Touring South Philly with Tick Tock Vintage

Tick tock, tick tock! Vacation always ends sooner than we’d like, which is why we’re already daydreaming of future trip destinations. If you’ve ever considered perusing Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, then we’ve got just the tour guide: Veronika of Tick Tock Vintage.

“If you’re making a trip to Philadelphia, you won’t want to miss the East Passyunk neighborhood,” says the East Coast style blogger. “In the heart of South Philadelphia, Passyunk Avenue is lined with tiny boutique stores and restaurants. Here are some of my favorite picks!”

Veronika wears the First Draft Cardigan, Strong Foundation Dress, Cafe Au Lait Socks, and In With the New Heel in Mustard.

1. Sweet Jane Vintage: “This gorgeous vintage shop is in the heart of Passyunk Avenue. Their collection is beautifully curated, with a wide array of printed dresses, pencil skirts, and silky blouses. Heels and boots decorate tables and shelves, and accessories are hung on the wall like art. The owners frequently have art hanging in the shop, and celebrate First Friday. If you’re in the area, I definitely recommend stopping by! You’ll be sure to find a vintage piece to add to your collection.”

2. B2. “B2 is easily my favorite coffee shop on Passyunk. There’s a huge menu of drinks; everything from coffee to tea to smoothies to hot chocolate. Drinks are served in glass tumblers with a hand-knit cozy. You’ll also find a wide array of baked goods (like vegan donuts and vanilla cupcakes!). My favorite snack is the Gorgonzola, apple, and honey bagel sandwich. There’s free wi-fi and the huge windows that line the coffee shop make it perfect for people watching. You’re also able to bring your pup inside, which I definitely take advantage of!”

3. Green Aisle Grocery. “Ran out of milk? Perhaps looking for locally made artisan cheese? Or gourmet chocolate? Look no further than Green Aisle! A very small grocery shop on Passyunk Avenue, Green Aisle carries some of the best local food in the area. You’ll find homemade whoopie pies (try the Red Velvet!), Indian food from Etka, and local vegetables. The owners are very friendly and always offer samples and recommendations on new products.”

4. Cantina Los Caballitos. “South Philadelphia is chock-full of corner Mexican restaurants and take-aways, but the Cantina is by far my favorite. While the menu doesn’t necessarily consist of authentic Mexican food, you will find a large selection of ridiculously delicious food (including vegan and vegetarian options!). The Cantina is know for their margaritas, which come in some of the most unique flavors: blood orange, passion fruit, guava, and prickly pear. Be sure to try the Mexican corn on the cob and the vegetarian quesadilla with wild mushrooms.”

Thanks for the lovely tour, Veronika! For those of you familiar with South Philly and the city in general, do you have anything to add to the list?

About ModCloth

, , , , ,

22 Responses to Touring South Philly with Tick Tock Vintage

1. Dara 01/07/2011 at 4:20 pm #

Great suggestions! If you’re ever in Philadelphia, definitely stop by one of the four Capogiro Gelato shops in town. Their flavors are absolutely amazing, locally made, and ever-changing.

2. Victoria / Justice Pirate 01/07/2011 at 5:05 pm #

aww hooray for Veronika!!! I love her blog. This was such an amazing entry!! Thanks for touring your area for us!

3. Jess (ModCloth) 01/07/2011 at 5:11 pm #

I love these suggestions! Last time I was in Philly, I got an amazing pair of pale yellow high-waisted shorts from Sweet Jane Vintage and also enjoyed a blood orange margarita (…more like 3) at Cantina Los Caballitos. Awesome.

4. nicola 01/07/2011 at 8:08 pm #

i think this is my favorite travel bug entry! and her outfit and look is terrific

5. Kaelah Bee 01/07/2011 at 8:34 pm #

Never been to Philly but I’ll definitely put these on my list of “must sees” once I venture that way! That Green Aisle Grocery looks so cute!

6. soundchick 01/07/2011 at 11:38 pm #

Absolutely Love the Vintage looks! will be sure to stop by the next time I’m in Philly!

