Oatmeal Muffins with Cardamom and Walnuts

It may be the Year of the Rabbit soon, but, in my kitchen, it’s also the Year of the Muffin. I feel that this baked good is under appreciated, so for 2011 I’m making a different muffin each month! Join me on my quest to explore the sweet, the savory, and the marvelous world of muffins!

For my kick-off recipe, I was inspired by The Nesting Project’s Cardamom Walnut Oatmeal recipe. And, since January is apparently National Oatmeal Month, I just had to make these.

Oatmeal Muffins with Cardamom and Walnuts
Makes 1 dozen regular sized muffins.

1 cup of milk
1 cup of quick oats
1 egg
¼ cup of vegetable oil
1 cup of flour
¼ cup of sugar
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of ground cardamom
½ cup of roughly crushed walnuts

1. Preheat oven at 425°F. Combine milk and oats and let sit for 10-15 minutes.
2. Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and cardamom in a bowl. Set aside.
3. Whisk together the egg and oil.
4. Add the soaked oatmeal and milk mixture to the oil and egg.
5. Gently stir in the sifted mixture to the wet mixture.
6. Fold in crushed walnuts. (I just put the nuts in a plastic bag and pounded them with a coffee mug!)
7. Add batter to a muffin tin, filling each greased cup about two-thirds of the way.
8. Sprinkle some oats and walnuts on top of the muffin batter.
9. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Test a muffin with a toothpick. If it comes out clean, they’re done!

Be sure to check back next month to see what muffins made their way to my heart! And, if you have any suggestions for a muffin you want to see, holla at me by leaving a comment below!

About Angela

Someday, Angela will be tending to her sheep, llamas and alpacas on the “Yarn Farm” and raising award winning honey bees. Until then, the native Pittsburgher is enjoying all things related to knitting, her cats, Mr. Spock, red lipstick, and creativity. Writing is her first true love.

15 Responses to Oatmeal Muffins with Cardamom and Walnuts

1. Ariska 01/24/2011 at 1:32 pm #

They make me feel hungry!

2. Rosaspina Vintage 01/24/2011 at 4:02 pm #

Ohhh a different muffin each month! You can count me in ;D
    Ale

3. Julianne (ModCloth) 01/24/2011 at 4:47 pm #

Wow, Angela, these look and sound amazing! Apparently, we are kitchen soulmates.

4. Renee 01/24/2011 at 6:15 pm #

I’m super excited for the thought of a new muffin every month! But cardamom is so expensive at all the stores around here, I think I’ll pass on this one. Can’t wait for the next one, though!

• Angela (ModCloth) 01/24/2011 at 7:12 pm #

I hear you on the price of cardamom. I bought a jar of ground cardamom from the grocery store. It was about $10 on sale, but I have used it for many recipes and it won’t run out for a long time.

Still, you can substitute cinnamon for cardamom and get a similar flavor. :)

5. Lauren Helen 01/24/2011 at 6:31 pm #

This is hilarious because I have been on a muffin-obsession lately! Muffins are simply the perfect food! Breakfast muffins have been my favourite… There is a delicious one with sharp cheddar cheese and a surprise of a cube of cream cheese and a bit of jam in the centre: http://www.grouprecipes.com/117383/cheddar-cheese-surprise-muffins.html

6. Roxanne the Dainty Librarian 01/24/2011 at 6:55 pm #

These sound so yummy! I love making mini muffins, they’re the perfect snack and can be frozen for later (though the hardly ever make it all the way to the freezer).

7. LadyBee 01/26/2011 at 10:34 am #

I baked these last night at 10:00. By 8:00 this morning, my two brothers had eaten them all. Must be tasty!

8. Tiffany Rosenberger 01/26/2011 at 2:19 pm #

What a great take on that oatmeal recipe! I love cardamom. Can’t wait to try this recipe.

9. Annie (ModCloth) 01/26/2011 at 2:48 pm #

Angela! I love this idea! February is my birthday month, so I hope the muffin du jour is extra delicious;) Although, I can’t see why it wouldn’t be!

10. Natalie 01/28/2011 at 3:01 am #

YUM! Just made these and they are pretty darn tasty. Although, I felt like I was cheating a little bit… Put cardamom in anything and it becomes instantly delicious! Am I right?

Thanks for the recipe!!

11. Lee 03/24/2011 at 1:35 am #

ModCloth, I love this series of food recipes you guys have been doing lately! SCRUMPTIOUS.

12. Nancy Remling 11/17/2011 at 3:55 pm #

I have made these several times, and they are amazing. Tonight I am going to put a little chopped honey crisp apple in them along with everything else. Yummy. Thank you so much for the recipe. :):)