your clothes but I wish I could search by size. I’m at least an XL, but everything seems to only be S,M,L. If I could see what was available to me, it wouldn’t cause such a disappointment knowing that an item I see and like wont fit.

10. Diana 01/09/2011 at 12:36 pm #

Prints, accessories, and heels are my resolutions. These
    are fashion stylings that have always escaped me!

11. Nicola 01/10/2011 at 1:53 am #

more vintage would be a great addition to my wardrobe also – better make sure the house my family is building this year has lots of wardrobe space in my room!

12. Julie (ModCloth) 01/10/2011 at 9:49 am #

I think this year I’m going to try to make more of my own clothing, or at least adapt vintage finds. I have so many grand ideas, just need to make time for them!

13. Mini (ModCloth) 01/10/2011 at 3:00 pm #

Jenn, that Elle link! BEAUTIFUL. Saving that one for inspiration.

14. Litda 01/11/2011 at 10:25 pm #

My resolution was to have 60%-70% of my clothing
    homemade/altered and to wear more dresses.

15. Chardenzy 01/13/2011 at 6:00 pm #

I must say that Annie’s goals are the ones that I can get down with the most. Though I’d like to incorporate Erin’s resolution of accessorizing with jewelry more often, too! I have loads; I might as well use it. As for the punishment for ye who bails, I believe wearing one of those Bump-Its is in order. The big one.

16. Katharine Ellis Tapley 02/06/2011 at 7:47 am #

Wow. That caftan might be a little too harsh. That was just…wow. Wow.

17. Lalanii 02/06/2011 at 7:31 pm #

How cute! I love Erin’s idea for more vintage! Jenn’s bold, bright dress is eye-dorable, and Annie… the flats, the accessories! Dream gig guys!