Style Glossary: Breton Stripes

From the left: The On a Friendly Shore Top, On Collar Top, Stripe the Good Stripe Top.

I know spring feels incomprehensibly distant when your current morning routine includes defrosting your windshield, but spring will be here before you know it–we promise! Like so many warm weather seasons before it, one of the biggest projected trends for spring 2011 is nautical. We’ve cast our net far and wide and realized that the quintessential nautical style staple is breton stripes.

These horizontal stripes originated in the French region of Brittany in 1858 as the standard shirt uniform for the French Navy. Eventually, the graphic print, traditionally in navy blue, black, or red, made its way into mainstream fashion.

Does the even print of breton stripes appeal to your aesthetic?

Share:FacebookPinterestTwitterGoogle+tumblr

, , , , , , , , , ,

9 Responses to Style Glossary: Breton Stripes

1. Portia 01/18/2011 at 5:23 pm #

Luuurve Breton. Or should I say J’adore?!

2. nanne 01/18/2011 at 5:30 pm #

love your fashion dictionary!!

i always thought “reticule” was a fabulous name for a purse…

3. Lauren Helen 01/18/2011 at 7:10 pm #

I love the red or navy breton stripes much more than the black, but really, I love them all :) It’s nice to put a name to them!

4. Christina 01/18/2011 at 7:39 pm #

Thanks for teaching me the correct terminology! I always say I love those nautical stripes!

5. Madeleine Louise 01/18/2011 at 7:57 pm #

I must say, I was excited to see such fabulous stripes on your blog!
    But I was even more excited when a question on Jeopardy came up about the correct name for them, and I could answer it. Thanks, ModCloth! :)

6. Tori 01/18/2011 at 8:26 pm #

OH MY GOSH! I was just watching Jeopardy and one of the question was asking about navy horizontal stripes that sometimes appear in Navy outfits. This is so coincidental.

7. Caroline 01/18/2011 at 11:09 pm #

Always in style. Everyone should own at least one item like these!!

8. Katharine Ellis Tapley 01/19/2011 at 10:17 am #

I have a Breton stripe sweater in white and navy, and I love it. I actually have to remind myself not to wear it all the time. I worked for Nautica for a while, and that’s where I got it. Every time I wore it, at least three of them sold. It’s just so classic and looks good on everyone.

9. carolina 01/27/2011 at 9:43 pm #

Stripes are going to be big this season!!! http://carolinabenoit.com/2011/01/27/get-your-stripes-on/