Daily Dose of Inspiration: The Pacific Northwest

I’ve never traveled to the Pacific Northwest, but I’ve been enchanted by its stately vistas and rugged geography for quite some time. I guess my infatuation with America’s northwest corner began when I watched The Goonies for the first time. As a kid, I thought Mikey’s foggy seaside neighborhood was the coolest place in the world–way more exciting than my small, landlocked hometown in rural Pennsylvania. My love for Pacific Northwest imagery was solidified even more when I saw Twin Peaks. Douglas firs, rapid waterfalls, and moss-covered boulders gave each episode an eerie dose of intrigue, and the opening landscape credits get me every time. With all of this in mind, I’ve decided to embrace a Pacific Northwest aesthetic in my wardrobe this year. Check out the inspiration board above, and the inspirational images below, and let me know what you think!

Image via Cosmic Dust.

Image via Astral Fox.

Image via The Selby.

Collage image credits: Girl pointing via Rebecca of The Clothes Horse, Chris Benz Spring 2011, Meryl Smith’s feather decor via The Selby, Pamela Love’s hanging terrarium via The Selby, Ring collection via Cosmic Dust, Girl in the forest via Ringo, have a banana!, Forest editorial via La Mignonette, Washington state mountain peaks via In Twin Peaks, Girl in the woods via Elizabeth of Delightfully Tacky, Girl sitting on a wood pile via Obsessee.

, ,

17 Responses to Daily Dose of Inspiration: The Pacific Northwest

1. Cindy (ModCloth) 02/03/2011 at 5:51 pm #

Beautiful! As a self-confessed Twin Peaks freak, I love the rustic atmosphere and imagery of the settings (and the overall aesthetic of the show)! It has such a timeless quality.

2. Richard (ModCloth) 02/03/2011 at 6:36 pm #

I second everything you’ve said, Annie! I also can’t wait to make my first visit to the PNW.

3. Leah 02/03/2011 at 7:48 pm #

I live there! I feel like I take it for granted sometimes, but it is truly beautiful.

4. Liz 02/03/2011 at 10:38 pm #

Im obsessed with twin peaks. ill admit ive drawn some fashion inspiration from it. Not Nadines though!

5. Jaime 02/03/2011 at 11:36 pm #

I love the Goonies (and Twin Peaks) as well. But, that’s not what made me want to visit the Northwest states. Reading a National Geographic Kids (I also read the big kids version ;) article about two brothers living in Spokane, Washington, and I instantly developed a crazy crush on the older brother (he was my age;11) who I didn’t even know. Yeah, after that, I researched the states there and fell in love. I’d love to live in Portland one day.

6. Klara 02/04/2011 at 4:19 am #

Twin Peaks is one of my favorite series ever. I love Audrey.

7. Laura 02/04/2011 at 9:04 am #

As a native PNWerner who now lives on the East coast, these images almost brought me to tears! I so miss my people of the PNW and the scenery… sigh. As a kid I definitely took the beauty for granted. What I don’t miss is the dreariness. That can be hard to take day after day – BUT when it’s a gorgeous day on the PNW, it’s amazingly gorgeous!

8. Erinn 02/04/2011 at 11:19 am #

I grew up there and miss it everyday now that I live in AZ.

9. Ashley 02/04/2011 at 1:17 pm #

I live there! Well, I used to. Jaime, I’m sorry to disappoint you, but I now live in Spokane and it doesn’t share that wet and wild beauty that the west side of Washington possesses. It is truly an incredible place, but there is definitely and exchange for all that beauty: rain. I never was bothered by it, but a lot of people have problems with the amount of rain that occurs along the coast of Washington, Oregon, and Northern California. Like Laura it almost brings me to tears because I miss it so much. Great article!

10. You dress like a librarian 02/04/2011 at 2:57 pm #

Twin Peaks!!! I think the best TP fashion accessory is the log. Getting to carry around a log purse would be pretty ridiculous.

11. Mattie Babb 02/04/2011 at 6:44 pm #

Oh my!!! I love clothing inspired by different areas of the world. There is something so enticing and magical about your choices!! Beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

12. Emily Z 02/05/2011 at 11:40 pm #

As a Pacific Northwesterner, I am so very pleased by this post. I live in Bellingham, WA and while I grow very tired of the wind and rain at times, there’s nowhere else I’d rather be :)

13. Liz 02/06/2011 at 1:07 am #

Yay, the PNW rocks! Well mainly Seattle and Portland, the eastern sides of the states are another story…

14. Blair 02/06/2011 at 3:55 pm #

Woah, Liz ;) as someone from the east side of the PNW, I can tell you that we hold just has much beauty as the west side. That’s what’s so great about the PNW, you can go from rainforest to mountains to deserts in a mere matter of hours. My family has lived here since the 1890′s…and it sure holds a special place in my heart.

15. G 02/06/2011 at 4:36 pm #

That collage is great, but you’re missing the sparkly vampires and angsty hipster Portlanders.

Seriously though, I grew up in Seattle and live in Spokane now, and both sides of Washington State and the PNW are great in their own ways. Beautiful mountains, ski hills everywhere, great weather, and some of the best wine, food, and music in the country.

16. Kerri 02/07/2011 at 12:45 pm #

Love this area and this aesthetic. Gorgeous! Went on a road trip up there a few summers back, and it was one of the best trips I’ve been on! I love the water, and the greeness.

17. suzanne 03/25/2011 at 3:45 pm #

this inspiration board makes me miss home so much! i grew up in the good ol’ PNW and miss it everyday. it’s funny to see things on here that are very PNW-esque yet are everyday items for me. i guess that means i’m a Washington girl for life!