A Serendipitous Music Discovery

I have a confession. As a reformed music snob, this is kinda embarrassing… Alright, deep breath. Here we go: I discovered my new favorite singer through a Honda CR-V commercial. Now, let me explain…

It seems like advertisers’ game du jour is “Who Can Find the Catchiest Obscure Indie Song for a Commercial.” Most of the time, I find myself muttering things like, “For realsies, Band of Horses?” But, the other day, I was serenaded into silence by an angelic voice… in a Honda commercial.  What?! Whose ethereal musical talent has Honda discovered before me?

“Google, don’t fail me now!” I shouted at my laptop as I typed “Honda+commercial+song” into the search bar. No relevant results. So, I added “2011” onto the search terms. Bingo! Song credit: Mr. Little Jeans, “The Rescue Song”.

Naturally, the first thing I did was bust open iTunes and rush to pony up 99 cents of my hard-earned money. Welp, guess what? iTunes didn’t have it! That made me feel better–I wasn’t alone. Honda had defeated both me and iTunes.

I still had to have the song, though, and my internet sleuthing eventually led me to one of the raddest websites I’ve encountered in a long time: RCRD LBL. With a mix of blog blurbs, artist bio pages, and scores of free downloads that run the gamut from hip-hop to techno, it’s like having a music scene insider as a BFF. Plus, you can sign up for their daily newsletter, which also offers  free mp3s.

As it turned out, I not only found and downloaded Mr. Little Jeans’ “The Rescue Song,” but also a whole host of other amazing new songs. They now live in my iTunes library, and I’ll admit–I get a smug sense of satisfaction when I click on “The Rescue Song” and Genius says, “iTunes sidebar could not find matches for your specific selection.” But, then I remember that I heard the song in a Honda commercial and my indie music ego shrinks back down to size.

So, while Honda may have won this round, thanks to RCRD LBL, I have no doubt that I’ll be on top of the indie game from now on. Check out the playlist below, featuring some fierce new finds courtesy of my new fave site (after ModCloth, of course), and then skip over to their site to discover your new favorite song!

P.S. There’s a really cool band I wanted to include in this playlist, but I couldn’t find a single link! They’re Gypsyblood, and they have so much indie street cred, you may spontaneously sprout an ironic mustache while listening to their music! Get three free tracks right here and thank us later, after you shave that ‘stache.

12 Responses to A Serendipitous Music Discovery

1. Julia 03/08/2011 at 6:59 pm #

Thanks for the tip-off. This site is fantastic!

2. Kenzie 03/08/2011 at 7:33 pm #

Reminds me of how I discovered Shiny Toy Guns through their Lincoln commercials.

3. Irene 03/08/2011 at 8:12 pm #

Whoa! That site is amazing.
    Thanks so much for sharing.<3

P.S. Really had fun reading the entire post!

4. Hannah (ModCloth) 03/08/2011 at 8:32 pm #

I’ve been wanting new ways to find music. I think you just answered my unscreamed call. Excellent post! Thanks!

5. Lynsi 03/08/2011 at 11:16 pm #

I discovered Led Zepplin while watching the Winter Olympics. Commercials have good music. Especially Apple and car commercials.

6. Sarah Lynn 03/09/2011 at 2:26 pm #

Oh wow. This is a crazy wonderful find. I think all my free time is going to be spent going through this site for the next few weeks.

7. Fi 03/09/2011 at 3:37 pm #

Hi! Cheers for the recommendation! If you want to be super ninja and keep ahead of the eight ball, check out

triple j unearthed: [http://www.triplejunearthed.com/]
    A bevy of free Aussie indie music, some of my favourites include The Harry Heart Chrysalis, Dead Letter Chorus, San cisco and Lanie Lane

Or

indie soup running [http://www.indiesouprunner.com/] : Amazing to run to, even better to veg out on the coach eating a bowl of cereal

Or me! I try to keep my finger on the pulse via my blog at

xo
    Fi

8. sofia 03/09/2011 at 4:33 pm #

You can use adtunes.com to help find music from commercials and stuff. A lot of users contribute to the forums so you can usually get good results.

9. Elissa 03/09/2011 at 8:22 pm #

I hate the pretentious attitude that people have when it comes to indie music. Who cares if you found a song you like on a commercial, or that a commercial features your favorite indie band and that somehow cheapens it. Why can’t you just like a song because you like it and just enjoy it?

10. Audrey 03/11/2011 at 1:15 pm #

spinner.com also has good free music downloads. I found the “Nadine” song on there as well.

11. Lauren 03/13/2011 at 6:35 pm #

How safe is the RCRD LBL website to download from?

• Natalie (ModCloth) 03/16/2011 at 6:34 pm #

It’s totes safe! I’ve been using it for a while now, and just add ‘em to my iTunes library. Haven’t encountered a single problem. :)