Listening to Lissie

Image by Valerie Phillips, via Lissie.com.

Just when you think you’re on top of the music scene, a friend slips you a song that puts all of your other tracks on hold. I gotta lotta lovin’ for the one who introduced me to American folk-rock artist, Lissie, a musician I knew nothing about until hearing her cover of Kid Cudi’s “Pursuit of Happiness,” which had me hooked from start to finish.

Kind of like Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros’ “Home,” Lissie’s “Little Lovin’” effortlessly evokes that warm-and-fuzzy feeling inside. Shed inspiring sounds on this spring with the vocals of this young Stevie Nicks sing-a-like, whom, after releasing her debut album, Catching a Tiger, last August, snagged the standing as Paste‘s #1 solo artist of 2010. I guess that means I’m a little late on the boat, but, better late than never!

Do you have a song of the moment that was suggested by a friend? Do share! (We’re friends too!)

Or, if you know of an up-and-coming musician that deserves a little lovin’, e-mail us at music@modcloth.com!

About Julianne

Julie Since graduating from the "Center for Kids Who Can't Read Good and Wanna Learn to Do Other Stuff Good Too," Julie's aptness for the written word picked up steam like a runaway train. Her journey thus far has been fueled by an adventurous heart, creative mind, and love of breakfast, baking, and bacon. She often makes social situations more awkward than they need to be and loves the word "scrumtrulescent!"

6 Responses to Listening to Lissie

1. Lauren 02/01/2011 at 1:36 pm #

I saw her open up for City & Colour, she was pretty cool!

2. Sarah 02/01/2011 at 2:10 pm #

I’ve been listening to her music for awhile now and I’m super pumped that she’s on the modcloth blog! Her live show is AMAZING.

3. Ellie 02/01/2011 at 4:21 pm #

I just recently heard her music! She has an amazing voice, and I love “Everywhere I Go” so much.

4. Cat 02/01/2011 at 7:45 pm #

I’ve seen her on Watch Listen Tell, and she’s amazing. I totally love her. :D

5. Kate 02/03/2011 at 11:46 am #

Amazon suggested her when Catching A Tiger was an EP! They sure were ahead of the times with that one… She was basically the soundtrack to my summer! Loves me some Lissie!
    And the Temper Trap were the suggestion of a friend, listening now! :)

6. atolenfromgrandma 02/06/2011 at 1:27 am #

her voice is amazing! thank you so much for posting about her modcloth :) off to download some of her tunes <3