7. Kirstin Marie 01/08/2011 at 12:36 pm #

Absolutely lovely outfit, wonderful photos!

8. Meghan 01/08/2011 at 1:49 pm #

This looks like an amazing place to live. I love her style and her blog and her town and everything!!

9. Joy 01/08/2011 at 5:03 pm #

I never thought about wearing socks like that over tights. It seems so obvious now.

Oh, and Go Packers!

• Mary 01/14/2011 at 3:17 am #

Joy, I agree whole-heartedly on both the socks over tights and the Packers!

10. Scott 01/08/2011 at 8:47 pm #

As a Philadelphian I really enjoyed reading this. You forgot to mention the cheesesteaks.. Whats the matta wit U?

11. Jessica 01/08/2011 at 10:21 pm #

Awww this made me homesick….I miss Philly. And be sure to check out The Print Center, great little gallery and the oldest print gallery in the US. And a former employer of yours truely. :) There’s always great fashion going on in there with all the chic artists.

12. Molly 01/09/2011 at 11:41 am #

I’m also born and bred in Philly. While I love South Philly
    and lived there for 3 years, West Philly is my new favorite area.
    Clark Park hosts great events like a weekly farmers market and
    Shakespeare in the Park. Milk and Honey serves up tasty vegetarian
    sandwiches and homemade ice cream treats, and also runs a small
    organic, locally sourced grocery selection. As for bars, Fiume
    (which rests on top of an Ethiopian restaurant) has an impressive
    100+ bottle collection and Local 44′s draught selection is top
    notch. Finally, you can’t get a better brunch than at Gold Standard
    Cafe!

13. Valentina 01/09/2011 at 2:34 pm #

This is such a great post! I love this gal’s style.

14. Sara 01/09/2011 at 3:13 pm #

Thank you for this post! I’ve lived in the Philadelphia suburbs all of my life, but I’ve only just recently discovered life outside of Center City! Thanks for inspiring my next trip into the city :)

15. Zelda 01/10/2011 at 9:51 am #

A lovely vintage blog !

16. Francesca M 01/11/2011 at 4:50 am #

Hey everyone! I’m a modcloth customer and think these looks
    are really fun. It would be cool to get some user opinions on
    travel fashion for my travel blog

17. hannah 01/11/2011 at 11:09 pm #

i couldn’t have done it better! cantina happy hr is the
    best and i have yet to stop by green grocer, but i heard they have
    a rad lox sandwich!

18. Sara 01/12/2011 at 11:21 am #

I’ve lived in both South Philly and West Philly – two very unique and vibrant neighborhoods, but East Passyunk is by far the best – I love the old school Italian charm mixed with the influx of Mexican and Vietnamese immigrants (who have also brought amazing food!).
    Other places not to miss:

* The Pub on Passyunk East (or as we call it, the POPE) for a huge selection of beer and the dark, cavernous feel of an old English pub
    * Nice Things Handmade for a wide selection of – handmade! – cards, jewelry, and clothing
    * Marra’s for some of the city’s best pizza
    * 1601, a cute little corner bar that features new artists every month and has yummy food (sweet potato fries!)

Walking north on Passyunk towards the Italian Market is fun, too!

19. Samantha 01/12/2011 at 12:15 pm #

I am an East Passyunker and she definitely hit on some of our treasures. I second Sara’s list above — esp. Nice Things Handmade. Also, Wake Up Yoga and it’s Bija Yoga shop are great.

• Sara 01/13/2011 at 10:47 am #

Wake Up Yoga – good call, Samantha!

I also forgot Chhaya on Passyunk! Awesome brunch and coffee.

While a little off the path from Passyunk, crossing over Broad over to Newbold for the South Philadelphia Tap Room and Ultimo Coffee/Brew at 15th and Mifflin is so worth it, too.

20. Sammi♥ 01/13/2011 at 5:28 pm #

I LOVE this site / blog and all and now with this post about Vintage Philly *south of where I live, I am in heaven, YAY!!! ♥ Wish you guys the best♥ love your store/pages, just keepin it real! Take care. ♥