Today’s Special: Beets!

Moogie and Pap’s Beet Ravioli with Poppy Seed Butter, RAWk Me’s Mixed Veggie Salad, and Beet Ice Cream from the Daley Dish.

Food bloggers have got the ‘beet’ with their luscious Beta vulgaris creations.

Also called beetroot, this vegetable is an impressive deep red, yet has a mild taste best played up with vinegar. Their dark, staining color used to scare me. However on a trip to Denver last year, where pickled beets accompanied almost every salad I ate, my fear had been ‘beet.’

Try them with fresh clementines and avocados, as crispy baked chips with sea salt, or pair with goat cheese. What about shaping sliced beets into hearts for Valentine’s Day? Or, even a beet-inspired look? Go on. Just ‘beet’ it.

11 Responses to Today’s Special: Beets!

1. Annie (ModCloth) 02/01/2011 at 4:41 pm #

Beets are, without a doubt, my very favorite vegetable! I’m not a great cook, so I usually make a dinner of roasted beets, potatoes, garlic, and asparagus a few times a week. Simply chop up said veggies, lather ‘em in a mixture of olive oil, fresh rosemary, black pepper, and stone ground mustard, and bake for about 45 minutes. The results are insanely delicious!

2. Julie (ModCloth) 02/01/2011 at 7:24 pm #

That sounds awesome, Annie, and I am going to try it. And Angela, those ravioli look insane! I tried beets for the first time in a salad probably a few months ago and quite enjoyed ‘em. I would love to come across more beet recipes!

3. sparkles 02/01/2011 at 7:26 pm #

tinned beetroot has always been big in our household – they’re great in burgers, and my dad is a massive fan of cheese and beetroot sandwiches.

but just last night i made a salad with spinach, beetroot, red onion, chick peas, and feta. It was delicious. I call it my pretty in pink salad.
    Photos if anyone’s interested.

4. Raw_Girl 02/02/2011 at 9:03 am #

Hey, noticed some traffic coming from this page. Thanks for the linkback! You’ve made my salad photo look so much better than whats on my blog :P
    if you’re doing a spinach special next time, drop on by. Actually most veggies are well represented on my blog, but have a soft spot for spinahc.

Cheers

Zen

• Angela (ModCloth) 02/02/2011 at 10:20 am #

I’m glad to have found your salad! The photos of it on your blog look just as amazing! RAWk Me is a great blog for veggies lovers!

5. kate 02/02/2011 at 12:09 pm #

dwight k schrute would be very proud (:

6. Katharine Ellis Tapley 02/03/2011 at 7:46 am #

You read my mind, kate!

I don’t know about the beet sorbet. It seems like something I’d try if it was put in front of me, but can’t see myself actively going after. When it comes to veggies in my desserts, I prefer zucchini and carrots.

7. Sarah 02/05/2011 at 5:25 pm #

I LOVE beets! I roast them with other root veggies, along with a bit of olive oil, basil, and a bunch of balsamic vinegar. There’s also a super delicious beet & greens risotto recipe in Deborah Madison’s book Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone.

8. Dariel 02/08/2011 at 4:46 am #

A very colourful dish with beet roots as the ingredient. Great choice and it look supper yummy and healthy! :)