One Maxi Dress, Styled Three Ways!

In Pricing Specialist Katie’s outfit: Hush Hush Cardigan, Newly Coined Necklace, Eye in the Sky Heel, Along For the Ride Bag.

Maxi dresses aren’t only for the tall or long-legged! We asked three employees, each of a different height and style preference, to model one of our favorite feminine frocks, the ethereal Shoreline Saunter Dress. The results? Sartorial proof that maxi dresses, or skirts, are not only flattering, but also quite versatile.

In ModSquad Coordinator & PR Assistant Emily’s outfit: Throw For a Curve Blazer, Magnificent Magnolia Necklace, Baracus Bracelet, Roping Elegance Belt, Presto Heel.

In Social Media Specialist Ashley’s outfit: Olive Tree Leaves Sweater, Necklace de Plume, Candid Chronicles Boots.

Are you on board with the spring maxi trend? How would you style the Shoreline Saunter Dress?

Share:FacebookPinterestTwitterGoogle+tumblr

25 Responses to One Maxi Dress, Styled Three Ways!

1. Portia 01/20/2011 at 6:10 pm #

Loving the pared down lookin the 3rd photo.

2. Natasha (ModCloth) 01/20/2011 at 6:14 pm #

All 3 of you look so great in this dress! :)

3. Kokoa 01/20/2011 at 6:55 pm #

The third look is amazing!! I always wondered how to dress down a Maxi dress and now I know :o)

4. Courtney 01/20/2011 at 9:35 pm #

I love Emily!…. and the dress!

5. Shannon 01/20/2011 at 11:17 pm #

I adore all the looks but Ashley’s look is amazing! So chic!!

6. bnana 01/20/2011 at 11:35 pm #

I love the way these three chose to style their outfits, but I really wish this post had included which ones had what figure. I read this post because at 5’2″ with an hourglass figure, i don’t think i could pull off a maxi, but the post mentions that maxis are possible for all sizes. i just wish I could know how which one was the shorter girl and how she did it :D

• Emily (ModCloth) 01/21/2011 at 1:32 pm #

Hey Bnana, at 5’2″, I am the petite body type! I absolutely love maxi dresses and believe any body type can pull them off. My advice is to stick with styles that won’t overwhelm you such as smaller prints and neutral colors. While the Shoreline Saunter Dress has a busier pattern, pairing it with a solid blazer or cardigan will help tone it down. Also, be sure the blazer or cardigan hits you right above or on the hip – this will help elongate your legs. Of course, a fab high heel never hurts either!

• bnana 01/22/2011 at 7:40 pm #

Thank you for the advice emily! I will definitely try out your tips.

• Melissa 01/25/2011 at 8:27 pm #

I would say any of these would look good on a petite woman. I’m the same height myself, and I think the key to the illusion of height here is proportions. Maybe substitute a cropped cardigan for the second look and add a skinny belt to pull in the waist for the third to keep from drowning a small frame. Just a suggestion! :)

7. Cheyne 01/21/2011 at 2:16 am #

Really love the last look! Bold move pairing the maxi with a shoe without a heel. And the necklace is gorgeous.

8. vicki 01/21/2011 at 5:51 am #

ooh all three girls look great but i esp love how ashley at the end styled it. I would love to know more about her job role in modcloth and what it entails? also love to know more about what emily does. these are two areas id love to get into. :) xo

• Ashley (ModCloth) 01/21/2011 at 5:55 pm #

Hi Vicki!

Thanks so much! As ModCloth’s Social Media Specialist, my job is to strike up conversations and connect with our fans on a daily basis through our social networks and communities. We are always inspired by our wonderful community, and read every bit of information and feedback that you send our way!

P.S. If you’re interested in exploring those areas at ModCloth, be sure to follow @ModClothCareers on Twitter! :)

• Emily (ModCloth) 01/21/2011 at 5:56 pm #

Hey Vicki!

The ModSquad is ModCloth’s street team of brand ambassadors that consists of our most dedicated fans. As the ModSquad Coordinator, my job is to coordinate and implement ModSquad projects to help us gain insight into our amazing customers’ minds. These projects can include customer surveys, contests, and special promotions, all of which are exclusive to the ModSquad! Keep your eyes peeled because the ModSquad will be recruiting in the near future!

As the PR Assistant, I help our PR Specialist in all blogger relations efforts. This means I help coordinate sponsorships and monitor blogs to keep track of which stylish ladies are incorporating ModCloth into their wardrobes! I also assist in the planning of PR projects and events, which is a lot of fun!

9. Charlotte 01/21/2011 at 12:33 pm #

I like maxi dresses very simple, just a pair of simple wedged sandals or a flat gladiator sandal, and long dangly earrings. But these all look great!

10. Lauren Helen 01/21/2011 at 2:35 pm #

Emily is adorable x)
    Ashley’s styling of it was my favourite though!
    A great article because I didn’t think I was tall enough to wear a maxi dress, but now I’m thinking maybe I am! :D

11. Cera 01/21/2011 at 3:48 pm #

i think the third picture is fabulous! she looks amazing & the dress is totally cute.

12. Siri 01/21/2011 at 3:55 pm #

I adore the maxi dress trend (also the maxi skirt trend). When I was little I was obsessed with historical fashion from, like, the 1700s, (well still am) and there was a period wouldn’t wear a dress that fell higher than my ankle. Now I wear mostly short skirts, but I absolutely love the way I feel in a maxi dress (breezy, sophisticated, down-to-earth, romantic, different) and I can’t wait to have money to hop on this trend…
    and yes, I’m fairly petite. =)
    you’re all adorable.

• Annie (ModCloth) 01/21/2011 at 6:15 pm #

Historical fashion rules! We’re always looking for new content to feature in our “Obsolete Fashion” category. If you have any suggestions, Siri, please send those our way – blog@modcloth.com!

13. Nicola 01/21/2011 at 4:18 pm #

I LOVE maxi dresses! I have about 5 already.

14. Rebecca 01/21/2011 at 11:31 pm #

I’m still three months away from spring, so I’d wear it with a grey crew-neck sweater, a black cowl scarf, leggings and boots.

15. Kristen Renee 01/22/2011 at 10:19 am #

Maxi dresses are awesome! I have four.. I think… let me raid the closet and look for sure!

16. Lizzie 01/23/2011 at 6:02 pm #

These girls look beautiful, but they are all super thin. Where is modcloth’s size-positivity? I’d love to see different sized girls who actually represent different sizes.

17. Dina 01/24/2011 at 11:04 am #

Oh come now, Emily. We all know you can’t hail a taxi in Pittsburgh! ;o)

18. Kayla 01/24/2011 at 12:20 pm #

Love this! I wish I could wear maxi dresses but I’m afraid I’m much too short to pull it off. :(

• Jenn (ModCloth) 01/24/2011 at 1:04 pm #

Don’t say that until you’ve tried one! :) Emily (the middle model) and I are both around 5’2″, and have found little tricks to help us sport maxis.

Emily suggests sticking with styles that won’t overwhelm petite frames, like smaller prints, and pairing it with blazers or cardis that hit you right above or on the hip to elongate your frame. I’ve found that empire waists, or looping a skinny belt around that area, is another way to achieve that effect! Add a comfy pair of wedges for extra height, and you’re good to go!